U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 PM

287 posts, read 376,641 times

Advertisements

I live in Denver right now. It is naturally brown, has no swatches of woods to speak of. I grew up in the Midwest, where swatches of woods defines childhoood. It's where we went to play, hide out, build forts, smoke Marlboros, etc. I do not want to go
back to the Midwest, however. I have driven across Kansas along I-70 Eastbound, and I have noticed that once you get to Salina, the landscape
has changed dramatically from Denver's landscape. There are numerous
patches of woods, intermixed with beautiful farmland. Is it pretty much
the same in Wichita? I have never been through there. But it is number
#2 on a recent Forbes list for the best places to find jobs in 2008. I find
this stunning. Most people have barely heard of Wichita. Which
brings me to one of my other concerns: Is Wichita isolated? Sure you
can get whatever you need in town (Best Buys, Target stores, etc).
But do you feel isolated? Do you feel lonesome way out there on the
Great Plains? I am single, and have a class A CDL. I would like
to find work as a local truck driver, and I would also like to be able to find
my significant other. Thanks for your inputs. Wichita bound in May?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:55 PM

378 posts, read 1,492,052 times
Here's a few various pictures of the city:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2668246-post8.html

I don't feel isolated and I've been all over the U.S. Actually, being in the mountains of Colorado made me feel more isolated, to be honest, regardless of the fact that it's sooo beautiful out there. If you give Wichita and the state a chance, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, sometimes in the most subtle ways.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:14 PM

287 posts, read 376,641 times
thanks for the pics. Iwish I could see more pics of ordinary, mundane sights, such
a pic of an ordinary neigborhood, or one of a nondescript steet in a business district.
The ariel shot was really good. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 PM

21,124 posts, read 36,646,263 times
Eastern areas of Kansas generally have more trees because of the higher average precipitation amounts. Far E Kansas and SE Kansas averages around 40-45 inches of precipitation a year. You will find that oaks, hickory, maples, and even some pines do fairly well. Cities like Wichita and Kansas City have generally planted a lot of trees over time. If you look at some of the old archive pictures from the early 20th century you will see fewer trees, especially in areas of JOCO and Lawrence. It was mostly rangeland, farmland, and open space with trees confined mainly to rivers and lower elevated spots. Wichita is VERY lush compared with sections of NW and SW Kansas which tend to be semi-arid and not nearly as desirable for most people.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,630,671 times
Wichita is rather isolated because it is about 200 miles to the nearest large city (Kansas City) which is where you will have to go if you want to see top concerts and other shows as well as professional sports. As for finding a job with a CDL you should have no trouble. CDLs are in demand everywhere including Wichita I am sure. As for a "significant other" Wichita women are no more stuck up than women elsewhere. As long you are not too ugly or too fat, you can probably win one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita