Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone.
My husband has accepted a job in Wichita and I'm trying to prepare myself for my first big move. I'm from Northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes away from Chicago. We have (more than) our fair share of crime in our city and we are used to a culturally/racially diverse setting.
I've read several threads on here and it looks like the areas we are aiming towards are Andover, Goddard, Riverside, and Haysville.
Being from a city where Chicago is close, stores are just down the road, and there are plenty of things to do, I'm wondering what people do for fun in those areas. I have a 2-year-old son so I'm looking for family-friendly activities.

I currently work as a Medical Assistant for a gastroenterology group, and I absolutely love what I do. Are there a lot of Doctor's offices/clinics in the area? We're a pretty young family and to leave everything I know scares the hell out of me. Any advice I can get on what to expect will help out a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 AM

93 posts, read 138,105 times
Disclaimer: I currently live in Dallas but grew up in the Wichita area before moving 4 years ago, but visit several times a year.

Wichita is a nice small city that has everything you need and is easy to get around in. To address your questions:

Crime:
There are pockets in town where crime is relatively high, but nothing like what some areas in Chicago have. In nicer areas (northeast and northwest side) and suburbs, you can comfortably walk outside after dark without fear of being mugged.

Culture/Diversity:
Wichita is not the most diverse area, but does have sizable black, Asian and Indian populations to name a few. I suspect the large aerospace industry as well as Koch Industries are responsible for a lot of the city's international population. There are ethnic restaurants of all kinds - just like any big city but scaled down. For the arts, there is a good scene for a city it's size: opera, ballet, theatre, museums, as well as a monthly art gallery crawl near downtown. Lastly, despite being located in a very conservative state in the bible belt, it's not hard to meet people of various political persuasions. Though, as you might expect, the farther from the center of town you go, the whiter and more conservative it gets.

Fun/family-friendly activities:
The Zoo is fantastic and rivals zoos of much larger cities. There is Exploration Place which is a very nice interactive science museum and great for kids (and adults). Wichita has some world-class movie theaters (Warren Theatres) that meet or exceed what I've been to in the Dallas area. There a many parks throughout the city, including Riverside Park where kids can feed the ducks and look at animals in the "mini-zoo". There are 2 main malls in the city as well as all the usual chains scattered throughout town. Overall, the Wichita area is big on family values and have a lot of activities/events that cater to families.

Places to live:
For raising a family while being close to stores etc, I'd look at the following: Andover, Maize, far Northeast Wichita, far Northwest Wichita, Bel Aire, Derby. I would probably scratch Haysville off your list (I grew up there - not much to do and not the nicest suburb). Goddard is nice, though a bit far out. In Wichita, College Hill and Riverside are very beautiful areas with lots of trees and old homes - the downside is the proximity to some of Wichita's highest-crime areas. Though if you can afford it, there are very safe pockets within either neighborhood.

Doctor's offices/clinics:
There are plenty of these throughout the metro area. There's especially a high concentration of offices/specialized clinics in the northeast part of town, but it's easy to commute to just about anywhere in Wichita.

I hope this has been helpful and good luck!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 PM
upw

6 posts, read 17,771 times
GuitarArt1980 summed it up very well. I sent you a direct message about how to handle the relocation specifically from Chicago (since I grew-up in Chicago and then moved to Wichita before moving to Seattle back to Chicago then to San Antonio and now am in the process of making one final move back to Wichita (that has been the best city-personality match for me)). In short, Wichita has elements of down home (plenty of greasy spoons) and fine cuisine (there is a shop on Douglas that specializes in spices, coffees, and teas and there is a shop on the west side that specializes in varieties of olive oil and vinegar). It also is full of ways to join in an lend a hand. Living can be interesting without always having a particular place to go, but that does not mean that there aren't places to be. There are many events that visit Century II (and parking/traffic doesn't at all compare to the craziness around such events in larger cities). Even if there isn't a special event scheduled, there are overtones of the old west, Native American culture, Amish life, and farm country. Wichita is where I learned to country dance and ultimately compete (there is a regional circuit ACDA and an international circuit UCWDC). The city is generally actively interested in ties to the past, trying new things, and people being people. It is a great place (in my opinion, of course) for Makers/Doers, especially with the local knowledge set and Internet access to supplies from around the world. For young children, there are Montessori and PreSchool/PreK options for preparing them to be successful in Kindergarten on up. Activity-wise, Dillons/libraries used to carry free publications listing opportunities for families/kids that would be worth looking for. There is also information online at Family Fun in Wichita. Exploratorium, the Zoo, CowTown re-enactments, and the Botanic Gardens are just a few places that immediately come to my mind. Seasonally, there are also sporting events, hayrides/pumpkin patches, car shows, craft shows, rodeos, farmer markets, county/state fairs, etc. And, do make plans to attend RiverFest. The button is truly inexpensive in comparison to the number of activities that it supports. Additionally, there are riding stables, ice/rollar rinks, bowling alleys, and art galleries/studios in the area. (If you play golf, yes, there are also golf courses in the area.) Additionally the park district has many well-priced activities for children. Many lessons/activities are available for adults/kids through schools, colleges, studios, etc. Generally prices are very reasonable. It is very much a Maker/Doer type of town that tends to value interactions with others. For something out of the ordinary, many people travel to county fairs, rodeos, renaissance fairs, and state parks that are beyond the border of the city. Many travel to OK, western KS, etc as well as some of the larger cities, such as OKC and KC. When I miss Chicago or Manhattan, I visit them. There is an easily accessible airport in Wichita (I usually take SouthWest since it flies into San Antonio, Seattle, and Chicago-Midway; but there are other carriers, as well). There's an Amtrak stop in Newton that my Chicago family has used (they traveled from LaGrange, IL to Newton, KS and I drove up to greet them...I actually look forward to using this station to take several cross-country train rides after I retire). There is also a Greyhound stop in Wichita. Most people, however, just drive. Even places like Dallas, Hot Springs and Denver are possibilities for a 3-day weekend. The biggest advice that I can give you is to not expect to find Chicago in Wichita. (Just to name one difference, you'll wait much longer for a bus in Wichita than you will in Chicago.) Rather, you will find Wichita in Wichita. Chicago is like no other place. Similarly, after having lived in Wichita, I would also say that Wichita is like no other place (trust me, I have tried to find in other places and failed time and again). Several people have moved to Wichita and been pleased with the "large county seat" feel of the place. Others have grown-up in Wichita and can't wait to leave to live in "bigger cities". It depends on what you're looking for in life whether Wichita will be a good fit for you or not. Nobody will ever be impressed when you say that you live in Wichita in the same way that they will be impressed if you say that you live in Wriggleyville or downtown Manhattan (shoot, half the time people will think you're talking about Wichita Falls, TX). Then again, you will secretly know that you aren't paying half the price in real estate/taxes that they are in Chicago/Manhattan, either. Nobody will drop their jaw in awe if you take them to the Art Institute of Chicago and then you take them to the Wichita Art Museum (though they have a nice collection of art and one of the best hidden gems of a cafe in town). But, if Wichita is your style, you'll enjoy the little things that make the city special (and can rarely be explained to someone who just "doesn't get it"): the tendency of people to talk to each other and help each (regardless of walk of life), the ability to come together to survive and restore after storms, the simple make-it-work attitude, the come-as-you-are mentality, the joy in little things, the variety that is available in such a small space, the emphasis on interfaith/interconnectedness/learning, the freedom to try new things/be creative/take a chance. There is a gritty side to Wichita, but for some of us, things that are too pristine/institutional are boring. We aren't afraid to have wind-blown hair and car grease/garden dirt/ceiling paint to clean-out from under our nails. Personally, I'm looking forward to returning to the edges of Wichita to start a small homestead like those artisanal farms I saw around Seattle. I am close enough to the city (and via plane/train/automobile) close enough to even bigger cities to satisfy that aspect of my life. And, I am happy to go home, look over an open space, watch the birds, go fishing, raise a few animals, taste a splendid cinnamon roll, and look up at the starry sky in a way that inspires the artist and nature-lover in me. It's not Chicago (though there are parts of Chicago that still hold a place in pictures on my walls); but in many ways, for me, it was better. Best wishes in your move. Let me know if there is any way I can help. I provided my email address in my direct message. As I said in the direct message, I strongly encourage you to rent until you have been in Wichita long enough to decide where you tend to go and where you prefer to permanently live. Don't judge too quickly and give people a chance. Wichitans can come in a variety of exteriors, but most I have met have been awesome/interesting people to know (for one reason or other). Also, whenever you move to a new place (Wichita, Seattle, whatever), take care of yourself. Only lend what you can afford to lose. Be yourself, but be open to new experiences. Visit your old home as often as you need, but not so much that you fail give the new home a chance. It usually takes a while to get comfortable in a new place. Take time. Do what you need to do to make it work but expect it to take a few months or even a year to really feel like you belong. If there is any chance that it is a good fit, you'll start seeing little perks in the most unexpected places (if you don't bulldoze through them). Don't worry. Don't hurry (literally, watch that speed ). Enjoy the adventure and welcome to Wichita.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:09 PM

26 posts, read 60,757 times
UPW,

Man, please learn to separate out your sentences/paragraphs. That block is pretty much impossible to read. Not to mention this topic is pretty old (I love how little activity there is on the Wichita board).

I don't know if the OP is still looking at this. There is a Gastro Office at K96 and Greenwich/Webb area. I would highly recommend Derby or Andover. Also NE Wichita is quite nice as well.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 PM

396 posts, read 992,305 times
Personally while it was difficult to read without paragraphs, it was worth the read. It's nice to hear people's genuine feelings about a place. I believe that's the best way to get a feel for something. Thanks, UPW.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 PM
upw

Sorry. I don't normally post here or any place online. I'm used to writing much longer pieces for print. I tried to make paragraphs but it apparently didn't work. My error. My apologies. This is obviously not the place for me to try to help.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:36 PM
upw

Let's try this one last time. It appears that paragraphs are going to work today. I am very sorry if I offended anyone with my technical difficulties. I assure you, I do know how to write paragraphs. The lack of paragraphs didn't bother me much because the "free stream of thought" is a stylistic approach that I have used (with positive feedback) in other places, but since I don't post often I didn't realize how daunting it would look here, especially to people who are basically used to bullets and tweets.

I have to admit, at first I was hurt that someone from a city that has always been so 'roll with the flow' would be so quick and unforgiving of such a small technical error. The people that I knew in Wichita were some of the most helpful, intelligent, understanding (yet tough) people I had ever met; but if that personality of the city had changed, I needed to reconsider my unyielding efforts to return to Wichita and start giving more consideration to the employers who were recruiting me to other places. Almost 100% of my decision to move back to KS was because of the positive interactions that I had enjoyed with the city's people, so if that had changed, my plan to move there needed to change too.

If I had received such a comment on a post about Chicago or even Seattle, I wouldn't have been surprised. If it were on a post about LA or NYC, it would have nearly been expected. But, to receive it on one about Wichita caught me off-guard. So I called a friend there and asked if things had changed that much over the past 10 years (visiting a city doesn't always tell the whole story). He said that, indeed, now (more than before) there were a few people (mainly those who had recently moved to the area) who were quick to negatively judge the locals (because they like to show off their stuff and most locals (whether they have a lot of money or not) couldn't care less); but, for the most part, he said, Wichita was just the same old Wichita (for better or for worse). Then, in true Wichita fashion, he reminded me that folks just react to things differently and the world didn't end because I put too many words back to back for "some online format". (He is so typical of the area. I can be hard on myself and years of city living have made me edgier than I probably should be. But, if I want to live to old age, the more laid back style of Shocker country really is a "must" for me. )

With regard to my having responded to an older post, I don't understand why that is such an odd concept. Asynchronous communication and the ability to learn from previously posted threads are some of the greatest benefits of the internet. Information stays on the Internet (and especially City-data, since posts are not allowed to be edited or deleted) for an indefinite period of time. It is not uncommon for people with questions similar to those of the OP to read comments on an old thread rather than posting the question to the forum again.

With regard to the Wichita threads being slow, one of the things that I love about the city is the pride that many there have in their ability to do things without the computer/cell phone. People talk (with their mouths) to each other. When I attended a recent event at Century II, I pulled out my phone to do something and the vendor laughed and proudly stated that '(her) phone stays in the car'. So not only would the boards be slow because it is a small city compared to many in the country; but also because many in town value doing things in person rather than typing things online.

Regardless, if my zeal was offensive, I apologize. Ever since I moved to some "unknown" city called Wichita to complete my graduate degrees, I have had the goal of returning to live out my final days there. (Man, that makes me sound older than I really am, but it's true.) I apologize if my passion and enthusiasm for the area were lost or unappreciated as a result of the "blockiness" of my post.

I simply don't think Wichita gets the credit it deserves, especially from people who move there with the expectation that it will be a "cheaper version of Chicago" or a "cheaper version of Los Angeles" or a "cheaper version of (anyplace)". People who want that type of city life need to save up the money (or do what many do and rent the tiny place downtown with the hole in the floor, just to get started) and move to those cities. There is no such thing as a "cheaper version of Chicago". For better and for worse, Chicago is Chicago. I love Chicago (its vibe, its history, etc) but I also like clear skies and rocking chairs.

There are nuances that people who love Wichita enjoy. (I know several who, like me, have moved to Wichita from big, sophisticated cities to complete tasks (with the full intention of returning home to their big cities when they were done) and ended up wanting to make Wichita "home", by choice. And, unlike the locals in some places that I have lived, the locals here seem more than happy give us outsiders a chance (which is something that is important, at least to me).)

There is a lot less pressure and a lot more opportunity for an average individual to make a difference in places like Wichita than there generally is in larger cities and their surrounding suburbs. Drifters are common and so are dreamers. During my stroll through a recent cultural event in town, I ended up having 4 lengthy conversations (not started by me) about who I was and what I do and 4 serious requests that I get involved (to which I had to confess that I currently live out of town). It is a place that is perfect for "do-ers".

The community tends to be quick to support people who are trying something new (especially if they genuinely have the community in mind). (Again, the words of the vendor at the Century II event epitomize the feeling in the air. 'I know they opened one of those big chain restaurants up the street, but give me a "ma and pa" any day. Those big places don't care. Besides, it always tastes better when the owner puts it on the plate.' People here tend to care more about each other, know each other more deeply, and readily help even a stranger (at least that has been my experience).

If a place needs to have people with a lot of glam/money, exotic homes, and a lot of pampering/entertainment venues to be fulfilling, if everything needs to be polished and seemingly perfect (beyond reproach), I can recommend several busy cities that try to specialize in these. But, if the look of the open sky and the feel of dirt sitting beneath your feet (stirred up by a wicked storm on a regular basis) invigorates you more than the release of the most exclusive (to date) Rolex watch, then Wichita might be the right spot for you.

That was my point. (And, here are my paragraphs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita