Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,855 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the area fairly soon. I'm looking for a preschool program for my 4 year old daughter to attend. Right now she is in a small church based program 2 days a week. I've done some searching and haven't been able to find a similar program in east Wichita or Derby. More then likely we will be living in Derby. I also have a school aged child so won't have a lot of time in the mornings to drive far. We are wanting a program that is 4-5 days a week, half days or so. We are not wanting a daycare unless a part-time schedule is possible

If anyone can give me a few leads I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Anyone????

Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,360 times
Maybe this might help?

Child Care - Wichita, Kansas (http://thecityofwichita.com/childcare/index.html - broken link)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 PM

15 posts, read 58,092 times
I'm sorry, I didn't see this entry until now! Woodlawn United Methodist Church in Derby (on south Woodlawn Street) has a preschool program. I personally haven't spoken to anyone whose children participate, but I know that the church is located about two blocks south of the Derby Recreation Center, so hopefully they take advantage of the facility. I wish I could be of more help.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmom3 View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't see this entry until now! Woodlawn United Methodist Church in Derby (on south Woodlawn Street) has a preschool program. I personally haven't spoken to anyone whose children participate, but I know that the church is located about two blocks south of the Derby Recreation Center, so hopefully they take advantage of the facility. I wish I could be of more help.
I did look into their program. If I remember correctly it is only for a couple hours 2-3 days a week. We are wanting a program that is full time. It is very common in the area we are in right now. The preschool my daughter currently attends is from 9-2. She goes 2 days a week but next year she would transition to 4 days a week. I'm just not finding anything like that in the area.

Thank you for your suggestion!! I appreciate it.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM

I live just south of Derby, and I don't have little ones but some of my neighbors do. I'll ask around tomorrow and find out where they take their kids. Apparently you want a faith-based program; is there a particular denomination you want to connect with?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Thank you!!! I'm not set on it being a faith based program. That just seems to be the most common preschool programs. I'm really wanting something that will be more then 2 days a week and longer then just 2-3 hours a day. My daughter is 4 so I'm wanting to make sure she is prepared for kindergarten. She seems to do much better when she is around other children and learning with them. I did call one I believe at the Lutheran church but they have never called me back. I didn't care for the hours of the program but something is better then nothing.

We will be moving to Derby sometime this summer. I appreciate your help!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I'm an online non-traditional college student and I've had a ton of classwork and an exam to get through!

I called every child care center in Derby and the immediate surrounding area, and the vast majority are only accepting kids on a full-time basis. I did, however, find one in Derby. I spoke to Sherry, the director; she stated that they do accept children on a part time basis, their hours of operation are from 6:30 am to 6:00 pm, and they will have openings this summer for four year olds. She stated that there is a kindergarten preparatory curriculum called the "New Foundations" program and mentioned phonetic reading lessons, computer access, and many other educationally engaging activities. The facility is located on the corner of Rock Road and Walnut Grove. I'm not sure what neighborhood in Derby you plan to move to, but if you've visited the area you know that the section of town I'm talking about is located within the 1-1/2 mile stretch of new development in the area -- or maybe this will help: it's right across the street from the high school. I told her that you would be moving to the area this summer: she would like to speak to you, and stated that it would be advisable to fill out the paperwork now, if possible. I'm not sure if I should post the contact information, but I'll give it a whirl. The director's name is Sherry, the center is called KinderCare, the local phone number is 316-712-4172, and the rest is up to you. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,535 times
Default Preschools in Wichita

Hi there, I too was in your shoes just over a year ago. We moved from Kansas City, and I had really high standards from my daughter's preschool. She is also 4 years old. We checked out several in the area, and since we live in Andover, we wanted something close. We found Eastminster Preschool on Webb Rd., and it is the most wonderful, caring preschool that I could ask for. She goes 3 days a week, and the cost is $125.00 The curriculum is great,they offer music, PE, art, sign language, reading, spelling, everything that you want in a preschool. We are extremely happy there, and I hope that you check it out.I also highly recommend Andover instead of Derby, I also have an 8 yr old, and have found the schools here fabulous. I hope this helps!!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM

We did find a preschool. I wish it was a little longer in length but they seem to offer everything we are looking for!!! We did look into the Andover area but weren't impressed. Derby seems to fit our needs much better. I'm glad you found an area that fit you!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita