Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Wichita will be hit hard by the economic down turn?
Yes it will, no doubt that we are going to have a bumpy ride. 13 65.00%
I think it will be hit but I hope it is less than the rest of the country. 6 30.00%
I hope we can skip out of the recession but I think it is coming 1 5.00%
Wichita is putting god back in schools and he will see us through by dropping manna from heaven. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 AM

24 posts, read 56,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thats rude and out of order...maybe you should be posting your..
Gloom & doom stuff in the Finance forum.

How's the sand your head is in? Warm I hope. Don't look at the news today, oops to late, bad things happening, Microsoft laying off, and many others, stock market plummeting. I guess CNN is just rude. LOL. get real.

I have heard that homes in Kansas Wichita are not selling like they were. Things are grinding down. As far as Circuit city goes Kev I could not agree with you more. I once waited 4 hours, while a salesman put together a package that I could afford for a new tv and surround sound system. When it ended he said "we do not have that product, can I sell you an up scale system?" I was so mad I left and never came back. I called and complained, when I got a call back from the store manager, he said what’s the problem in a sarcastic voice. I told the story and he said "so what do you want me to do about it?" I said what can you do? He said nothing. And that was it. I have told thousands to keep away form that chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
I said you were rude for suggesting a poster was mentally ill if he dared to..
Disagree with your doomsday scenario of the economy.
Who knows how bad it will get,not even the so-called experts know.
I remember all the people screaming about possible 8$ a gallon gas not long ago.
And wish people would stop saying we are in a recession.
Read up on the depression of the 30's we arent even close.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
And wish people would stop saying we are in a recession.
Read up on the depression of the 30's we arent even close.
I agree with you in that I wish people would stop saying we are in a recession. It's not that we aren't actually in a recession. We have actually met the official criteria in order to be declared in recession.

Every time people hear the word recession on the news their a$$ cheeks pucker, they start thinking the world is coming to an end and they put a hold on purchasing everything. Even some of the wealthiest of folks do this (people who have no idea what it means to be poor and if they lost 90% of their wealth they could still buy my a$$ 10 times over).

My 93 year old grandmother is probably worth multiple millions and lives like a pauper. She watches the news and reads the paper. When I saw her over Christmas she mentioned that she was going to have to cut back on expenses and it was getting harder for her to get by. She's got no debt...NONE...and receives SS, retirement benefits from teaching 35 years, pension money from my gp's retirement from the railroad, and money from all the 1000's of acres of farm land she leases. I don't know what the market will bring for and acre of lush farm land but it's probably not pennies.

My other grandmother who is also the same age isn't as well off but the thing they have in common is that they are both debt free and own their homes outright. She's probably worth $200k....$100k of it in cash that we're aware of. She slipped me an Abe Lincoln for my Christmas present and it was hard for me to keep from cracking up. "Oh well thank you grandma!" LOL...I love my grandmas!

Both of those women lived through the Great Depression. They saw the hardship first hand and lived it every day! That's why they are the way they are. People in today's world have no idea what it means to go through what they did. No idea at all. We could round up all the junk in our basement and sell it and that would add up to more money than some of them lived off of for months or years. Most people I know have two cars (or more) in their driveway, multiple flat screen TV's, multiple computers, multiple game consoles, etc etc. Back then you were lucky if your family HAD a car much less anything else we have that we take for granted! I don't have any idea what a Great Depression would look like if it happened tomorrow. I know it wouldn't be like it was in the 1930's.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
I agree with you 100%,Im not saying it isnt bad or that people arent hurting..
But we are not in a depression!I wish the news would quit freaking people out..
By calling it that.
Ive heard all the stories from older folks, hunting rabbits with pellet rifles for food...
Eating whatever they could find.
With todays folks if we had a true depression it would get ugly.
I would leave Wichita very quickly lol

Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 AM

24 posts, read 56,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I agree with you in that I wish people would stop saying we are in a recession. It's not that we aren't actually in a recession. We have actually met the official criteria in order to be declared in recession.

Every time people hear the word recession on the news their a$$ cheeks pucker, they start thinking the world is coming to an end and they put a hold on purchasing everything. Even some of the wealthiest of folks do this (people who have no idea what it means to be poor and if they lost 90% of their wealth they could still buy my a$$ 10 times over).

My 93 year old grandmother is probably worth multiple millions and lives like a pauper. She watches the news and reads the paper. When I saw her over Christmas she mentioned that she was going to have to cut back on expenses and it was getting harder for her to get by. She's got no debt...NONE...and receives SS, retirement benefits from teaching 35 years, pension money from my gp's retirement from the railroad, and money from all the 1000's of acres of farm land she leases. I don't know what the market will bring for and acre of lush farm land but it's probably not pennies.

My other grandmother who is also the same age isn't as well off but the thing they have in common is that they are both debt free and own their homes outright. She's probably worth $200k....$100k of it in cash that we're aware of. She slipped me an Abe Lincoln for my Christmas present and it was hard for me to keep from cracking up. "Oh well thank you grandma!" LOL...I love my grandmas!

Both of those women lived through the Great Depression. They saw the hardship first hand and lived it every day! That's why they are the way they are. People in today's world have no idea what it means to go through what they did. No idea at all. We could round up all the junk in our basement and sell it and that would add up to more money than some of them lived off of for months or years. Most people I know have two cars (or more) in their driveway, multiple flat screen TV's, multiple computers, multiple game consoles, etc etc. Back then you were lucky if your family HAD a car much less anything else we have that we take for granted! I don't have any idea what a Great Depression would look like if it happened tomorrow. I know it wouldn't be like it was in the 1930's.
You miss the point, your 90 yo grandma is a dying breed. Let me put it to you this way, when the great depression hit the hardest it was 1933. The crash started in 1929 and did exactly as it is now, it progressively got worse every year while W, I mean Hoover said that all was well and it was just a minor hiccup, until it was to late. By 33 Things were very hard. Now 60% of the population lived on farms, They may not have had money and new clothes, but they ate. We live in an era where 90% of the population thinks Potatoes grow on trees, and have no idea that there is a gut pile somewhere for that burger they are slogging down at Mickey Ds. They feel disenfranchised if they can not have the latest video game. They do not know what the water cycle is and could not grow mold in a dirty bathroom. This is where the problem is. People in your grandmothers time and my great grandmothers time were used to hard times and work. They would not riot if they could not get the latest radio from the Woolworths. The were different people in a different time. People would have grandma and pa, uncle and aunt brothers and sisters and mom and dad all living in one home. Now people want to graduate and have a Mcmansion 3 cars and 2 kids and a vacation 2 times a year to the Bahamas. And then deny that things are going to or are bad. People just do not want to hear what they do not want to hear. I can only read but I know that many of the poster above go around with hands over their ears going LALALALALALAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita