Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

OK yall. I'm considering a move up to Wichita for work. I've got a family of 5 and looking for someplace family friendly.

I've been reading up on the College Hill area. Seems to be some nice older houses with character in that area for reasonable money (in some cases)....but maybe a bit too old though....I'm not a carpenter and I'd just assume my income was dedicated to something other than home repairs.

But maybe the suburbs are the place to be if you can't be in the College Hill area? no? I'm in a suburb-ish area at the moment in Fort Worth. It's ok I suppose. I'd like to find a place where the kids could run around the neighborhood without getting capped in a drive-by.

So if you could choose where would you live? Andover? Derby? Goddard? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM

61 posts, read 269,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
OK yall. I'm considering a move up to Wichita for work. I've got a family of 5 and looking for someplace family friendly.

I've been reading up on the College Hill area. Seems to be some nice older houses with character in that area for reasonable money (in some cases)....but maybe a bit too old though....I'm not a carpenter and I'd just assume my income was dedicated to something other than home repairs.

But maybe the suburbs are the place to be if you can't be in the College Hill area? no? I'm in a suburb-ish area at the moment in Fort Worth. It's ok I suppose. I'd like to find a place where the kids could run around the neighborhood without getting capped in a drive-by.

So if you could choose where would you live? Andover? Derby? Goddard? And why?

There have already been several posts on this topic. Unfortunately it seems that some prior comments reflect ignorant and bigoted opinions about living in Wichita. I live in the College Hill area ( Crown Heights) and have a child, I don't worry about "drive bys." Like any city, it depends where you live. Just call the local police precincts to get the real story - not predjudiced opinions perhaps by people who don't even live here. I really like living in Wichita and live in a safe neighborhood. But if living in the "big bad city" frightens you in any way, the live in the suburbs. You can get a large cookie cutter house that was built in a few weeks for a reasonable price. Your kids can bike in the cul de sacs. Its all a trade off. There is crime everywhere these days, it just depends where you live.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM

I wasn't implying that your neighborhood is bad or not a proper place for kids. It just seems like the houses are a bit on the old side. I'd just assume not have to spend a good chunk of money only to have to spend another big chunk replacing every board and tile in the house.

From what I've heard about the college hill area it sounds like the TCU area of Fort Worth. A very good place to live but the houses are either very old and in need of repair or have already been completely renovated and cost a FORTUNE. I'm out of that picture either way. I'm just a working class nobody without a trust fund.

So what I'm asking is if you were going to live anywhere outside that area where would it be?

Crime does exist in the suburbs. I have first hand knowledge of that and I'm trying to find a place where my kids don't have to deal with it.

I'm just trying to do the research and find out what real people think.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
From my own personal experience, Valley Center is a great city literally 5 minutes north of Wichita, just east of Maize and just west of Park City and Bel Aire. The city's schools are excellent, it's quiet enough to relax and raise a family, yet it's extremely close to Wichita city limits. I would highly recommend Valley Center in your city search!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks athfo. I'll be sure to check it out.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:11 PM

I had the opportunity to visit Wichita over the last 4 days. I took a look at Andover, Maize, and Derby.

I was somewhat impressed with Andover and Maize. Seems like you can get more house for your dollar in Maize though.

Initially I drove down what I thought was the main strip in Derby and was very disappointed. It was nothing like what was discribed to me. Then I drove down Rock Road through Derby and found out what the fuss was about. Looks like it's going to be an up and coming place in the next few years with all the stores and new home developement going in there.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 PM

226 posts, read 576,335 times
I've been to Wichita, know people from there, and thus, know the city a little bit, and I think the eastern side of the metro is overall the most attractive side. The western side is growing too, and offers nice, new areas. If I were shopping for a new suburban home, though, and looked at everything overall, I would choose the eastern side, over towards Andover, KS. The NE side of town is really nice, too.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 15,587 times
We chose Derby for a number of reasons. Good school system, nice homes and a community with a lot going on. It feels like an independent community, not a suburb, because it has so much to offer. You should check out the Rec Center - great youth and adult programs.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 AM

16 posts, read 113,147 times
I've lived on the West side of Wichita all my life and think it's a GREAT area. Goddard or Maize are two of the best schools in the area. You should look at a place West of Tyler Rd. Rolling Hills is a decent area. My parents live in a neighborhood right across from the airport. Noise isn't a problem because you're not under the approach or takeoff areas. There is a golf course adjacent as well as a protected nature reserve with many walking trails. Goddard school district. Close to Buffalo Park. Neighborhood less than 20 years old. Other great neighborhoods would be in the 13th and Maize or 21st and Maize areas. That is in the Maize school district, new neighborhoods, many brand new shopping districts going up. Close to stores, restaurants, and close to Kellogg and I-235

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Anyplace in Wichita except the following areas:
1. NE Wichita between I-135, Hillside, Central and 21st street. Very dangerous area- not even safe to drive through after dark.
2. Planeview. Lots of gangs, thugs and other assorted losers in life.
3. The area on the south side of town known as Oaklawn. Technically it is not part of Wichita but it can be described as "the white man's ghetto". Mostly white trash- the kind you see on Jerry Springer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita