Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Sco Sco started this thread

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When bussing started in the 60s, unlike in the south where there were riots, with a few exceptions (South High and Truesdell), the black students were welcomed into the previously all white schools.
This is just a blatant lie, the whites did not welcome the black students into the schools. As soon as bussing and integration became the norm, whites started fleeing into the suburbs where they could be fairly certain that their children wouldn't have to go to school with too many minority students. It was fairly common for white families to go so far as to move out of the city so their children wouldn't have to attend school in a black neighborhood as soon as they were chosen to be bused.

Entire suburbs like Derby and Andover exist mainly so middle class whites will not have to live near or put their children in schools with blacks and latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
This is just a blatant lie, the whites did not welcome the black students into the schools. As soon as bussing and integration became the norm, whites started fleeing into the suburbs where they could be fairly certain that their children wouldn't have to go to school with too many minority students. It was fairly common for white families to go so far as to move out of the city so their children wouldn't have to attend school in a black neighborhood as soon as they were chosen to be bused.

Entire suburbs like Derby and Andover exist mainly so middle class whites will not have to live near or put their children in schools with blacks and latinos.
THIS is a blatant lie. You can't answer for the 45k to 50k people living in the suburbs. YOU are being the ignorant one by grouping all of those people into one.

I agree with KevK on this one.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Location: Wichita, KS relocating Next Year... thinking Richmond/ Charlotte areas
11 posts, read 34,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Wichita is not racist. It is one of the LEAST racist places in the USA. It has a black Mayor despite being 80% white and it had another black Mayor in the early 60s (A Price Woodard) when such a thing would have been unheard of in most of the country. When bussing started in the 60s, unlike in the south where there were riots, with a few exceptions (South High and Truesdell), the black students were welcomed into the previously all white schools.
That is not saying that Wichita is, by any means, perfect. It has had problems too but when compared with most of the rest of the country, it is 100% ahead and always has been on race relations. Nobody cares if you are married to a black person or if you have bi racial kids. Few of them will even look twice.
I am black, and i wouldn't consider Wichita racist... yes i may be young and in the younger generation but I haven't ever ran into racism at all... so whoever was stating that is incorrect. I agree with KevK... I think that its moreso black people looking crazy at interracial relationships than the white people. Its sad that this thread has become about race. I think that Wichita is a good place for all races, and i think that people judge Wichita based on what they THINK Wichita is rather than their personal experiences here.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 PM

266 posts, read 832,018 times
Quote:

Historically. many Wichita suburbs have been racist. I've taught in a couple of them. And they're pretty racist. Perhaps times have changed and will keep on changing. But, it's not a lie to say that historically these communities have been racist, they have been. Where I work now the biggest putdown after "gay" and "retard" is "You Jew." And, it's 2009. Even in Wichita schools I've had a building administrator tell me, "I'd have a decent school if I could just get rid of the damn blacks." And it was a middle schools and she was talking about 12-14-year-olds.

I think things are better than they were 30 years ago, but I don't think race relations in metro Wichtia are ahead of the curve.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
Historically. many Wichita suburbs have been racist. I've taught in a couple of them. And they're pretty racist. Perhaps times have changed and will keep on changing. But, it's not a lie to say that historically these communities have been racist, they have been. Where I work now the biggest putdown after "gay" and "retard" is "You Jew." And, it's 2009. Even in Wichita schools I've had a building administrator tell me, "I'd have a decent school if I could just get rid of the damn blacks." And it was a middle schools and she was talking about 12-14-year-olds.

I think things are better than they were 30 years ago, but I don't think race relations in metro Wichtia are ahead of the curve.
Well, I've LIVED in the suburbs over the past 20 years, and what you say is simply not true. They are not racist! I agree with other posters that the Wichita area is racially diverse and has good race relations amongst its citizens.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,168 times
I'm Black and I was Stationed in Wichita in the 60's and I didn't find much personal racism but I found a lot of institutional racism. I lived in Wichita for 2 years and really enjoyed myself. I believe that racism exists through out this country. But I think the younger people seem to be more open. I have heard that whites in wichita are more vocal about their racism. I have heard of incidences in wichita but I've heard of racism all over the country. Instead complaining we need to try and see what each other's problems are and work towards solutions and try not to be angry about. If we just complain racism will always be there. We need to act on each other's behalf no matter what color or belief. I know most people have heard this before but did we ever earnestly act on it?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:

Actually that is incorrect. As a METRO, Wichita is on the LOWER end of the percentage of people that live outside the city limits. It is probably about 10-15% of the population. Here in Atlanta, almost 90% live out of the city. It is common in larger cities for more than half to live outside the city in suburbs.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM

49 posts, read 88,378 times
This hasn't much to do with race, but there was a thread about whether gays are accepted in Wichita. All I can tell you about that is I have never, even living in N. California, had so many people openly refer to "my wife" (lesbians) and "my partner" -- (my gay supervisor). Kansas is not at all what people think.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM

124 posts, read 173,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChrista View Post
I am black, and i wouldn't consider Wichita racist... yes i may be young and in the younger generation but I haven't ever ran into racism at all... so whoever was stating that is incorrect. I agree with KevK... I think that its moreso black people looking crazy at interracial relationships than the white people. Its sad that this thread has become about race. I think that Wichita is a good place for all races, and i think that people judge Wichita based on what they THINK Wichita is rather than their personal experiences here.

It might not be racist for black people but it's racist for other types of people...for instance Arabs like me.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyzodd View Post
This hasn't much to do with race, but there was a thread about whether gays are accepted in Wichita. All I can tell you about that is I have never, even living in N. California, had so many people openly refer to "my wife" (lesbians) and "my partner" -- (my gay supervisor). Kansas is not at all what people think.
Do you know that Wichita was the SECOND city in the USA to pass laws banning discrimination against gays? Yes, it was later repealed but most other cities did not even TRY to do such a thing in the mid 1970s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita