Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

I was born & raised in Wichita. Then hubby was transferred to KC, then to Denver (Westminster). We moved to Oklahoma (Broken Arrow) 14 years ago. Wichita is a snore! Weather is terrible (especially severe storms). I'm still in tune with Wichita since family is there. Also, the people are not friendly. It's almost amazing when you cross into Oklahoma because people are so friendly. I am not saying move to Oklahoma. In the Tulsa area where I live it is great for raising a family. Several areas (not Tulsa School District!) have wonderful schools. However, if you like to party, this area is not for you. However, on the up side, housing prices in this area are crazy low. We sold our house in Westminster, CO for $250,000 and when we moved to Broken Arrow, we could have bought a mansion for that much money. We bought a 2,800 sq ft house for under $150,000. Prices have obviously gone up some, but you can buy a really nice home for $150,000. We also lived in the KC area for a few years, and my sister-in-law and her family live in Olathe (a great suburb). Weather is terrible! Severe storms in spring, summer, and ice storms in the winter (not snow, but ice). Also, traffic is an issue. I would say that generally their weather is colder than the Denver area, and MUCH hotter in summer. I can also tell you that my hubby & I regret EVERY DAY leaving Colorado. However, cost of living is much cheaper here. Oklahoma City is a much bigger city than Tulsa area, and has really been progressive in making their city a great destination spot. Drawback to OKC is, obviously, really bad tornadoes. Also, traffic is a little crazy during rush hours. You would want to live north (i.e. Edmond area), or one of the suburbs. Still regret leaving Denver; HOWEVER, I don't miss the traffic, and I don't miss the LONG winters. Stays nice here from March to December. I would really discourage you from moving to Wichita. Their economy is not great, people aren't that friendly, and cost of living is too high for what you get from the city. Would look at Oklahoma, Texas, or NW Arkansas as preferred spots. KC is good as well, but weather is not as pleasant and traffic is going to be an issue. Good luck, and don't be hasty in your decision . . . do your homework!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch62383 View Post
Why not sell and walk away with 150k and buy a house cash be mortgage free and invest in my future with my income????
Sounds perfect!!! If things like awe inspiring natural beauty, great weather, amenities and access to outdoors type mountain sports are not important to you then go for it. Wichita is dirt cheap comparably. The neighborhood around WSU is pretty bad overall Wichita is a nice little city.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:07 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
I found this thread interesting, as I live in the Seattle metro and am looking at the Midwest due to lower cost of housing. Probably not Wichita, but I might visit it as the rents are very cheap. I have no kids and self-employed work from home. I'm OK with renting and see I could cut my rent in half from what it is in Seattle moving to a place like Kansas, or other areas mentioned on this thread like OK, NE, IA, IN, AR, etc.... (ok nobody mentioned NE and IA...I just added them!)

I've lived in a lot of scenic expensive west coast cities the last 30 yrs, and lived large in my 20's and 30's and enjoyed the excitement of top west coast cities. But it's interesting....now that I find now I'm in my later 40's, I don't use the amenities of these cities that much anymore, rarely go out much or eat out, and really just stay in my boring suburb most of the time here in the west coast. So why live here and pay this massive rent if I would pretty much do the same stuff as in the Midwest?

I do a lot of research for my business which consists of a lot of working from home on the laptop, working from Starbucks & a local library (just to get out of the house). Other then that I like to workout at a gym, go walk in a park for exercise, and attend sporting events. And I need an airport to travel say 8-10X a year. And I can get all this in most midwest cities.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
^
If you have been living in the Pacific Northwest and West Coast region, the upper Midwest would be easier to adapt to because of the migration of people moving from both regions over time and cultural similarities. Tons of people from MN and WI have moved to the Pacific Northwest over the past few decades.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
^
If you have been living in the Pacific Northwest and West Coast region, the upper Midwest would be easier to adapt to because of the migration of people moving from both regions over time and cultural similarities. Tons of people from MN and WI have moved to the Pacific Northwest over the past few decades.
Upper midwest is an option too.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:23 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
^
I don’t associate MN or WI with “lower taxes”

Old 01-28-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
The OP stated concerns about cost of living and housing prices compared to the West Coast. Both MN and WI outside of the largest metro areas have very low housing prices. Regional hospitals in the smaller cities are often very well regarded, including the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. So, it depends on whether one values paying more in taxes for higher level of amenities and services overall. WI has been cutting for years in regard to services, but also has many more smaller cities compared to MN.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
NE has high property taxes too.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:56 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Great post!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Great post!
Mayo Clinic is in MN, world recognized. MN is a very high quality of life state compared to most of the US even though it does have higher taxes. MN leads the Midwest in median household income by far as well. Let me guess, you've never lived in MN or WI? FL economy is mostly a low wages across the board joke, very much geared toward real estate, construction, services sectors, and getting more 'retirees' to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita