U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 PM

26 posts, read 41,462 times

Advertisements

So is Central Market in Texas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 PM

93 posts, read 40,583 times
Our Dillon's are top notch. If I could choose a new grocery store chain to come to town it would probably be HEB out of Texas or Publix out of Florida. HyVee has always impressed me as far as other Midwest chains go.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:42 AM

21,724 posts, read 38,127,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Our Dillon's are top notch. If I could choose a new grocery store chain to come to town it would probably be HEB out of Texas or Publix out of Florida. HyVee has always impressed me as far as other Midwest chains go.
National grocery chains avoid Kansas due to extremely high sales taxes for grocery food items compared to most states that don't have them at all. Woodman's and Meijer are better than HyVee and Dillion's, both are headquartered in the Midwest. The East has excellent grocery stores like Wegman's and Hannaford that are better than anything I've found in the actual Midwest- not the far periphery of the region like Wichita.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:29 AM

293 posts, read 234,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
National grocery chains avoid Kansas due to extremely high sales taxes for grocery food items compared to most states that don't have them at all. Woodman's and Meijer are better than HyVee and Dillion's, both are headquartered in the Midwest. The East has excellent grocery stores like Wegman's and Hannaford that are better than anything I've found in the actual Midwest- not the far periphery of the region like Wichita.
Dillion's I believe that's how Kroger's thought it should be spelled . . .

Dillons is a grocery supermarket chain based in Hutchinson, Kansas, and is a division of The Kroger Company.

The Dillon Family started the chain in Hutchinson, KS. I recall shopping with my parents in the 50s @ Dillons in Eastgate Shopping Center, Wichita. Dad always said Safeway customers never bothered to check the price on anything they purchased. Dillons under Kroger's has little resemblance to the family-owned version, when employees had genuine smiles on their faces & didn't suspect customers of swiping an apple fritter for the price of donut (Kroger's had Dillons switch from paper to plastic bags for pastries, leaving no doubt as to what the thief was hoping to steal & most of the frosting on the bag.)

The Dillon Family of Hutchinson donated 320 acres for the establishment of Sand Hills State Park

Old 05-02-2019, 09:08 AM

758 posts, read 1,022,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Dillion's I believe that's how Kroger's thought it should be spelled . . .

Dillons is a grocery supermarket chain based in Hutchinson, Kansas, and is a division of The Kroger Company.

The Dillon Family started the chain in Hutchinson, KS. I recall shopping with my parents in the 50s @ Dillons in Eastgate Shopping Center, Wichita. Dad always said Safeway customers never bothered to check the price on anything they purchased. Dillons under Kroger's has little resemblance to the family-owned version, when employees had genuine smiles on their faces & didn't suspect customers of swiping an apple fritter for the price of donut (Kroger's had Dillons switch from paper to plastic bags for pastries, leaving no doubt as to what the thief was hoping to steal & most of the frosting on the bag.)

The Dillon Family of Hutchinson donated 320 acres for the establishment of Sand Hills State Park
I have a friend who used to work at corporate in Hutch. Kroger bought Dillons to get into Denver and Phoenix. They could't have cared less about the City Market, Dillons, and Gerbes divisions. They wanted King Soopers and Fry's. Their lackluster investments and failure under Kroger in Columbia, Johnson County, Joplin, and Springfield speak volumes on how Kroger treats the division. In Kansas they dump money into Topeka, Manhattan, and Wichita-Hutchinson. The stores in other markets like Garden City, Dodge City, Great Bend, Hays, Pittsburg, Emporia, Arkansas City, etc. are all dumpy and often are poorly stocked. HyVee would do well to enter markets like Wichita and Garden City to give them a run for their money. The stores in Manhattan, Topeka, Lawrence, and Johnson County have seemingly done well. A decent number of Dillons stores in the states smaller markets are still stuck with at least half of the decor package Kroger installed when they took over the stores. Most have seen their walls updated with new paint and department signs, but the floors, ceilings, and fixtures are in rough shape.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 PM

93 posts, read 40,583 times
Public is another nice chain of stores based in Florida. I think Tennessee is as far north and west as they go though. They are an employee owned business like Hyvee based out of West Des Moines, Iowa or Woodmans Market based out of Janesville, Wisconsin. Publix stores are always clean, but they are expensive. I can say Hyvee stores seem to be really nice or really old from the ones I have been to in Iowa and Illinois. Meijer is based in Walker, Michigan and is owned by the Meijer family I think. I have been in their stores in Kentucky and they remind me of a Target than a Walmart super center. HEB based out of San Antonio, TX is family owned and they have beautiful stores with great prices. I have never been into a Wegmans, but have seen them on travels to the Northeast. If I could pick one store to come to Wichita that is not here I would pick HEB. I doubt they will ever do that because they have parts of Texas they have only recently expanded to like the DFW metroplex. Maybe Trader Joe's will make some people happy when they finally get here. As a westsider I am just hoping we get a second Costco first.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM

9,028 posts, read 6,780,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I have a friend who used to work at corporate in Hutch. Kroger bought Dillons to get into Denver and Phoenix. They could't have cared less about the City Market, Dillons, and Gerbes divisions. They wanted King Soopers and Fry's. Their lackluster investments and failure under Kroger in Columbia, Johnson County, Joplin, and Springfield speak volumes on how Kroger treats the division. In Kansas they dump money into Topeka, Manhattan, and Wichita-Hutchinson. The stores in other markets like Garden City, Dodge City, Great Bend, Hays, Pittsburg, Emporia, Arkansas City, etc. are all dumpy and often are poorly stocked. HyVee would do well to enter markets like Wichita and Garden City to give them a run for their money. The stores in Manhattan, Topeka, Lawrence, and Johnson County have seemingly done well. A decent number of Dillons stores in the states smaller markets are still stuck with at least half of the decor package Kroger installed when they took over the stores. Most have seen their walls updated with new paint and department signs, but the floors, ceilings, and fixtures are in rough shape.
That pretty much describes the store here in Wellington. The store was built in the mid 80's, and hasn't seen a lot of change since. They did some superficial clean-up & décor improvements about 10 years ago, but didn't do much to improve anything else. They've mostly left it alone, except to completely rearrange everything in the store to a different location every 5 years or so. The last time they did that was right after the facelift.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:47 AM

56 posts, read 117,807 times
Not anymore. Trader Joe's is opening October 11.

https://www-1.kansas.com/news/busine...mainstage_lead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or