Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 12:14 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,078,041 times

Advertisements

I am from Florida and my wife's family is from Wichita. What do you suggest a mid 30s guy visits in Wichita during the Christmas holiday? I have been up there before, but we usually stay indoors and visit family. I have been to the river downtown and I believe that is it. I would like to explore more of the area and see something that is unique.

I like breweries, non-chain restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 PM

697 posts, read 1,770,177 times
Should be a few places to investigate for you then!

Brewery wise there is:
River City Brewery in Old Town (the oldest one in town I believe, it has decent food too)
Wichita Brewing Company (good pizza and calzones)
Aeroplains Brewing (one of my favorites)
Central Standard Brewery (very popular choice)
Hopping Gnome (also good, next to an excellent neapolitan pizza place)
Third Place Brewing (love this place, it's like if your buddy opened a bar for his friends... small, very laid back/casual)
Limestone Beer Company (newer, weird location, but seems to have a loyal following building)
Bricktown Brewey (technically based out of Oklahoma but good beers and food, nice enough place to take friends and family for a casual dinner too)
Augustino Brewing (this one is brand new, haven't heard much about it yet)

There is also a distillery in Old Town that is a cool hangout spot with some solid cocktails (try their chalkboard specials) called Wheat State Distilling.

Restaurant wise, I'd recommend trying some Mediterranean places while you're in town. There's a large Lebanese and Syrian population here and we get to enjoy their food as a result! My favorites are Cafe Maurice, Bella Luna, Two Olive, College Hill Deli, Mediterranean Cafe, Meddy's, and Cafe Bel Ami. There are others too, so you'll have plenty to choose from.

Other local restaurants that are worth checking out:
Pizza: Ziggy's (love this place, go to the College Hill one for atmosphere), Picasso's, Piatto (neapolitan style), and Knolla's.
Burgers: Dempsey's, TJ's Burger House, Fizz Burgers and Bottles, and Bomber Burger (and many others).
Breakfast/Brunch: Doo-Dah Diner, Riverside Cafe, The Beacon, and YaYa's Euro Bistro(nice brunch).
Others: Marrakech Cafe, Da Cajun Shack, George's French Bistro, Sabor (latin), Oh Yeah China Bistro, and many more. I don't eat as much Mexican food but there are apparently a number of good places for that here too.

Coffee recommendations: Reverie (personal favorite), Espresso to Go Go, Mead's Corner, Churn and Burn, and many others.

That's probably more than you wanted but I hope it helps. I'm sure there are plenty of other things to do around town than eat and drink, but when it's cold outside you might as well...

Old 12-21-2017, 08:18 AM

374 posts, read 556,353 times
The current largest IMAX screen is in Melbourne, Australia and measures 105 ft × 75 ft.

The Warren World Class IMAX was at one time the largest digital IMAX screen in the world. Warren Theatres' IMAX is the top grossing IMAX in North America. The measurements I've found are 82' X 6 stories high. The screen was hung with the assistance of volunteers.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is showing for Xmas.

Warren West 17 & IMAX
9150 West 21st Street Wichita, KS

Henry's Sculpture Hill. 4 miles east of Augusta, although currently closed, much can be seen from the road/highway.

Henry's Sculpture Hill - Augusta, Kansas

a wichita Henry's installation

Chisholm Trail Park & Sculpture - Park City, Kansas

Sculpture sites around Wichita

https://www.360wichita.com/blog/Loca...culptures.html

Xmas light displays:

https://www.360wichita.com/blog/Loca...-Displays.html

The Ulrich Museum of Art at Wichita State University outside has Personnages Oiseaux ( Bird People) by 20th century master artist Joan Miró.

But the best part of the Ulrich Museum of Art's collection is outside: the Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection, more than 70 statues spread across Wichita State University's campus. It includes art by Scott Burton, Luis Jiménez, Henry Moore, Louise Nevelson, Claes Oldenburg, George Rickey and Auguste Rodin.

Ulrich Museum of Art at Wichita State University

Frank Lloyd Wright Architect - The most notable American name in architecture he created a unique style and constructed some of the more recognizable buildings in the country. Two of his designs can be viewed in Wichita.

Allen-Lambe House - designed in 1915 and occupied by 1918, it's considered the last of the Prairie Houses and Wright himself commented that it was "one of my best." Twenty-three pieces of original furniture are also inside the house on display.
Corbin Education Center at Wichita State University. Designed in 1957 and opened in 1963 it was one of Wrights last projects. He also designed desks, benches and other furniture still in use by students and faculty.

Guided Tours (limited during Xmas): Visit the site that USA Today considers one of the "10 great Frank Lloyd Wright home tours" in the nation. The Allen House is located in the historic College Hill neighborhood, 255 N. Roosevelt, Wichita, KS.

https://flwrightwichita.org

Old 12-22-2017, 02:15 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,078,041 times
Thanks for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita