Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 87,004 times

Advertisements

Preface: I've lived in Denver, OKC, KC (hated it), Dallas.

You want gripes? I've got gripes!

For a small city, there are numerous rude people here. I was hoping to get away from rude people (I thought Denver & KC were bad) but I think this is the worst place thus far.

My neighborhood is like high school. I like how the area looks but can't stand the residents. The neighbors are in constant competition among everybody else and their pretensive nature makes me sick. I've been accused of not minding my own business on several occasions (I noticed a suspicious person one night, geez! - I bet they're dealing!), but now they do their best to make my business theirs now. It's bad when you're afraid to mow your damn yard in fear of a disgruntled neighbor wanting to start something. Thank God I leased. I'm hopping over to the other side after this--give it a shot. (?)

But the neighbors are just a chip of an iceberg. People who work for the public don't give a rat's ass. Other people you encounter in public (like other shoppers) start altercations when you're really minding your own business, or do stupid things intentionally like getting in your way with their shopping cart. Asking them to move just starts altercations. I don't get it. I might as well be in Detroit or Philly or Brooklyn. But I'm in a decent area that seems developed a decade or two ago.

I've never received courteous customer service wherever I shop. You'd think customer service would be scaled up in a smaller city cuz if a place makes you mad then there are numerous alternatives at where you can shop, but it's evident nobody cares. "I just [barely, actually] work here" attitude. I had so many establishments I swore I'd never go back to that I'm back to square-one.

I have never hated people in general so much until I moved here, and I'm honestly very sorry to say this. Oddly enough, I work with people every day and about to stop my personal operations and find work at a company... (see another reason why below).

And the drivers! Yes, I'm used to dealing with lead-foots, tailgaters, lane-surfers, etc. Who cares. But it's apparent that people here often take driving maneuvers personally. It's just DRIVING! Someone can dangerously tailgate me, zoom in front of me, but then slow ME down, but God forbid I wanna pass them after their childish maneuver? Grow up. Or drivers intentionally not letting me onto a highway when I'm accelerating my best not to disrupt traffic and there's no reasonable explanation for their decision other than to be a butt hole. (If you pulled this in Dallas you'll likely cause a nasty pile-up -- and possibly be held responsible for a number of deaths.) I cannot understand what warrants the selfishness of causing a high-speed accident.

Once at a steakhouse I pulled into a parking spot and the driver of the truck next to me barked at me for trying to hit his pickup. I barked back, "Did I hit it?" "No." "Then what's the problem?" "You ALMOST hit it." "So you're saying you own the 15 inches of air all around your truck?" The only way to get him to stop harassing and verbally threatening me was by pulling my phone out of my pocket and threatening to call the police.

And once in a public parking lot in front of a large store I was walking to the store front and was kind enough to let a motorist go ahead before I crossed and he still had the snide audacity to roll down his window, shout profanities at me, threw his burning cigarette butt at me, then he floored it and which caused slush to be thrown all over me. (A rear-wheel drive dually, in fact.) Excuse the heck outta me for being nice WHILE minding my own business. (And, NO, it wasn't during Christmas. It was about two weeks ago.) After this event I stopped being nice and started getting real. I Had ENUF.

The hateful attitudes I notice from people make me wonder if they're just that unhappy living here. I'm used to an amount of rudeness but it only happens where it's warranted, not just because your life sucks. It's amazing, with the concealed gun laws here, that we haven't shot everybody dead yet! I've experienced so many negative situations with people here and I haven't even lived here a full year yet. Cheer up! Count your blessings! At least there's still a prevailing middle class here, unlike many other cities where the "haves" have a lot more and "have-nots" have a lot less.

Enough whining about people...now about roads

The inner city highway system seems outdated, with the exception of 96 and 254, both east of 135 (they seem rather new and have long on-ramps). On-ramps to 235 are often steep and short. Those may have worked fine back in the 55 speed-limit days, but not now.

Construction's prominent, especially on the east side, but there are still many city streets that do a number on your suspension system (try Pawnee). And many streets have no lane markings (or they've long worn off). I guess they put off road repair for too long before I moved here and now EVERYTHING's under construction. Was there a funding crisis before I moved here?

And I know there can be some confusing roads wherever you go, but dang! I've never found so many potentially dangerous interchanges in one city. If you're not familiar with some of these interchanges, or are not fully awake, you'll find yourself upside-down off the ramp into the body of water beneath. A posted exit sign with 15 MPH on it means just that. I'd wish there were divided-off or separated deceleration lanes for these.

Examples: 235/Kellogg cloverleaf is easily 40 years outdated and has poor visibility of oncoming traffic--you just gotta turn into the loop and keep going without any regard of approaching vehicles. I still can't get used to this. (A usual cause of my road-rage rant above.) No car can go 15 to 75 instantly. Southbound 235 onto Zoo Blvd--You gotta stomp on your brakes if you don't wanna fly off the ramp. Northbound 135 to 96 West--who's idea was it to put a tiny hairpin curve on the seemingly most-used ramp that causes backups a mile long in the MIDDLE LANE on 135!? Oh, and the words "East Kellogg" are a punchline and I've learned to avoid it all costs. The only interchange I approve of is the Kellogg/135 "spiral" interchange. That's what I'm used to and thankful there's at least one spiral interchange here.

And it seems like every major street and intersection is different--no consistency among them. One street has a "chicken lane," one doesn't. Some have third lanes on the far right and it's difficult to tell if they last clear to the next major intersection or not. They often abruptly end. And the intersections--one has both separate left- and right-only lanes, some have neither. Some have two left lanes (I like that). Some have those convenient right-turn lanes where you can just turn and go (yielding, of course) and some don't. These inconsistencies drive me NUTS.

Response to winter weather is REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE. Crews seem to let it pile up, then scrape up the junk after the storm instead of pretreating a day or two in advance. I'm definitely not happy about this.

Yes, I drive around. A lot. I'm an independent consultant.

I'm sorry I cannot loathe about other more important things, such as schools, as I'm single & no kids cuz I'm a work-a-holic, but the roads are something many people use.

Oh, I can gripe about doctors. Since I'm self-employed, I have no health insurance. (It's either that or retirement. It's CRAZY expensive.), and NO ONE will see me. Even in the emergency room refused me after a nasty case of food poisoning, and a month ago a physician refused me so now I've been dealing with a sinus infection for over a month. I guess proof of income isn't enough. Are the doctors here that afraid of being shafted? But I make too much to get one of those medical cards.

After reading about about the parks and lifeguards (OMG), I had to post something about the roads. I truly apologize about the rude people, but I'm just being factual. They turn off the lights at the parks to SAVE ENERGY! There's actually neighborhoods (walled or gated communities) in one suburb I used to live nearby that turned off the street lamps at midnight for energy conservation and back on at 6am if it was still dark.

As far as recreation, there are bike trails galore near me. Too bad I haven't used them yet. My bike's being put in good use as a dust collector lately. Cuz it's Kansas. And weather hasn't been favorable for bike riding! That's why the parks close at 4 right now!

Overall, this city's the right size, really. It's large enough to where you can just stay in your corner of town and still have access to places you frequent, but if you need to go across town, it's still just a 20-minute drive. This often forgotten and underestimated American city is indeed formidable in itself. Plenty of opportunities (which I need to investigate!) and industry. Who cares if it's in Kansas!? It's among the top 100 largest cities in US. List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now somebody else feel free to discredit my posting... I'm sure I'll get some nasty responses to my observation of rude people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 AM

26 posts, read 118,856 times
I totally agree with you. When I first moved here I was astonished at how rude and snobby the people are. I think that it some of it has to do with the bad weather here, it put's people in bad mood's, and I can't stand the snobbiness. And my neighbor's don't talk to me either, if I try to talk to them, they act like their scared. It's so quiet and boring here sometime's I feel like Im going to lose my mind, and god forbid, they don't want anything fun here. It was a hard adjustment from California, people will talk there, people are out enjoying life, and here everyone is hiding indoor's, and no, it's not that cold everyday, it wouldn't kill them to keep the park's open a little longer. so here I just try to leave everyone alone. On the park issue, there are a lot of day's, even in the winter when it's nice outside, 50s and 60s, and it would be nice to go walk around, maybe if people got out they would be a little nicer??

Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmkw23580 View Post
Response to winter weather is REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE. Crews seem to let it pile up, then scrape up the junk after the storm instead of pretreating a day or two in advance. I'm definitely not happy about this.
That's unfortunate. I'm sure you remember from living in OKC how fast our roads crews get out and treat the roads before the storm. And we're 150 miles south even.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,448 times
We came to Wichita few weeks ago right after a snow storm. We drove from TX. The roads in OK were unbelievable!! We couldn't even see the pavement and of it!! We were driving 20 miles an hour on I35!!!! As soon as we crossed the state line to KS the roads were totally clear and dry! The roads in Wichita were great!!!! On our visit total strangers were very nice to us!! Offering us advice on things to do/see. I really don't see where all the negativity comes from. I understand I was there for a short time but our impression of the city was great!!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones15 View Post
We came to Wichita few weeks ago right after a snow storm. We drove from TX. The roads in OK were unbelievable!! We couldn't even see the pavement and of it!! We were driving 20 miles an hour on I35!!!! As soon as we crossed the state line to KS the roads were totally clear and dry! The roads in Wichita were great!!!! On our visit total strangers were very nice to us!! Offering us advice on things to do/see. I really don't see where all the negativity comes from. I understand I was there for a short time but our impression of the city was great!!
I was talking about OKC specifically, I could care less what I-35 to Kansas is like

Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
I think what cjones is trying to say here is that she doesn't understand the bitchyness of some of you wicheetan's. If you hate it so bad then get a job somewhere else and move. Find your g.d. utopia!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 PM

28 posts, read 94,435 times
The Topic Is Gripes About Wichita Im Sure Most Of Us Have Jobs Thats Why Have The Internet. No Need To Be Rude Plus If Its So Fun Here Wtf Are You Doing On City-data.com Aren't There Things To Do In Wichita. (like Shopping Right Cj) Witcha Is A Crap Hole Full Of Rude People Who Tell You Just Leave If You Dont Like It Maybe You Should Say Encouraging Things To Help People Understand Where You Coming From No Need To Be Rude Right?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones15 View Post
I was in Wichita in dec. 07 and the roads in OK were fine, but when I hit Wichita they were crap, they radio said they had used up their funds for the 08 year in the christmas week for salt and the 2 plows they had.
They just let the snow sit and melt, it made a mess. people were going into the ditch every where. If I would have taken my chevy truck to vist family instead of the car I could have made mint just charging 30$ to pull people out of the ditch.

Wichita is just not set up for snows like they got two times this winter. I was told by a real estate agent that they got 20 inches last april.
I would only move to wichita for work or family, I do not think any one lives there because they like it. The realtor friend of mine said that she really liked the wind. ???? I have no idea what that ment, I guess when there is nothing else to say you say something. Her husband said when we told them we were going to vist Arkansas, Arkansas? thats where clinton is from. so? And this has what to do witht he price of eggs in china?
I now look on the clinton days as a good time. I wish we had him back in stead of the chimp we have now.

If you like Wichita you have every right to love it and live in it. But you should not try to pass off that it is a beautiful place. It is clearly not.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM

14 posts, read 67,668 times
I think the scale of how rude you think people are is based on where you come from. Those who lived in California and move to Wichita have been saying Wichita is basically filled with rude people. California is warm and sunny and full of outdoor-loving people. Well I'm coming from Michigan. And I think Wichitans are really friendly. If you want "rude" try living in a state with no jobs, freezing cold, and gloomy days for about 7 months of winter. Believe me, Wichita is not rude compared to Michigan. Personally, I'm looking forward to a shorter winter in Wichita, and at least they get lots of sunny days there. Why is everyone so negative about Wichita? It's honestly not the worst place in the country to live. If you need hot weather year round and lots of things to do for entertainment all year round, and to be surrounded by beautiful tan people with hot bodies, maybe Wichita is not the right place for you.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettagirl View Post
Why is everyone so negative about Wichita? It's honestly not the worst place in the country to live.
I think a lot of people on this Wichita Forum are not typical or average of Wichita. I am guessing that the posters here who complain about Wichita are young (there are lots of teenagers on CityData!) and much more liberal than a typical Wichitan.
Congrats on your move. I hope you will enjoy Wichita a lot. The grocery stores are FABULOUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita