U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM

231 posts, read 741,763 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter too much what they say they start you out at, you will make money if you find work as a floorhand. Between all the pay increases, overtime, safety pay, bottom hole pay, bonuses, etc. you will make enough money. I know a guy who has worked floorhand for two years and paid taxes on 120K last year. He has just moved onto another position which pays less, but gets him out of some of the brutal weather.

Do a google search for the Williston shopper, and then look at the help wanted ads, there will be tons of places to apply. Then actually go there and apply.

Or you could take the two week floorhand course at Williston State College and have your pick of employers at the conclusion, when they all show up to interview you at once.

$200K is a bit much for water truck drivers. I'm hearing between 80-100K for those who aren't Owner/operators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,543,405 times
No wonder oil is so high.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM

581 posts, read 1,994,308 times
$200K as a water hauler......NO WAY. They get paid like all the rest of the truck drivers in the basin. $75-$125K depending on who you work for. Owner Ops might make $200K but that ain't much if you have to pay for fuel, tires, insurance, break downs, relief driver, get my drift. Love the rumor mill in this oilpatch.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM

477 posts, read 1,329,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
No wonder oil is so high.
Yeah it's interesting anyways, I think I have heard the cost to drill a well here in the Bakken is around $7 million.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,543,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Yeah it's interesting anyways, I think I have heard the cost to drill a well here in the Bakken is around $7 million.
7 million is peanuts compared to what billions the oil company will earn over time. Its obvious the days of inexpensive oil are gone forever. Thats too bad for the consumers esp the ones who drive gas guzzlers like me (approx 13/18).

Old 08-30-2011, 02:13 AM

17 posts, read 88,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcelizabeth View Post
My hubby is on the fracking side of the oiling process in Williston and surrounding well sites. His job is NOT the most intense and laboring out there, so I don't know if this even relates to the info. you're looking for. There are many contractors for all the different phases of the process and each pays differently. I can only tell you what my husband's company pays and what his schedule is like....

2wks on/1wk off. Overtime is 1.5 and starts after 40hrs. Depending on the week they usually have 100-110 hrs. each wk. The wk. off they get paid for a straight 40hrs ($640 gross) to help compensate with the traveling costs. There are mancamps which provide housing and food and are not bad, again depending on the company. Per diem is $20-$50/day depending on the location and company you work for (if food is not provided). Pay is $16/hr with CDL (which you NEED a permit to get hired, but don't have to have the license until later and you would have to pay for your own school going this route. However, if going thru an agency then the company usually sends you to school and pays for your education) and it's $16.50/hr for having your Hazmat license. This is the initial pay until you become a supervisor, which can take approx. 1 yr. depending on your work ethic and supervisors that recommend you. Supers make around $25/hr. Even though it's not great hourly wages, there's so much OT that hubby makes about 83k annually (gross). All benefits are great and you are only providing housing/food for 1wk. every 3wks. so the actual wages are much higher. The company also pays/provides crew vehicles to send you back to your 'home.' So you can live in different states where other crews go or if no crew is in your home area, then you provide your own expenses to fly/drive.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Grcelizabeth,

So you husband is making 16 per hour and paid straight 40 for the week off..correct? Then that would make on average of 100 hours per work week at 1.5 OT- 1440 plus 1st 40 of 640 for a total of 2080 for that week. Then 2 weeks w/OT = 4160, plus 640 for week off = 4800 per 3 weeks. There is roughl 17- 3 week periods per year = 81600 per year not including per diems and other certifications that would increase your yearly pay----not bad for an entry job.

Which companies are noted the best to work for- Halliburton, BakerHughes, Weatherfor etc ?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM

231 posts, read 741,763 times
The main guy at Halliburton was on Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC on Aug. 24th. They are hiring tons of people at entry level jobs right now everywhere in the oilfield. He said in about a year and half, with recommendations, those people can make supervisor and be earning over 125K a year. So anyone who is willing to work can be making 125-130K a year, within two years. Want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth?

Haliburton's Brown Talks to Cramer - CNBC

Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 PM

477 posts, read 1,329,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
7 million is peanuts compared to what billions the oil company will earn over time. Its obvious the days of inexpensive oil are gone forever. Thats too bad for the consumers esp the ones who drive gas guzzlers like me (approx 13/18).

LOl, umm ya I know it very well. I still drive an 89 Bronco mostly all the time, I have newer car, but still love my B.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 PM

21 posts, read 101,786 times
My buddy works on a work over rig and the start pay is $24 a hr. He works 10 days on 5 days off. Its a 24hr rig so for everyday he shows up he gets $100 per diem on top of his $24 and hr for 16 hours a day. He also lives in a man camp which he doesn't prefer but it is free.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,643,533 times
What is the housing situation like? Is everyone who wants to work in the oil patch able to find housing? What would the compensation be like for an oil field job that made use of or required a college education (say, a lab tech or a chemist)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston