U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 PM

117 posts, read 228,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I returned to KS for 3 years to finish school at KU and have to agree, Lawrence is a great town. The only place I'd remotely consider living in Kansas.
Same here, but I wanted out of Kansas too much so I moved to Cali. Warm weather and the ocean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 PM

10,852 posts, read 15,182,199 times
Modron, whee on earth did you get this idea?:

"You don't think she's a person who considers herself a good Christian. I'm sure she's "pro-life," too, which is highly consistent with being glad someone's had the "life sucked out of them." It's Kansas, athfo, the first thing you can count on is that the author of that post is a good, God-fearing Pro-Life Christian who wishes - if you're a liberal - that your momma would have aborted you - because - afterall - God loves her, but hates you."

There is more than one town in the USA that is stiffling. It doesn't have to be conservative. All it needs is a collective mindset that 'we are not going to accept change, or outsiders, or new ideas." All of the people that I know, who are anti-abortion have one thing in common: they never had to make that choice; and most of them are men. It really isn't about politics or religion. It's a struggle about control.

If your 13-year old daughter pulled a daisy chain and got knocked up by only god knows who, and you chose an abortion for her, would you take her to a back alley butcher and risk her life, or would you take her to a hospital where she would have the proceedure and good medical care?

Surely you would want the same medical care for your child that you expect for yourself.

I don't necessarily agree with abortion. I definately do not agree with abortion on demand, nor do I agree with partial birth abortion. What I do agree with is a sanitary medical facility with qualified personel. The rest is up to God and the momma. Not every woman that goes into an aboriton clinic has the proceedure; sometimes it is to explore options.

Last edited by linicx; 02-10-2009 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: edit; edit

Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 AM

3,488 posts, read 5,099,228 times
saw this on a bumper-sticker:

"God favors no one group - religions were formed to do that"

my Kansas-born mother was certainly agnostic and maybe leaning toward atheist....she couldn't quite bring herself to go all the way to atheist, I think, because I'm sure she feared she'd burn in Hell!!........."just in case......"

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM

271 posts, read 87,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
saw this on a bumper-sticker:

"God favors no one group - religions were formed to do that"

my Kansas-born mother was certainly agnostic and maybe leaning toward atheist....she couldn't quite bring herself to go all the way to atheist, I think, because I'm sure she feared she'd burn in Hell!!........."just in case......"
Ahhh, Pasqual's wager, If god is real and you are Christian you are safe, if he does not exist then what have you lost by being Christian? Not a smart way to think, its like a Christian told me once, that with out the "good book" and its laws the world would go crazy. I asked him a question, So with those laws they keep you in line, yep he said, OK so if you did not have those laws you would be out raping and killing people? Well no he said. So then you really do not need that book to be a good person do you. That is when you get the let's change the subject.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 AM

117 posts, read 228,408 times
Just leave religion out of the whole conversation. Everyone has different opinions and different religions obviously but by doggin on each other I don't really think we're helpin the person that started this thread. My advice to the person, just get outta Kansas or move to Lawrence.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM

11,165 posts, read 12,802,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jhwk View Post
Same here, but I wanted out of Kansas too much so I moved to Cali. Warm weather and the ocean!
So did I - spent 11 or 12 years in SoCal. But I'm glad we got out when we did - things are much better here in Denver for us.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 AM

107 posts, read 318,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

So this non-Christian dies and finds himself in line at the pearly gates. St Peter looks in his book and then tells the man that his name isn't listed anywhere so he has to leave. "Bummer," says the guy. So he gets in the elevator, presses the only button - the down button - and descends. When the doors open, he walks out onto a beautiful beach. Sun shining, slight breeze, perfect temperature. People are swimming, playing volleyball, laughing it up and having a good time. A stranger walks up to the man and hands him a drink. "Welcome," he says, "There's plenty of food and drink - enjoy yourself!" The man asks, "Is this Hell?" The stranger chuckles, "Goodness, no!" Just then, angry clouds gather in the sky accompanied by lightening and loud claps of thunder. A hole opens in the sky and a person can be seen falling through the hole and towards the beach. Down, down, down they fall. Just before they hit the sand, another hole opens up with flames shooting out. The person flies through and the hole closes with a big smokey burp. "What the heck was that?" the man exclaims. "Christian," the stranger says with a shrug, "they won't have it any other way."

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 PM

268 posts, read 527,913 times
Where on earth did I get this idea? In Kansas on a routine basis. Why? Where do you live?

And, my remarks aren't about abortion. They're about the loveless God of the Religious Right - and their remarkable double standard. I almost think it's interesting you missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Modron, whee on earth did you get this idea?:

"You don't think she's a person who considers herself a good Christian. I'm sure she's "pro-life," too, which is highly consistent with being glad someone's had the "life sucked out of them." It's Kansas, athfo, the first thing you can count on is that the author of that post is a good, God-fearing Pro-Life Christian who wishes - if you're a liberal - that your momma would have aborted you - because - afterall - God loves her, but hates you."

There is more than one town in the USA that is stiffling. It doesn't have to be conservative. All it needs is a collective mindset that 'we are not going to accept change, or outsiders, or new ideas." All of the people that I know, who are anti-abortion have one thing in common: they never had to make that choice; and most of them are men. It really isn't about politics or religion. It's a struggle about control.

If your 13-year old daughter pulled a daisy chain and got knocked up by only god knows who, and you chose an abortion for her, would you take her to a back alley butcher and risk her life, or would you take her to a hospital where she would have the proceedure and good medical care?

Surely you would want the same medical care for your child that you expect for yourself.

I don't necessarily agree with abortion. I definately do not agree with abortion on demand, nor do I agree with partial birth abortion. What I do agree with is a sanitary medical facility with qualified personel. The rest is up to God and the momma. Not every woman that goes into an aboriton clinic has the proceedure; sometimes it is to explore options.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM

378 posts, read 1,098,087 times
Ok, I'm pretty sure this thread has gone way downhill. Dead horses are now being beaten. If it needs to continue, could this thread please be moved to a different area of the forums? Thank you.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM

133 posts, read 182,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
You don't think she's a person who considers herself a good Christian. I'm sure she's "pro-life," too, which is highly consistent with being glad someone's had the "life sucked out of them." It's Kansas, athfo, the first thing you can count on is that the author of that post is a good, God-fearing Pro-Life Christian who wishes - if you're a liberal - that your momma would have aborted you - because - afterall - God loves her, but hates you.

God will not be mocked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita