U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 30,621 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in the same small northern california town for my entire life.... 25 years... I have a few friends in witchita and need a change. Ive spent time a fair amount of time in sacramento/san fransico two very liberal cities.... im worried if i move to ks it might be to much of a culture shock. Also I have brown skin. Are people generally open minded to colored people? Also, for a 25 year old is there much of a social scene? Or do people typically hang out with friends at home? I will be introduced to a fair amount of people but it would be nice to meet people on my own. Ive done a fair amount of reading about the city itself, but dont find much on the social side. I almost have in my mind the majority of people being country music enjoying white city cowboys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM

22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobbyusa View Post
Ive lived in the same small northern california town for my entire life.... 25 years... I have a few friends in witchita and need a change. Ive spent time a fair amount of time in sacramento/san fransico two very liberal cities.... im worried if i move to ks it might be to much of a culture shock. Also I have brown skin. Are people generally open minded to colored people? Also, for a 25 year old is there much of a social scene? Or do people typically hang out with friends at home? I will be introduced to a fair amount of people but it would be nice to meet people on my own. Ive done a fair amount of reading about the city itself, but dont find much on the social side. I almost have in my mind the majority of people being country music enjoying white city cowboys.
It would likely be too much of a culture shock. If you want to move to the Midwest I would recommend Chicagoland or the Twin Cities, even the Kansas City metro area would be a better choice than Wichita.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM

11,037 posts, read 20,881,962 times
Quote:
I visit Wichita frequently and worked there on location several times while living in KC.

The city pretty slow paced and can even be called boring I guess, but for the size and location, I would say it's not a terrible place.

Wichita is just a smaller midwestern city. It's not really all that "country" like Oklahoma City or Fort Worth. It's definitely a blue collar city though.

If you are used to smaller cities in CA and visiting places like Sacramento and SF then living in Wichita and visiting KC or Dallas once in a while might work. I would say KC is going to offer much more, but if that's not an option or you have nobody there then Wichita could work. If you already know people there, that's huge. It's so much easier to move to a city with some friends or relatives already there than going to a new city blind.

Sacramento is a bigger city and it's near the coast, but it feels very midwestern compared to San Fransisco etc. KCMO seem much more uban and big cityish than Sacramento for example. Sacramento has a cowtown heritage and it's actually more apparent there than it is in Wichita.

I wouldn't worry about being "brown". I know people that live there that are Indian etc and no problems at all. Like I said, it's just a very average place like most midwestern cities.

You will give up being within a couple of hours of the ocean and mountains, although the Rockies are doable for a long weekend. Other than that, I'm sure you would be fine and probably enjoy your time in Wichita for at least a few years anyway.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 16 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 16,952,527 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "brown" or "colored". I haven't heard the word "colored" used in quite some time but where I come from, that meant "black". We have a lot of Hispanics that are brown here and a few others.

I am from MI and I would not recommend anyone that is black relocate to Kansas. There are a few other states I would also refrain from recommending and I lived in those states.

There is always culture shock when you move that amount of distance. I moved from MI to AK to MS to IN to KY to KS to AZ to NC to AL and every time it was culture shock. There is just so much to adjust to in the way things are done not to mention the weather changes. And, there's no place like home.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 AM

11,272 posts, read 11,302,153 times
The weather will take some getting used to. You will probably be using heat or air conditioning all year round. I remember staying in a motel once out in that part of California that had no heater or air conditioner in the room because it was so temperate all year round. Wichita is a big city (for Kansas) so if you are intent on going there you will probably have no problem finding some quarter to exist in relative political comfort.

An interesting story about Wichita
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,3475696&hl=en

Old 01-20-2016, 08:41 AM

1,166 posts, read 624,029 times
I grew up in California and relocated to Wichita recently for a job. You will experience major culture shock if you move to Wichita. It is not really all that "country" even though you will see plenty of faux cowboys driving jacked up trucks and hear plenty of country music in places like restaurants and retail stores. The city is very rundown looking, it appears to have fallen on hard times financially for at least a decade. The people are blue collar, trashy and largely uneducated. Life revolves around kids, sports and church. Nightlife is non existent, and the social scene mostly involves people hanging out with people they have known since high school. Very few young singles, it seems that most people get married and/or pregnant at a young age. Your brown skin will not be an issue if you avoid spending time in the suburban towns that surround Wichita. Towns like Derby, Maize and Andover are almost 100% white and a minority will not be warmly welcomed by most of the residents since they chose to live there to avoid contact with Wichita's minority population.

IMO, it is similar to living in the Central Valley like Stockton or Modesto with worse weather and in a more remote location. If I could go back and change things I would not move here. I am going to stay a few years so I don't trash my work history and get out of here ASAP.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM

22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I Very few young singles, it seems that most people get married and/or pregnant at a young age. .
In the case of Wichita and many other medium to smaller sized cities that is often the case, and is a big reason why single people that are a bit older find these places to be so difficult to adjust to. The "social culture" is quite often more conservative compared to larger cities and the coasts. That is just the fact of the matter.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:25 PM

11,037 posts, read 20,881,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
In the case of Wichita and many other medium to smaller sized cities that is often the case, and is a big reason why single people that are a bit older find these places to be so difficult to adjust to. The "social culture" is quite often more conservative compared to larger cities and the coasts. That is just the fact of the matter.
That's why I say the only reason the OP might be okay for a least a short stay is because they already know some people there. I would not even remotely consider it if they didn't know anybody there.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,413,953 times
Relocating from out west the biggest issue for me was the weather. . . where I grew up we never had what one would consider weather.

I was used to coming and going at any time throughout the year without wondering what the weather was, or would be in five minutes (can change that quickly at times). Now I have to pretty much plan my activities around the weather and even after living several decades back this way I still don't like it.

It is correct that heat or a/c will be used the majority of the year, and the monthly costs can vary based on the structure/insulation, and if in an apt which direction your windows face.

Oh one more thing, in your current area you're used to many nice weather days. . . back here when we get a 'nice day', that's about it, one day. . . but we still relish it.

The big plus for me living here (KC Metro) are the people. Without a doubt some of the nicest and most unselfish people I've ever known.

Last edited by katie45; 01-20-2016 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 01:45 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,062,608 times
Quote:
Wichita is somewhat diverse, but Wichita itself is fairly rundown in a lot of areas, but there are some neat places too. I lived near Riverside for a couple years and I liked it. There are a fair amount of hispanics, blacks, and Indians there. The cowboy culture is almost non-existent. That's more of Western Kansas thing. Old Town was a fun place to hang out, a few good bars and restaurants. Warren Theatres are pretty good if you enjoy movies. The largest IMAX in the US is in Wichita. I don't think you should have issues with your skin color, I had Indian and blacks friends and for the most part they didn't have issues, not saying something can't happen. Wichita is moderate politically relative to Kansas, they have Democratic state representatives, but is conservative relative to similar sized cities in other states. I never knew any Hispanics, but they are a sizable minority in Wichita. You'll probably experience some culture shock, but isn't that part of the fun of moving somewhere new? There are a lot of country music stations, but none of my friends listened to country music. It is a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita