Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 04:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,210,485 times

Advertisements

Why would you answer my question with a snotty reply? (Which didn't answer the question, btw)

If anyone has a *helpful* reply (to my question about off-duty vs on), it would be appreciated. On the other hand, if you're just looking for a chance to be condescending and snide, please find another victim. This has been a hard enough decision as it is.

Also, everytime I read the reg, it still says the exact same thing. Telling me to read it again is not clarifying *anything*...

Last edited by itsMeFred; 02-02-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM

443 posts, read 803,952 times
Hours-of-Service Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
scroll to bottom of page.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM

443 posts, read 803,952 times
Hours-of-Service Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
click on blue "sleeper berth provision" you will open a page that explains the oilfield exemption, among other things.

Last edited by ursa22; 02-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 PM

175 posts, read 458,918 times
I'm just confused as to how this is possible w/o violating the 14-hr rule. You can't drive after the 14th hour whether or not you've gotten your 11 in.

... Of course I still need to read the oilfield exemptions so my point could be mute.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM

23 posts, read 62,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
I'm just confused as to how this is possible w/o violating the 14-hr rule. You can't drive after the 14th hour whether or not you've gotten your 11 in.

... Of course I still need to read the oilfield exemptions so my point could be mute.
You can work as much as you want after the 14. Such as loading or unloading, taking readings, or testing products. You can't drive until the 10 hour break is taken.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,447 times
Default Newcomber to the oil field crude oil hauling

Hi everyone,
can anyone help me get started hauling crude oil in North Dakota on the Bakken Oil Field? I have over 20 years in the trucking industry and owned my own company for over 14 years. I am currently the Transportation Manager of an Environmental Services company in Seattle, WA. I have a 4 axle daycab tractor and a 50' 3 axle, 250 barrel tanker. I can lease on (for awhile) but would rather have my own business. I would like to make contact with a contractor over there if possible. I know the housing situation is extremely tight. I plan on visiting there several times before I make my move. I am planning on starting around May or June of this year (2012). I hope someone can help me out. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,766 times
I have a quick question for everyone on here. I am going to be getting my CDL with as many endorsements as possible (airbrake, tanker, hazmat, dbl/tpl, etc) on March 14th, which was the first appointment available at the DMV. I have about 5yrs combined experience driving a 3/4 ton pickup with a 24' mowing trailer & lots of experience working in all weather and all hours of the day & night while plowing & shoveling for a landscaping company. I also drove for Hibbing Taconite Mining Co. up in northern MN for a summer driving the 250-ton mining dump trucks for a 3 month contract job. My question is, since I have no official experience driving with my CDL what are the odds I'll be able to find a decent job with housing? I don't care what kind of housing, just a warm place to lay my head. I know insurance companies are looking for 1-2yrs of experience, but I don't want to go through the expense of getting my CDL if I can't find a job! Also, I will be moving out there but my wife & kids will be staying in the Twin Cities. I would like to find something that is 2wks on 1 wk off but am flexible. I know that I can't expect to find a job immediately and it's going to take some footwork to find something, but I have about 2 months worth of seed money saved up so it'd be nice if I could find something before then. I've been trying to line something up online before I make the move out there but I haven't been getting many replies since I don't have the CDL yet. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 13,766 times
I should also mention, the last about 4 years I've been in a sales job, so my driving history is a little old.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 AM

6 posts, read 14,739 times
Default CDL or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishuhalik View Post
I should also mention, the last about 4 years I've been in a sales job, so my driving history is a little old.
CDL ? For me myself personally, heck yeah , and I'd have that CDL in hand asap oil boom or not
Tarrying would just keep me home on my arse doing zilch,

Exp will come rapidly, start as a laborer driver with that license in hand
Employers are great for recognizing good work, they'll get you where you want
to be, trust this as that is how it happened for myself

If you are truly handy already with heavy trucks, it'll show quick

And since you're a newbie:
NĂºmero UNO rule* Go slow, never hurry, build up over a couple yrs
to where you can be quicker and safe

PS:I was there by Williston back in 08', Watford City too
Hard to believe nice 2bdrm apts went for 425$ in Watford

Good luck all

Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishuhalik View Post
I have a quick question for everyone on here. I am going to be getting my CDL with as many endorsements as possible (airbrake, tanker, hazmat, dbl/tpl, etc) on March 14th, which was the first appointment available at the DMV. I have about 5yrs combined experience driving a 3/4 ton pickup with a 24' mowing trailer & lots of experience working in all weather and all hours of the day & night while plowing & shoveling for a landscaping company. I also drove for Hibbing Taconite Mining Co. up in northern MN for a summer driving the 250-ton mining dump trucks for a 3 month contract job. My question is, since I have no official experience driving with my CDL what are the odds I'll be able to find a decent job with housing? I don't care what kind of housing, just a warm place to lay my head. I know insurance companies are looking for 1-2yrs of experience, but I don't want to go through the expense of getting my CDL if I can't find a job! Also, I will be moving out there but my wife & kids will be staying in the Twin Cities. I would like to find something that is 2wks on 1 wk off but am flexible. I know that I can't expect to find a job immediately and it's going to take some footwork to find something, but I have about 2 months worth of seed money saved up so it'd be nice if I could find something before then. I've been trying to line something up online before I make the move out there but I haven't been getting many replies since I don't have the CDL yet. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

I was just like you before i got my cdl. As soon as i got my cdl, i put in an application and couples days later i was offer a job up in williston. same schedule as what you wanted. I am too from the twincities. most important is having you cdl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston