U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,801,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
What I was talking about is requiring constant, daily, slavish overtime under threat of firing. That's a sweatshop and it was ended around the turn of the last century under labor laws. As I mentioned before, running your employees to the point of exhaustion is not healthy for the company or the employee. Granted, it depends on the nature of the job to an extent as well. Sitting at the steering wheel for 12 hours is not exactly an intense physical job, although it can be exhausting in other ways. I think the DOT rules are to keep the roads safe more than to look out for the driver's health anyway. Anyone wants to kill themselves off, it doesn't matter to me. I'm working a lot of hours right now as well. But there is no way I'm going to do it until I'm old and broken down.

The nature of my job (one of my jobs) is dumping (by hand) anywhere for 25 to 75 kilo barrels/boxes of chemicals/food product in prescribed amounts and mixed. It's a very controlled, sterile environment and stupid mistakes due to fatigue or drowsiness could affect customer's health (causing lawsuits--we have to actually sign a legal document every time we mix a product) and waste tens of thousands of dollars for the company in raw product. It's not worth it for the company to work their employees like slaves. Very few are mentally and physically capable (including me!) of doing any more than occasional OT and keep their errors to a minimum. The company knows that, so that's why they don't require 20 hour shifts seven days a week. They realize we are not all superman types. So the issue won't come up anyway.
Sweatshop laws were actually focused more towards children. Today the ONLY laws in regards to overtime on a federal level are applicable to children under the age of 15.

Sorry - but you can't sue. There are no laws stating that you can't be on call 24/7, there are no laws stating that you can't be fired for refusing to work over time.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Status: "Ha, ha, ha... that's what you get! All on video, buddy." (set 5 days ago)

5,661 posts, read 4,450,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Sweatshop laws were actually focused more towards children. Today the ONLY laws in regards to overtime on a federal level are applicable to children under the age of 15.

Sorry - but you can't sue. There are no laws stating that you can't be on call 24/7, there are no laws stating that you can't be fired for refusing to work over time.
As I said, it doesn't matter anyway because I don't (nor would I) work for a sweatshop that doesn't give a damn about my health or their own as a company. There really isn't any sort of security or integrity in a company that runs an employee into the ground and cans him/her once he/she is used up and then hires someone else who is willing to do 20 hour days until he/she can't handle it any longer, fires 'em and starts over again. That's not the type of employer I'm interested in working for.

On a side note, I looked over the paperwork I signed when I started working that second job. The clause about not requiring any more than occasional overtime is something they offer all full time employees. So it's legally contracted for that particular company. It's one of their "selling points" for attracting long-term employees, I assume. Very few want to work for a predatory firm. There is plenty of opportunity for overtime there, but it's not mandated as a general rule. Lucky me. And luckily the unemployment around here is pretty low, so companies still have to compete for good employees, rather than the converse.

Unread 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,831 times
KYCHLO: Thanks very much for your information. I am an owner operator who has suffered at the hands of the recession in 2009 and 2010. I do not want to committ bankruptcy. My dad died last summer and I had a double episode nervous breakdown due to losing him, our farm, my trucking business, and having my mom, brother, and sis all turn against me. I am due to lose my home in August 7, 2011. I need help getting back up on my feet. I am not asking for a handout, but I am asking for a hand up and in this case, who can I contact? I have a FLD 120 and 2 Pete Cabovers wanting to give good honest hard working men a chance to help themselves. Can you help send me straight? [email]Classpays1959@yahoo.com[/email] God Bless n Appreciate Your Info. -rdm

Unread 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 15,258 times
Is there a chance in heck that a 60 year old very physically fit woman can get on with a trucking company in the oilfields of ND. CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsements born and raised in ND so weather does not scare me.

Unread 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM

887 posts, read 2,225,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleen View Post
Is there a chance in heck that a 60 year old very physically fit woman can get on with a trucking company in the oilfields of ND. CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsements born and raised in ND so weather does not scare me.
I don't see why not? I've seen a couple articles about women in the industry. One was hauling for Basin Well services out of Belfield if I'm not mistaken. She said some of the guys would try help her, but she helped the guys out more than she ever needed help. lol

Unread 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

59 posts, read 149,695 times
its missouri basin well service ...... and they do have women drivers .good luck to you

Unread 06-23-2011, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 15,258 times
Would any trucking company servicing the oil fields hire a 60 year old woman with haz mat and tanker endorsements. I am from ND originally and have been working as a field supervisor for a paving company for the last 10 years plus driving hauling equipment etc all over the southwest. I am not into age denial but have always held up my end of any task put before me. Age has never been a factor or gender.

Unread 06-25-2011, 01:52 AM

145 posts, read 181,503 times
Does anybody know of an oilfield trucking company that will help you get your cdl license? I can drive truck, just don't have the license to.

Unread 06-27-2011, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,326 times
Yes the prices of every thing is high. Even at Wally World. He was very correct on the housing also. Cheap apartments...2 bedroom one bath with no insulation, cracks in the walls run from $1,600.00 to $2,1000.00 a month. That is if you can find one. No place to park your camp trailers. If you can find one they are around $800.00 a month and does not include cable or power. Then they close come winter time. Good money and nice people but they are not ready for this kind of population.

Unread 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,422 times
Default belly dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoltonTrucking View Post
I have a belly dump and a flatbed trail, looking for work in Williston, or Minot area. Hard worker, Reliable and Ready now. Anyone know where to start?

Still looking for a belly dump job? Willing to go into canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston