U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:06 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,511,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfluys View Post
I was in Wichita in dec. 07 and the roads in OK were fine, but when I hit Wichita they were crap, they radio said they had used up their funds for the 08 year in the christmas week for salt and the 2 plows they had.
They just let the snow sit and melt, it made a mess. people were going into the ditch every where. If I would have taken my chevy truck to vist family instead of the car I could have made mint just charging 30$ to pull people out of the ditch.

Wichita is just not set up for snows like they got two times this winter. I was told by a real estate agent that they got 20 inches last april.
I live in Fort Worth TX at the moment. The one trend I've noticed over the past 6 years is that the city is in no way shape or form prepared to handle any sort of frozen precipitation. They try but the "just let it melt" philosophy is prevalent. The DFW area is by far the worst I've ever had to drive during an ice storm. None of the natives know how to handle it. The entire town just shuts down. People drive off the road...and some hit stuff....and other cars....and people....and houses.

I didn't think Wichita was that bad comparitively. Maybe I didn't see the worst of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfluys View Post
I would only move to wichita for work or family, I do not think any one lives there because they like it.
If you had your choice of anywhere in the world to live I wouldn't think your first choice would be wichita....or anywhere else in the state of Kansas for that matter. I'd probably pick somewhere like colorado or southern california. Or maybe Portland Oregon. I hear it's a great cycling town.

It poses an interesting question. Why do people choose to live where they do? In my business I just have to jump from city to city every 5-10 years to my next gig. That's just the way it is. I suppose I could have been a Physician or a Lawyer and my skill would be a little more portable but anyway.

There are cities all over the world full of people. Some look attractive, Some don't. But why do people live in the unattractive places (and wouldn't have it any other way). What keeps everyone from moving to Miami (or insert City that is your definition of paradise)? Why do people live in Alaska? It's six months of sunlight and six months of darkness. Why would you want that? I think the answer is that it takes all kinds of folks to make the world go around and everyone has to live and work somewhere....and there isn't enough room for billions of people to live in the locations considered by most as paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM

413 posts, read 589,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood1964 View Post
Your not the sharpest blade in the drawer. I live in Wichita and have lived in California, and all over this country. Wichita is an urban area, it is not a city. Park and Rec here is a joke. Culture is non existant. You know it is bad when you have to go to Oklahoma for culture. No water usage plan. No environmetal plan. All the restaurants are chains. One of the most racially divided cities in the US.....I am sure you make James Dobson proud. And to think this started out about parks.
Are you kidding?

Racially divided? Hardly.

No water usage plan? Gosh, I'll keep that in mind next time I talk to my mother and she mentions the latest water ban.

No culture?

Chains only?

You're joking, right? I haven't lived there in years, but I do go visit quite a bit, and I can rattle off a zillion non-chain places you ought to try.

How about just one to start? Go to the Olde Mill Tasty Shop on Douglas and have a chocolate malt with a nice sandwich. Let me know when you're ready for round two. I have a restaurant with a bit of a French accent to recommend.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM

413 posts, read 589,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettagirl View Post
I think the scale of how rude you think people are is based on where you come from. Those who lived in California and move to Wichita have been saying Wichita is basically filled with rude people. California is warm and sunny and full of outdoor-loving people. Well I'm coming from Michigan. And I think Wichitans are really friendly. If you want "rude" try living in a state with no jobs, freezing cold, and gloomy days for about 7 months of winter. Believe me, Wichita is not rude compared to Michigan. Personally, I'm looking forward to a shorter winter in Wichita, and at least they get lots of sunny days there. Why is everyone so negative about Wichita? It's honestly not the worst place in the country to live. If you need hot weather year round and lots of things to do for entertainment all year round, and to be surrounded by beautiful tan people with hot bodies, maybe Wichita is not the right place for you.
Once think I definitely remember is that Wichitans are generally a lot frumpier--that is, out of shape, unkempt, lacking in taste, etc. But that's not a huge gripe. I can live with that, because there's still a small segment of the population that cares about those important superficialities.

I definitely prefer Wichita to the very odd hodgepodge of the Baltimore area, which is a fairly racist community in both directions, and in which various ethnic groups do very silly things. Seriously, I thought sagging went out by the end of the 1990s, yet there are losers who still do that in this area.

DC's great, though. When leaving my house, I typically drive south (toward DC), not north (toward Baltimore).

Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
Only chain restaurants? Are you kidding me. Have you ever even been in Old Town? There is lots of culture down there but you have to open your eyes to see it. You can't expect Wichita, Kansas to be the same as California and I'm not sure why you're comparing them as though they should be. Open your eyes and see it for the great things it does offer, instead of constantly comparing it to something else.

And as for the Lifeguards. Having been one for three years I can tell you that the Lifeguards make their own decisions as to whether or not they want to use umbrellas while they guard.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM

16,249 posts, read 10,502,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebaby View Post
I totally agree with you. When I first moved here I was astonished at how rude and snobby the people are. I think that it some of it has to do with the bad weather here, it put's people in bad mood's, and I can't stand the snobbiness. And my neighbor's don't talk to me either, if I try to talk to them, they act like their scared. It's so quiet and boring here sometime's I feel like Im going to lose my mind, and god forbid, they don't want anything fun here. It was a hard adjustment from California, people will talk there, people are out enjoying life, and here everyone is hiding indoor's, and no, it's not that cold everyday, it wouldn't kill them to keep the park's open a little longer. so here I just try to leave everyone alone. On the park issue, there are a lot of day's, even in the winter when it's nice outside, 50s and 60s, and it would be nice to go walk around, maybe if people got out they would be a little nicer??
It was my experience that Wichitans for the most part were not rude. A tad bit stuck up perhaps but they will usually speak to you if you speak to them.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,632 times
i was raised in KS southeastern corner. We drove to Wichita at least 1 a week. More as I had children of my own. They have a wonderful zoo in Sedgwick (sp) county, nice malls, nice water park, have been to many, many of the fireworks displays over the river, Doc's Steakhouse, and many fairs by the riverside. I have taken my children there in daylight and darkness, and never have been scare to do so. Now, I dont live there and never have so these are comments from an (outsider). Haven't really noticed to many nice people and haven't really noticed to many rude people. About the same as where I live now. PA. I work in State College, PA, home of PENNSTATE. They are not nearly as friendly as the people in KS that I have dealt with. And its said to say but I wouldn't stop and help someone on the side of the road unless mu husband was with me , here. I love Kansas as least where I grew up.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 AM

505 posts, read 975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebaby View Post
I moved from California to Wichita 4 years ago, and I have at least 2 questions, thing's that are really bothering me, so, here goes . I love to walk and be outdoor's.... One thing that I'm wondering is why the park's are not lit up at night, it is so strange, one day, after work, I went to this park by my house to have a little walk on the track, and it got dark. It was so scary, I have never seen park's like that, with no lighting, it's ridiculous. They say that people need to get up off the couch, get healthier.... With all the money here from the airplane industry, i just really don't understand. So, I'm on the far end side away from my car, it's pitch black, and i'm just in shock. And I'm scared, the perfect oppurtunity to be assaulted, raped, who know's?? The park's in California are lit up, people are out, what is going on here? I love the city here, but some thing's are so far behind it's crazy. Another park, Watson park, closes at 4 p.m., everyday, in the winter, huh??? Watson park is close to my house, but it's closed by the time I get off work, so I have to go home to sit on the couch. And they are telling people on the new's, get up, get fit, get active, watch your cholesterol. How??Another strange thing that I have noticed is that the lifeguard's at the public pool's do not have umbrella's, they even were talking about the risk of cancer, that the lifeguard's have on the new's. It was so strange to see these young people out there, sitting directly in the sun all day with no umbrella's. It's such an easy solution to the problem, most cities use umbrella's at every lifeguard chair, in all of the public pool's. Wichita can't be that backward, come on now, it's 2008 and have these people heard of skin cancer???? I dont know where to write about these thing's, does anyone feel the same as I do, same experiences, frustrations? Like I said, I love Wichita, but I would really like to be able to get out and not feel like after 4 everything is closing and I have to go vegetate!! Where could I write to about these thing's?

1.) Join a Gym?

2.) Maybe Rihanna stole all the umbrellas!!!

YouTube - Rihanna - Umbrella

But she said you can stand under her umbrella...ella...ella...aye...aye!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,039 times
I moved to Wichita about 6 months ago and regardless of what they have or don't have in the ways of stores, parks, etc. I will tell you, and I travel for a living, Wichita has the nicest people of anywhere that I have lived with the exception of home and I would say they run a fare race with my home. The people here will help you if you need help, they are nice, friendly, happy, all that and more. When I am out and about, people say hi to me and are open and friendly. That is worth alot. I have lived in cities that it is too dangerous to be out and about and people certainly don't speak to each other on a being friendly basis. I love Wichita and I want to stay here. Their houses still sell for fair prices and even if I do leave my truck unlocked at night, I don't get up and go lock it, I just don't worry about it. It is still very nice here. Other cities, your stuff will be gone in a heartbeat if your door is left unlocked. With exception to the snow, I am from Texas thank you, I like it here very much. Seems like every city I go to has extreme weather when I get there. Wander why that is....

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,039 times
I am from Fort Worth and lived there until about six years ago. When a city only gets snow every, say five years, and when it does snow, tomorrow the temp outside is mid 70's, number one, the people there are not experienced in driving in the ice and snow, number two, why would the city buy up a bunch of equiptment and salt and stuff when they only need it one day out of four or five years. There is storing it, maintaing it,etc. If you live in Fort Worth, as little snow and ice as they get there, honestly, the best thing to do is take a day off. Stay off the streets and relax. That is why the city closes down there. Nobody wants to get smashed into by the drivers that never get to drive in the stuff. It only makes sense, doesn't it? Or, better yet, you live in Fort Worth right? Ride your horse if you have to get out. lmal. In all the cities I have lived in in the past 6+ years, you would be surprised at how many people think just because you are from Fort Worth that you own at least one horse. Honestly. More than once I have had what you would think of as intelligent people as me where I am keeping my horse. I was like, "errrr? Horse? What horse?" I have found it pretty interesting to travel around like I have. Geez, I guess I need to get a horse....

Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,306,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post

Fourth, umbrellas at swimming pools? Are you serious? Who cares!? Lifeguards are not forced to work there, you're not forced to go there...

Oh you'll be crying allright when a lifeguard gets skin cancer and sues yr cities ass for not providing adequate shading during his job. Watch them raise YOUR taxes to pay it off. When a 40 dollar umbrella could have saved it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita