U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:58 PM

118 posts, read 575,530 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to be heading out that way in a month or so. bet you can guess where we are...no job..yup that's right Michigan. I am going to stay back here and keep things going the best I can. He does construction and well out here there is no construction. He just go back from Pennsylvania in June. There is work out east but there are so many companies fighting over the jobs that one day you have work the next day you've been out bid and have to head home. I know it gets cold there, I live in Michigan and cold and snow do occur here...lol. I was living in northern Michigan where it is worse but at this moment we are just north of Detroit.

We have a suburban, my husband plans on staying in that until he can find someone to room with. If this turns out to be a long term thing I will move out that way but not necessarily where he is working, just close enough to be able to come home when he has time off. I have a few friends who's hubbys have went out west to work one couple stayed in a camper the other lives out here and her hubby comes home when he has time off.

From what we have been reading Williston is a good place to find work but not a place to lay your head. are there other towns we should go to? or even fill out apps online? When he come out he wants to have a cell phone, does straight talk work out there? it runs off of the verizon network. I am just looking for some advice, and please don't come down on me for wanting to come out there. We have tried to weather the storm out here, there is no work. My husband has been off for 2 years besides the sporadic jobs he did this spring. His unemployment was set to run out but the emergency benefits were passed and we decided if there are opportunities else where then we shall head in that direction. I work but I don't enough hours to pay our bills and gas and food. As ib bills I mean rent and utilities.

Any suggestions would be helpful. We are terrified. We thought we could ride out this recession but I don't want to get into a dire situation and have n out. We have seen so many families leave our area, its sad to see our state like this.

We are willing to at least give it a try and see how it goes. We dont have tons of money to relocate. It is my husband and I, with our 2 girls(6&10) plus cat and dogs. yes I have chihuahua's , i guess they will have to use puppy pads in the winter...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM

394 posts, read 1,012,666 times
I live in Jamestown and getting a contractor to do smaller jobs is like pulling teeth. They are all booked, and won't touch the handy man stuff.

I own rentals and can never find anyone responsible. You know that will show up when they say, do the job they say they will, do at least fair to good quality work, and not expect my 1st born child as payment.

I would expect that he could look for employment in most of the state. Williston may have the jobs, but I wouldn't want to live in my car in North Dakota. From Bismarck East there is still a good economy, just not the insanity of the oil patch.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 PM

738 posts, read 1,406,734 times
I actually applaud you and your family for the courage to pull up stakes and move. You will have a bright future in North Dakota: good economy, good education system, low crime, down-to-earth people. The oil boom is likely just starting and may run for 10 more years.

Instead of Williston, where it is very difficult to find housing (unless an employer guarantees it), check out Minot or Bismarck, which are more diversified but still affected by the oil economy. Even Fargo and Grand Forks have unemployment under 4%.

The North Dakota Job Service website has a long list of job openings. Check that out as much as possible and make as many contacts as possible before going out there. It would save you some hassle and perhaps you can land a position and housing all at once.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks. I really don't want to hear the people saying that there's no place to live and customer service sucks. Put your self in our situation, no money no food, social services won't help because you don't have an address. No matter where you live, if you don't have a way to pay for housing then you don't have a place to live. We don't have statewide housing like some states. here in Michigan you have to live in the Ghetto and risk your life to live there. At least this way my husband is doing something instead of watching his family live on the street. Things are bad here in Flint Michigan, you really can't judge and say what you would do in this same situation. We thought oh we can ride this out, well with all money gone we have no choice. He is literally getting in the truck and driving to find work, we know there is work out there why go and drive around other states, put in apps and sit for 2 weeks? He has to choose a sure way and North Dakota sounds like it has the work and the right kind of environment for my kids.

I am sorry I just don't want to hear how people are living in their cars out there cuz people are living in their cars out here too.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Sorry if I sounded rude I was rushing out the door I apologize. Nothing against North Dakota but if I could choose I would stay here at home in Michigan where I grew up. It's my home and I love our giant lakes, fantastic beaches and lush greenery and trees. When it comes down to it we have to do whats best for the kids. We have a freaking serial stabber on the loose here.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM

979 posts, read 3,251,907 times
trickey280...If you choose to move to Williston, your husband will have no problems finding work. Housing is short, but things are panning out in Williston for housing. There are several new housing developments in the process of being built. Another new trailer park is in the works (the others are filled up)...apartments are also full, but more are being built. Your husband could look into using one of the "mancamps" that are popping up around Williston. Depending where he ends up getting a job, many of the oil companies will assist with temp housing until permanent housing can be found. To warn, there are people living in tents, RV parks, hotels, etc... but people are doing what they need to do until permanent housing opens up for them. If you read through some of the past Williston Herald newspapers, and some of the links, you will get a feel of what is going on there. There is more GOOD than bad things happening in the Williston area...it is a nice town, safe, good schools...also..there are lots of Michigan plates driving around that town, so you would have some familiar company at least. ATCO out of Calgary, Alberta was just granted approval to build a 200 unit "man camp" in north Williston. This camp would be open to any worker (not ran by an oil company) this could be an alternative for him for a while... and maybe if things work out for him, you and your family could join him once permanent living quarters can be obtained. Another would be to move to a town farther away from the boom...Minot, Bismarck, etc...where housing is tight, but not impossible to find and your husband might be able to commute or work days on and then off. Maybe read some of the information in the links below. You might find some helpful information or contacts.

www.willistonherald.com
Williston ND - Homepage
http://www.willistonnd.com/relocatio...ationGuide.pdf

Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Thanks I really appreciate the input and the relocation guide will be very useful. Should my husband just drive out there or should we apply online. I am a medical assistant here in Michigan are there medical assistants in North Dakota?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,408,018 times
Minot, ND could use some more contractors for just about everything. Look at Job Service North Dakota and see what is available. I know the company down my street is looking for more people to do carpentry, plumbing, etc.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 27,150 times
Hi all. Here is the deal. I was relocated to Boise about 4 months ago. Two months after moving here the company I worked for laid a bunch of us off. I have since been offered a position with Schlumberger in Williston. However, my wife is not very interested in relocating again. Especially since my oldest son just started school in Sept. She is also concerned about the winters. As for myself I grew up in the UP of Michigan so winter is not much of a concern to me. Any suggestions on selling her on Williston? Thanks for your help.
Steve

Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,452,522 times
Default I wouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpd8405 View Post
Hi all. Here is the deal. I was relocated to Boise about 4 months ago. Two months after moving here the company I worked for laid a bunch of us off. I have since been offered a position with Schlumberger in Williston. However, my wife is not very interested in relocating again. Especially since my oldest son just started school in Sept. She is also concerned about the winters. As for myself I grew up in the UP of Michigan so winter is not much of a concern to me. Any suggestions on selling her on Williston? Thanks for your help.
Steve
Schlumberger runs crews for extended periods of time with some extended period of time off. Considering that apartments or housing, if you can find one, will be considerably expensive in terms of the population. If your wife is already having concerns about moving, then don't. Housing, if available, will be minimal and possibly unlivable in her standards. You won't be home much so it could be possible to just commute to Boise but that is up to you.

Being from the UP, expect similar colder winters. Most of the winters in North Dakota are commonly -40 ambient in January and February.

If you have experience in the oil business, the Bakken is the hot area now that the Gulf work having to restart. You could be headed there anyways but winter isn't the best time to move there if you've never been to the area before. If you are a CDL driver, it is a little tougher than the UP but not that much.

If you don't (many Schlumberger employees don't), I can't recommend chasing jobs up there right now. The Bakken is a trying place, even for locals. Adding the stress of changing careers or sectors on top of getting 4-5 hours of sunlight and living in a town of 15k people which is the only town for a 1 hour radius can be trying after living in cities. You might move there, work for 2 months and quit. That would be a shame but it happens a lot.

Just my 2 cents from someone who works up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston