U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,988,137 times
As for RV hookups, it all depends on the time of the year. In the summer it's extremely difficult, right now I don't think it'd be as bad. But it is still VERY cold up here. As for price, I've heard of places charging $400 a month to $400 a week... it all depends.

As for largest city near Tioga, depends on what you mean by "largest". The first major city in North Dakota near Tioga is Williston, next would be Minot. If you want to go larger, then it would be Bismarck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM

477 posts, read 853,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Checked out The Shopper today, $1,200 to rent a room in someone's basement, they're by Trenton.

This is getting ridiculous.

It is really sad, today in the Williston Herald there is an one bedroom apartment for $2,000 for rent.

Well Wyoming is picking up and I have noticed more ads where they are needing workers down there...maybe that will wake some people up a bit that this won't last forever, there are other places that are going to prosper more too.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM

902 posts, read 2,345,437 times
The Niobrara Shale you are talking about has potential, but it will not stop the amount of drilling and investment taking place in the Bakken up in North Dakota. The Niobrara has not panned out to be anything close to the Bakken so far. But with the price of oil rising, other oil states will see new drilling. But I doubt it will impact what is happening in ND. There is just too much potential for these companies to pull out. You might lose some workers, but others will just move into their place. The economy around the country is still not good, and you will have more and more people from other states flocking in for the jobs. Just wait till this spring. I bet you will see thousands of transplants moving in to look for work. They will continue to build housing, and the prices will eventually taper and go down as more and more are built, but it will take a while to reach that neutral supply and demand plateau.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,988,137 times
I saw that place in the Williston Herald as well. It makes me kind of sick to know how much people are charging for rent up here. When I win the lottery I fully intend to build affordable apartments up here. LOL

I haven't heard much about drilling for oil in Wyoming. We were in Wyoming before we came up here, and they were drilling for natural gas in the Jonas Field and one other field that was right next to it that I can't remember lol. Anyway, work there is picking up but it's nothing like it was pre-recession. My husband is still friends with quite a few of the guys in the Wyoming shop and the situation there is kind of the opposite of ND. In Wyoming companies are having to compete for work on the wells so the money being made isn't nearly as much as it is up here. Up here it's the other way around, companies leasing the land are paying top dollar to try and get a crew to work on their rig locations because there's just not enough workers.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM

902 posts, read 2,345,437 times
Somewhat excited for Williston when I read in today's Herald that another housing project was approved for 48 townhomes. But looking at their webpage and looking over the floor plans, etc... they appear once again to be targeted towards oil companies. The townhomes look more like flats and not designed for families. They appear to be more like dormitory style condos. But I guess if oil companies do purchase or lease them for their workers, it is still a good thing for Williston in the long run.

Williston Herald - Online Edition (http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2011/03/03/news/doc4d6fd29169b6c678643365.txt - broken link)

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,009,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Somewhat excited for Williston when I read in today's Herald that another housing project was approved for 48 townhomes. But looking at their webpage and looking over the floor plans, etc... they appear once again to be targeted towards oil companies. The townhomes look more like flats and not designed for families. They appear to be more like dormitory style condos. But I guess if oil companies do purchase or lease them for their workers, it is still a good thing for Williston in the long run.

Williston Herald - Online Edition (http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2011/03/03/news/doc4d6fd29169b6c678643365.txt - broken link)
Wow... those do look a bit "institutional," don't they? Lot's of similar dwellings around here for college students. They usually pack 4 to 6 singles into each of them. I don't know what is wrong with architects these days. They could at least not make them look so cookie-cutter cheap, even if they are. A small home needn't be poorly designed. I guess the developers hired the cheapest architects as well. It's funny to me how the very cheapest small homes a hundred years ago may have been cheap, but they were actually cute, cozy, and well-designed for their small spaces. Look at some of the "Sear's Catalog Homes" from the 1920's. Now they are actually classics! People look for those homes now. They actually had some great looks and style. Not the case anymore. Now, smaller homes often end up looking like prisons or institutions of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston