Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,754 times

Advertisements

It has been almost 2 years since my hubby took the job in ND. He has secured us house for 1 year. I have have so many mixed feelings about it, but happy to be able to be with my husband.

I told my husband that if we move up there it has to be near shopping. (I live at least 2 hours from shopping now)
We were supposed to just go for the summer, but was talked into going for a year.

My daughters want to know what kind of sports there are out there? I can't imagine the kids doing much sports there being so cold and all.

Are there any community centers and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Depends on the age of your child, but there are several sports offered here. Sports like basketball that are indoors are played during the colder seasons. Hockey is big and is a winter season sport. Sports are very popular up here... I don't see how it being cold up here would prevent people being involved in athletics. Not all sports are outdoors and it still gets warm up here.

Willistonparks

As for shopping... LOL. We have a Penny's, Maurice's, and some other store (something like Forever 21). There's a kitchen specialty shop and some other types of shopping. We're also getting a Menard's, which is kinda like Home Depot. But if you want a real mall the closest one is Minot, which is 2 hours away.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,754 times
oh cool, yea my daughter almost 16, loves track and soccer. My son who is 10 almost 11 is wanting to do wrestling, football, and baseball.

Is there a rite aid and a walgreens? Target? my favorite stores.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNeckWife View Post
oh cool, yea my daughter almost 16, loves track and soccer. My son who is 10 almost 11 is wanting to do wrestling, football, and baseball.

Walgreens are not really in North Dakota yet...though there is one in Fargo. Grand Forks area where I live has a CVS and Thrity White Drug. I travel to Minot frequently as have in-laws there...and there is a CVS there. Target....we love that store too....but closest one is in Minot at the mall there.

Dan

Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNeckWife View Post

Nope, as far as major chains go we have a WalMart and Albertson's. There's Economart as well, that's it for grocery shopping. WalMart is really the only place that's even close to similar to Target. There is one kids clothing shop, but I think it's more like a used clothing store. Not sure, though, because I've never been there.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
lisan23...I read in the paper yesterday that a developer is planning a subdivision for 1,500 housing units, and now today another developer is planning one for another 600...that is a lot of housing for Williston! With 2,100 new housing units, you are probably talking an average of 3 people per unit (depending on whether single household or 3-4 people in the family)...could be another 4,000-5,000 new Willistonites??? Hopefully this will help in getting some national chains there too??

Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Ya, the developer who is doing the 1,500 housing units is Granite Peaks. I took a look at the plans online, they're planning a couple of high rise and a couple of lowrise apartment buildings as well as twin homes and regular houses. They're also wanting to put in a gas station or convenience store, a fast food chain, and one other retail outlet in the same area.

I am a little concerned about this. First, the other development of multi-unit housing they built is geared solely for oil companies so I wonder if this is going to be any different. I hope so. BUT if it is geared more towards families then I wonder what they're going to do about Hagan Elementary. They're already going to have 5 kindergarten classes next year and are having modulars put in to help with the # of students they have. I've been volunteering over there and they asked me to come on as a para-educator despite the fact that I don't have a degree. They are short 5 teacher aides right now, it will likely become more over the summer. The local schools are really beyond carrying capacity as it is. Now... this is something I overheard at the school and so I don't know how reliable the source is, BUT they have a relative that is in architecture in Minot that has done some structural planning and more for the city and school district. They apparently said that they ran into nothing but roadblocks with both the city and school district and eventually just gave up on working with them. But who knows how reliable that information is.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 AM

7 posts, read 19,690 times
Sports opportunities are excellent in Williston. Your son might even have a chance to play in the Babe Ruth World Series which Williston will be hosting in both 2013 and 2016. It'll depend on his skills of course as well as his age. I believe the age group Williston is hosting is the 13 year old class. As a result of the tournament, they're committed to spending $100,000 to renovate the current stadium, which is already a pretty nice facility.

Track, baseball, wrestling & football are all sports offered through the school district. Soccer, baseball & wrestling are also offered as club sports.

The hockey facility at the fairgrounds in Williston is exceptional. There are 2 Olympic size rinks in the state of North Dakota, the other one is The Ralph Englestad Arena in Grand Forks.

Basketball is a big sport in the area too. Williston's High School Field House is named for Phil Jackson (yes, the one who coached Michael Jordan as well as Kobe). Phil played his high school basketball in Williston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston