U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 PM

477 posts, read 846,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyraygolf View Post
Are there any places to park a motorhome Wes at least water sewer
None with sewer and water right now, maybe in the spring if you can find an opening, but you will need to be lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 AM

44 posts, read 31,489 times
Default CDL requirements

Ok so i got a question. I was thinking it may be in my best interest to get my cdl and hire on with a company and commit to a year or so to get the experience. I mean i can get my cdl permit really easily here in CO but what is everyone's opinion? better to do the driving idea first or just get my permit and apply? I mean what are alot of the companies up there looking for?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,213,362 times
The question is will they hire you with just a permit? Most companies that do the contract term will assist you with everything, I would just see how much they ********* out of if you quit during the contract. Some companies feel their training is worth 15k and ridiculous amounts like that. Also make sure you get a Class A, don't get convinced a B is a good starting point because it's cheaper and easier.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by David Aguilar; 02-29-2012 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: please do not discuss moderation on the forums

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM

2,094 posts, read 2,657,481 times
Moderator cut: orphaned statement

To the question: I would avoid a contract if at all possible! A CDL isn't really such a valuable thing that they're out money for training you. They're actually just locking you in to a mediocre job...

My husband got his when he was 21 and working for the county road dept in BFE, Nebraska. He drove the truck a few times to get a feel for it and work on his walk around, studied the book for a week and then took his test. Passed the written, as well as picking up his tank end, but flunked the walk around. So he waited a week til the examiner was back in town and retook. Passed with flying colors.

The CDL is not that difficult of a test, really. The hardest part is getting a truck to test with. My father in law used a neighbor's cattle pot... that would be my suggestion. Make some contacts locally and find a truck that you can practice on and test with

Last edited by David Aguilar; 03-01-2012 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: orphaned statement

Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM

670 posts, read 776,078 times
When we first started looking into ND last September for my hubby everyone said a CDL permit was sufficient, as the comapnies trained you anyways. Now is not the case and now it seems a CDL is what they are looking for. Sucks, lol!! But if you are looking into getting in oilfields I would not sign any contract with trucking companies just to have them pay for it. I saw on a truckers forum a lot of people end up quitting before year is up and pay a fortune back. I also read that when they get jobs in oilfield with a new CDl, they don't drive all the time so that would take care of worrying about not having too much driving experience.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM

477 posts, read 846,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
When we first started looking into ND last September for my hubby everyone said a CDL permit was sufficient, as the comapnies trained you anyways. Now is not the case and now it seems a CDL is what they are looking for. Sucks, lol!! But if you are looking into getting in oilfields I would not sign any contract with trucking companies just to have them pay for it. I saw on a truckers forum a lot of people end up quitting before year is up and pay a fortune back. I also read that when they get jobs in oilfield with a new CDl, they don't drive all the time so that would take care of worrying about not having too much driving experience.

I know that some rig companies are starting that too with the paying back of training cost if you quit before so many months have passed. Can't blame them with so many getting trained and then quitting, hopping from rig to rig around here.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 AM

well understand any company i hire on the contract with them to cover getting me my full CDL would be about a year at max which if i commit to i will do. I am a man of my word. I don't mind the commitment as it would give me four seasons worth of driving experience. I just was not sure if companies out there for oil work are taking on people with only thier CDL permits or do they want full CDL with air brakes and tanker and/or flatbed? If i was going to sign on with anyone i was going to look into a flatbed company as i hear it is closest without getting an actual tanker. So a commitment aint an issue and i aint worried about them screwing me if i dont live up to it as if i sign up for a commitment i plan on living up to that said commitment. I am just trying to make sure i dont sign up for one when i can just get my permit here with a simple knowledge test.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 AM

The company i plan on signing on with sicne they will train me and get me driving is a long haul BTW if that helps explain my plan if it is worth it.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM

2,094 posts, read 2,657,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Cracker View Post
I just was not sure if companies out there for oil work are taking on people with only thier CDL permits or do they want full CDL with air brakes and tanker and/or flatbed? If i was going to sign on with anyone i was going to look into a flatbed company as i hear it is closest without getting an actual tanker.
Maybe this is a state thing? In Nebraska, the "air brakes test" is just part of your CDL-A... DH and I ran across several ads asking for a CDL with air brakes and thought "Duh. That's part of the CDL."

And I've never heard of a "flatbed" endorsement. If you have a CDL-A, you can pull flatbeds, dry vans, hopper bottoms, cattle pots, etc. etc. The only thing you can't pull is a tank (because you need a tanker endorsement which isn't any harder to get in CO than it is in NE, from what I've heard). You also can't haul haz mat, obviously, or double/triple trailers, since both of those have their own endorsements as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
I hear a few companies readily hire folks who have just attained their cdl.... anyone have first hand knowledge of who they are??? Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston