U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,800,360 times
burnt--------"on 20+ acres"-------------"eventually build my kid a home at least a half mile away ,but on the same property."

You will have to buy WAY more land than what you stated. (I doubt you even have a clue about the dimensions of acres)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM

16 posts, read 56,476 times
Default Moving to Wichita

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones15 View Post
If you read the article it refers to the cheapest place to rent not live. We are checking out apartments in the area right now and I will say the rent is very cheap.
I agree. I am moving to Wichita this summer from SC and the rent looks great! What areas are you looking at? I am hopeful about the N. Rock Rd. area - NE. That seems to be a good place. What has your research revealed to you? I am interested in the Woodgate Apts. Their townhouses are over 2,000 sq. ft and just a little over $900 a month! That is near Bradley Fair Shopping Center and I am very intersted in that because I plan on working at Coldwater Creek Clothing store like I do here in SC. Just interested in any insight that you may have come up with.
Thanks,
Renee

Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM

186 posts, read 727,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneewhitehe View Post
I agree. I am moving to Wichita this summer from SC and the rent looks great! What areas are you looking at? I am hopeful about the N. Rock Rd. area - NE. That seems to be a good place. What has your research revealed to you? I am interested in the Woodgate Apts. Their townhouses are over 2,000 sq. ft and just a little over $900 a month! That is near Bradley Fair Shopping Center and I am very intersted in that because I plan on working at Coldwater Creek Clothing store like I do here in SC. Just interested in any insight that you may have come up with.
Thanks,
Renee
We just signed a lease on an apartment on N. Rock Rd. My husband is moving up alone (stay back ladies!! LOL!!) until our current house sells. We are just renting a very small one bedroom (643 sq. ft). It's at Horizons East I think it's just south of Bradley Fair but not positive. I want him close to Williams Sonoma so he can buy me Sprinkles cupcakes!! My husband will only be a few minutes from work also which is great. We needed something short term and small and it fit our needs. We have honestly never seen the apartment and are just crossing our fingers it's ok.

We took the first cheap apartment we could find so I can't help you much. I did see several apartments in the Bradley Fair area when we were there last month. I think it's a great location!!!!

Do you have kids?? When the kids and I move up we are going to buy/build in Derby. The school systen is great and we really liked the feel of the town. It's also a very short drive to all the stuff on N. Rock Rd.

Good luck!! We will have to stay in touch and keep each other updated on things we learn about the area.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 AM

1,708 posts, read 3,576,013 times
Horizons East is not listed at ApartmentRatings dot com, which could be a great sign. I drove past it a lot and it always seems clean and well kept.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM

We are renting furniture from Furniture Options. The girl I set up everything with use to live at Horizons East about 5 years ago and had the exact same apartment the we are renting. She said she liked it. She also heard they either remodeling or just got done. As long as it's a place for my hubby to sleep and store his clothes he really doesn't care.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM

413 posts, read 601,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
burnt--------"on 20+ acres"-------------"eventually build my kid a home at least a half mile away ,but on the same property."

You will have to buy WAY more land than what you stated. (I doubt you even have a clue about the dimensions of acres)
Meh, possibly. I'm a cityboy, and heck, the only people who pay attention to the dimensions of an acre are those who survey or work in ag. I work on metric and standard measurements, but I certainly wouldn't be able to quote the square-footage or metric measure of an acre. Anyway, I would want a rather linear plot, not a square, tetrahedron, or other sort of polygon. I guess even a 1/8mi.-wide linear property would have to be about 40 acres in size in order for two homes to be about a half-mile away from each other on said property, right?

40 acres = 193600yds2
193600yds2 / 220yds width = 880yds. length
Now, unless I were to use diagonals, which would be doubtful on a 1/8mi. X 1/2mi. property, I'd probably want even more than 40 acres in order to avoid being a half-mile away from my kid(s) but right on the edge of my neighbor's property. Ah well. The half-mile thing wasn't meant to be exact. I actually just want to be out of earshot and view of my kids and neighbors when I look out any of my ground-floor windows. Whatever distance accommodates that feeling of moderate separation is fine. I suppose trees will be key.

Last edited by burnt; 03-12-2008 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-23-2008, 04:28 PM

I wanted to update about the apartment we rented, Horizons East. We were up this past week moving my husband in. The staff has been wonderful!! The apartment is lacking but for the price it's ok. The kitchen is probably original to the building, guessing from the 70's. The smoke smell from the previous renter is horrible. I would never live there for an extended stay but for the 3 months my husband needs an apartment and with it only being him, it will do.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,723 times
Where does a person live that just has SS to live on????any input from anybody

Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,857 times
Default SS only to live on, Kansas and Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancieelee View Post
Where does a person live that just has SS to live on????any input from anybody
There are bills paid apartments in Wichita, If you contact the Kansas SRS and let them know your situation, they will put you in touch with those aprtments that are income based and bills paid. When I lived In wichita five years ago, I gotta bills paid apartment for $200 mind you are gonna be in the same building as other "characters" but for the most part you are safe. Just don't let any of them get to know you, that seems to be the mode of operation.

I forgot what the apartments were called, but then my sister lived in some nice small apartments on W Central in Wichita, I think Aspen was in the name of the complex. Two year lease at $350 a month. You can always get foodstamp help too, and food is DIRT CHEAP in Kansas.

If all else fails, just call the SRS they will direct you to cheap places to live, and foodstamp assistance.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM

54 posts, read 11,609 times
Default Wichita cheap

For cities of its size it is reasonable. But it is high on property taxes. I have been here for a bit now and have noticed that things are slowing down. I still get from realestate agents that things are moving well. But I talked to a plumber who said it was very slow in the construction business. I talked to another agent who said that home sales under 100k were moving well but those over were slow and over 175k are sitting on the market. I noticed to that there seemed to be fewer people in old town at the pubs the past few fridays. I don't know if that is some normal thing for this time of year of if it is a sign that things are slowing. But usually the pubs in old town are full up on friday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita