U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,451 times

Advertisements

I have an operational engineering (PE Mechanical Engineering) and finance background (Capital project underwriter, Real Estate Broker (licensed) and Mortgage Loan Officer (MLO licensed)), US Naval Engineering Officer and Engineering Maintenance Officer of a 1200lb steam propulsion plant and auxiliary equipment, Utility Company planning and Banking for energy projects and a real estate background. My utility company experience includes natural gas pipelines and power generation (gas turbine planning) and some but limited oil experience (also in bank project underwriting have experience with gas (cogeneration) and separate coal power production. I am looking for productive employment related to upstream oil development and desire to make good use of the talents I have for highest and best income generation possible. What positions might work with good folks in the oil sector in Williston or nearby? I am ready willing and able - can make the move in directed manner in a relatively short period of time. Any recommendations or folks to contact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 PM

98 posts, read 173,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJPlanning View Post
I have an operational engineering (PE Mechanical Engineering) and finance background (Capital project underwriter, Real Estate Broker (licensed) and Mortgage Loan Officer (MLO licensed)), US Naval Engineering Officer and Engineering Maintenance Officer of a 1200lb steam propulsion plant and auxiliary equipment, Utility Company planning and Banking for energy projects and a real estate background. My utility company experience includes natural gas pipelines and power generation (gas turbine planning) and some but limited oil experience (also in bank project underwriting have experience with gas (cogeneration) and separate coal power production. I am looking for productive employment related to upstream oil development and desire to make good use of the talents I have for highest and best income generation possible. What positions might work with good folks in the oil sector in Williston or nearby? I am ready willing and able - can make the move in directed manner in a relatively short period of time. Any recommendations or folks to contact?
I work in the energy business, and frankly you may be bringing too much to the table. It's rare that I would tell anybody that, but you seem to have too much experience in too many areas and that may be making it difficult for recruiters to "classify" you when you are seeking employment.

If you have experience with natural gas, I would suggest looking at some of trade industry web sites and contacting some of the recruiters and contracting agencies on there; if you have solid coal experience, I would suggest reviewing the mining industry trade sites and contacting the recruiters and contract outfits that are members of them.

I have limited real estate experience myself, but I'm not certain where real estate experience or the mortgage experience would be of much use in North Dakota unless they were experience in that market. Perhaps you may wish to "downplay" that in this soft real estate economy (unless, of course, you obtain a North Dakota realtors license)

Frankly, your technical skills will likely be the heaviest in demand in the area and perhaps you might consider emphasizes them in the resumes that send to recruiters and that you advertise online. If you are really experienced with steam and can do "hands-on" repair work,I can't see why you wouldn't be able to obtain employment within days of arriving in North Dakota.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 PM

14,341 posts, read 16,149,120 times
There are several threads that list some great leads. Best to just start going thru, anything that mentions wages, jobs, faq's, Mnay folks have been updating these leads daily. I would suggest that you look for posts dated in last week, I did see several as recent as yesterday w/ links and contact names.
You may want to check out the "Talkin the Bakken" thread, which is a link to Williston Herald newspaper, special section. That has lots of ads, business info re: several of the companies doing business in area. You have extremely impressive looking quals. No doubt you could get a decent position. Search the threads...take notes, make calls. Hold out for housing....or spring..Good luck.....

Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM

91 posts, read 264,913 times
You won't get hired right now. I work for Precision Drilling, and a company that once hired Entry Level is now looking for 1+ years of experience due to the large number of people moving to ND. Take my word on that, find other work when you get there, don't plan on getting on a rig because you won't. I'm not trying to discourage you, but people really need to research more before quitting their jobs and moving here and getting their hopes up. Its so common, and I see people applying in the Precision office everyday, needless to say about 1 in 1000 will get a call back.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,069 times
I just visited Williston last week to look for work while I stayed with family. I visited every outfit and talked with the owners since my family has ties to the community. Here's the skinny: If you want to work on an oil rig with no experience, you will start at $22/hr and after they know you will stick you will get bumped to $24.50. You will work 12-16 hour days with the following schedule: 5 on 2 off; 10 on 5 off; 14 on 7 off. Tons of overtime and in your first year you will make $105,000-115,000. Nabors Drilling is the company I spoke to. Make sure to watch YouTube and spend some time getting familiar with the jobs, hours, pros & cons etc. Other companies (casing, wireline, etc.) will pay about $18 to start and $24 after a few months. You may or may not get as much overtime depending on which comapany, but most companies other than a rig will pay you around $70-90k your first year. I am only estimating, due to different amounts of overtime. You make your money on overtime and quarterly bonuses for finishing jobs quickly. Hope some of this helps.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM

477 posts, read 1,330,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDayz View Post
I just visited Williston last week to look for work while I stayed with family. I visited every outfit and talked with the owners since my family has ties to the community. Here's the skinny: If you want to work on an oil rig with no experience, you will start at $22/hr and after they know you will stick you will get bumped to $24.50. You will work 12-16 hour days with the following schedule: 5 on 2 off; 10 on 5 off; 14 on 7 off. Tons of overtime and in your first year you will make $105,000-115,000. Nabors Drilling is the company I spoke to. Make sure to watch YouTube and spend some time getting familiar with the jobs, hours, pros & cons etc. Other companies (casing, wireline, etc.) will pay about $18 to start and $24 after a few months. You may or may not get as much overtime depending on which comapany, but most companies other than a rig will pay you around $70-90k your first year. I am only estimating, due to different amounts of overtime. You make your money on overtime and quarterly bonuses for finishing jobs quickly. Hope some of this helps.
Most schedules on Nabors is 7 days on and 7 days off with 12 hour shifts. Plus you have to sign a contract and stick with them for six months after they put you through the training and if you don't, you will be paying them for the training if you leave. I talked with a guy at a gas station who was looking for work on rigs and had been up here for 3 weeks and had not got a job yet. They are still only wanting to hire people with a year's experience on them. However, I am sure some might get on to train if you get lucky or know the right contact.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM

870 posts, read 1,144,020 times
is it easier to find a job if you are in ND instead of distance at least?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM

98 posts, read 296,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
is it easier to find a job if you are in ND instead of distance at least?
Im guessing yes but I would also like to know the answer to this.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,089 times
I live in Georgia but i want a oil rig job in north Dakota. What is the best way to line up a job with housing. So i have a job and a place to stay when i fly up.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,453,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissmcrae View Post
I live in Georgia but i want a oil rig job in north Dakota. What is the best way to line up a job with housing. So i have a job and a place to stay when i fly up.
I am assuming that you have lived in GA for most of your life. Unless you have rig experience, it will be difficult to get a job, particularly if you have never lived in a northern climate before. I would recommend you go to the Eagle Ford play in Texas as they are still interested in inexperienced people and have a climate you are accustomed to.

The days of getting a job because you breathe air are gone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston