U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 PM

411 posts, read 678,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Here's the thing about the pay--you'll end up blowing much of it on your cost of living or you'll have a lower quality of life than what you may have been previously accustomed to. Mediocre apartments run for $2000/month there if you can find one, which is a big if. When I visited the Williston Walmart, it looked like its prices were higher than that of other Walmarts, so the cost for goods and services in general might be higher. Also, much of the talk about people earning large amounts of money includes long hours and overtime pay as opposed to a high wage at 40 hours/week.

If you consider the cost of a $2000/month apartment, that $15/hour working fast food (and after income taxes) is liable to be less than $10/hour in an area with comparable $600/month apartments. Heck, it's less than getting $8/hour.
176 hours/month * $15/hour = $2657
$2657 - $2000 = $657 left over ignoring taxes

176 hours/month * $10/hour = $1760
$1760 - $600 = $1170 left over ignoring taxes (tax rate should be lower on that income than at $15/hour).

176 hours/month * $8/hour = $1408
$1408 - $600 = $808 left over ignoring taxes (tax rate should be much lower than income at $15/hour).
(Of course, food and other stuff are also liable to cost more in the oil rush areas.)
Unless you plan to sleep in a car, truck, or trailer at the Walmart parking lot (in -20 degree weather), you really need to have a high-paying oil-field job to make it worthwhile and you probably need to be prepared to do hard physical labor outdoors in often freezing cold weather and for 60+ hours/week. (I suspect that most of the guys working in the oil fields are working very hard and earning their money.)

I don't think it's the golden utopia nor as easy to do as the sensationalized national news coverage makes it out to be. It's great for the people who are cut out for it and who can make the necessary sacrifices--particularly for those people who can figure out a way to live in their RV and avoid much of the housing mess and expense. It's good if you are qualified to work an in-demand skilled trade. It's probably not so good for most females or the forty-something laid-off middle manager who desperately needs a job (and who is too old and who isn't in the physical condition needed to work an oil field job).

With high cost of living, I wouldn't consider a job in Williston area for less than $20 an hour. I think it would be hard to make it for less and the idea is to make a ton of money there not just exist.

Jasper Hobbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 PM

581 posts, read 1,569,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I saw an editorial on TV last night about your town. Is there really that much work? Is it limited to a certain type of work? And that great of pay? $15 at a taco stand!!?? Any more places to stay come up yet?
Can anyone tell me about the weather overall. Is it really that cold & snowy in the winter? Thanks in advance
Search this forum. These questions have been asked and answered 100 times.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM

325 posts, read 561,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
With high cost of living, I wouldn't consider a job in Williston area for less than $20 an hour. I think it would be hard to make it for less and the idea is to make a ton of money there not just exist.

Jasper Hobbs

And even with that, I wouldn't consider it unless you were working a lot of overtime or you simply had no other options.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,316 times
Question Seriously considering the move

Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
And even with that, I wouldn't consider it unless you were working a lot of overtime or you simply had no other options.
Me and my family (husband and 2 1/2 yr old son) live in Atlanta Georgia. My husband is an electrician and I am in sales and Event Directing. We are upside down on our mortgage and other bills because of the economy and are still trying to get out of this hole we have found ourselves in. We also saw the show last night about Williston and were seriously considering this move to better our lives for our family. Here's my question:

1. Is there less expensive housing outside of Williston? We are willing to commute an hour or more if need be.
2. Are there jobs there outside of the oil fields and construction? I don't think my husband, an electrician, would have a problem finding a job, but more concerned about myself finding one.
3. What is the cost of day care for one child?

I'm not concerned about the weather, I grew up in Oregon, but I do realize we may pay more a year for vehicle maintenance, snow tires, etc. Overall this sounds like an amazing journey for my family to take, just to better our lives and overall finances right now. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,238,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmove1019 View Post
Me and my family (husband and 2 1/2 yr old son) live in Atlanta Georgia. My husband is an electrician and I am in sales and Event Directing. We are upside down on our mortgage and other bills because of the economy and are still trying to get out of this hole we have found ourselves in. We also saw the show last night about Williston and were seriously considering this move to better our lives for our family. Here's my question:

1. Is there less expensive housing outside of Williston? We are willing to commute an hour or more if need be.
Basically anything within a couple hours of Williston has become MUCH more expensive. You may be able to find something a little cheaper, but not much.

Quote:
2. Are there jobs there outside of the oil fields and construction? I don't think my husband, an electrician, would have a problem finding a job, but more concerned about myself finding one.
Yep! I work for a state agency. I don't make great money and it's not a benefitted position, but it gets me out of the house and I have a LOT of flexibility which is what I wanted. There are a lot of different types of jobs open up here.

Quote:
It can be hard to even find child care. My daughter is in the after school program but when Christmas and summer break come along I have no idea what I'm going to do. I can bring her in with me, but I don't want to do that for the entire summer or Christmas break.

This last summer I paid $125/week (not bad), but I have a friend who found some places were asking as much as $5/hr per kid ($225/week if you work 8-5).

Quote:
I'm not concerned about the weather, I grew up in Oregon, but I do realize we may pay more a year for vehicle maintenance, snow tires, etc. Overall this sounds like an amazing journey for my family to take, just to better our lives and overall finances right now. Any suggestions would be very helpful!
Good luck if you decide to make the leap. You guys will have an easier time buying than renting up here. I would recommend having your husband come up here first, that's what a lot of families do. We even did this, my husband was up here for a couple months before we joined him.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,192,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakthetruth View Post

Make the right choice and DON'T move to Williston, North Dakota.

Moving there is better than being unemployed somewhere else.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 AM

649 posts, read 884,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmove1019 View Post

Electricians are in demand throughout the state. Check Job Service North Dakota site for Dickinson, Minot, Bismarck, Fargo and Grand Forks. Your job skills will be harder to match.

Housing is very difficult to gain in Williston, difficult in Dickinson and Minot. Minot has a huge job demand because of reconstruction after a summer flood, as well as oil jobs.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,316 times
Thank you for the information! We are still in serious consideration, but are hesitant to make the move until after winter!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,462,662 times
BTW its not 35$/hr its more like 14$/hr so in reality most really are better off at 8.50$/hr at an easy job in SO cal. Only highly experienced or skilled workers are getting 35$. Of course there is the OT but that means you have to work it lol.

The big thing is the allure of promotion and moving up the company ladder, which might be a good gamble for some but not if you have to live in a dirty camp with other dudes or in a tent in teh dead of winter.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 PM

84 posts, read 118,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakthetruth View Post
For all of you with concerns about moving to Williston, I'd rather make $8.50 an hour at the local McDonalds than relocate to that cesspool. Yes there is a boom going on and yes you can make $35 an hour but it isn't work the trouble that Williston offers.

10 REASONS WHY NOT TO RELOCATE TO WILLISTON

1. It's dirty. When you have no history with a city why keep it clean? There is trash everywhere. Just walking down the street you'll see a plethora of beer cans and fast food containers. THIS ISN'T SOMETHING COMMON FOR NORTH DAKOTA WHICH IS A CLEAN STATE.

2. Traffic. The infrastructure was not designed to host this amount of people. The roads are horrible, traffic is horrendous and many do not know how to drive in the winter.

3. Everywhere is busy. Whether you want to grab McDonalds or Applebees for dinner, expect a wait. Not just a usual wait, but a long wait. Families can't even enjoy a nice night out because it's packed with oil field workers and truck drivers.

4. Speaking of busy, don't even attempt to go to Wal-Mart at a decent hour. You have been warned, WAL-MART IS ALWAYS BUSY. Not only is it busy, they can't keep anything on the shelves. Expect to find nothing on your list. Lines at Wal-Mart can be 10-15 people deep and there are usually a maximum of 6 checkout lanes open.

5. Pride. Apparently just because you work at a rough and tough job that means you don't need to take any pride in your appearance. You will see numerous people showing up to restaurants and stores with dirty fingernails, clothes, workboots, dirt on their faces, etc. It's disgusting.

6. Local hangouts. Good luck finding somewhere to hang out. The men seem to hangout at the Strip Club and have no problem spending their hard earned income they can't make anywhere else on some ugly, disgusting women.

7. Housing. There is nowhere to live unless you are willing to dish out top dollar for a ****ty apartment or rental unit. If you can't find a place to live there is always RV parks or you can live in a tent at the local parks.

8. Racism. Williston isn't really a diversity hotbed and they often have trouble accepting anyone who doesn't share their Scandinavian roots. There are numerous cars/trucks driving around town with Confederate Flags. Apparently Williston didn't get the memo that it's 2011.

9. Hot windy summers and long (8 months), cold winters. You may think you know cold but you don't know what -30 feels like with a blistering wind. If you can't handle the cold for long periods of time this place is for sure not for you.

10. Out of the biggest North Dakota cities (5,000 +), Williston ranks last for healthcare, living expenses, recreation, and diversity.

Make the right choice and DON'T move to Williston, North Dakota.
I can't help myself but to weigh in on this one but I will try and remain civilized with clean nails and combed hair.

First let me apologize for anything my Scanadivan like neighbors may have done or said to make you angry.

Now I don't know for sure why you're there but you can always leave. The road is viable to handle the outbound traffic as well as the inbound.

Yes, dis-organization was the flavor of the month (2 years) when I was there 30 years ago and that goes with the terrority of being a Boom Town especially in oil.

I'm really surprised to hear that Williston has a strip club. The city fathers wouldn't hear of it back in the first boom. Somebody is getting a little kickback perhaps. Huummm??

Perhaps Indianapolis or Columbus would suit you better? Best of luck in whatever you do and wherever you may go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston