Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times

Advertisements

My husband got some advice from some of his work buddies about going to North Dakota to work in oil fields. He is now interested. I have been researching this and have seen in media about Halliburton hiring mass but don't see too much on hiring process. Do you just show up? What is the applying process? We are in Minnesota and I think is not too far my husband is willing to go there and apply but we need some advice on doing it. If anyone can answer my question I'd so greatly apprecita it:

1. What are names of other companies besides Halliburton?

2. What are requirements for unskilled/No experience?

3. What are the housing arrangements and is it possible to find housing as a family?

4. Are there any temp agencys dooing the hiring for these comapnies? Work services or anything?

5. Of all comapnies, reference to #1, which is best on hiring unexperienced and good pay. One that stands out better than others?

Thanks so much to anyone with input, again my original question being what is best protocal for applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM

73 posts, read 158,396 times
Go to the ND Employment Office Link...that would be a very good place to start. Housing is going to be a challenge though.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks for reply. I looked there and saw a job fair but it already for this week. I will keep my eyes open there. Thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
My husband got some advice from some of his work buddies about going to North Dakota to work in oil fields. He is now interested. I have been researching this and have seen in media about Halliburton hiring mass but don't see too much on hiring process. Do you just show up? What is the applying process? We are in Minnesota and I think is not too far my husband is willing to go there and apply but we need some advice on doing it. If anyone can answer my question I'd so greatly apprecita it:

1. What are names of other companies besides Halliburton?
Schlumberger, Pioneer, Oasis, Baker Hughes, QUail Tools, CSI Inspection, Thomas Tools, the list goes on and on. There are a TON of companies up here.

Quote:
2. What are requirements for unskilled/No experience?
Depends on what you're looking for. My own husband got a job doing wireline with no actual physical job experience prior. That was over 4 years ago, he's now a tool hand w/Baker. There are plenty of jobs even if you have no experience, it really just depends on how hard you're willing to work.

Quote:
3. What are the housing arrangements and is it possible to find housing as a family?
Depends on the company. I know that sometimes Halliburton will allow you to bring family, but for the most part due to the housing shortage most companies have really started restricting housing to employees only. Finding housing for a family is close to impossible for a reasonable price. If you're willing to spend a lot of money, though, you can find a place eventually.

Quote:
4. Are there any temp agencys dooing the hiring for these comapnies? Work services or anything?
SOS Staffing has an office in Williston, I actually used to work in their office. At most times we had a minimum of 80 open positions. They hired all oil field related positions, including for Schlumberger, pay was between $12-$15/hr and averaging at least 60 hrs per week if not more. Pay may have been increased since then, I have no idea.

Quote:
5. Of all comapnies, reference to #1, which is best on hiring unexperienced and good pay. One that stands out better than others?
Honestly... none. Each has their benefits and their downfalls. My husband was with Schlumberger for a long time before leaving, it was a good launching pad for his career, but not everyone agrees to that.

Quote:
Thanks so much to anyone with input, again my original question being what is best protocal for applying.
I would check The Shopper (The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!) as well. I know Cal Frac is also hiring right now too. Forgot them.

Applying is different with each company, however it does take time. The biggest thing, I think, is that they NEED to know that you are serious about coming here. If your husband can make a short week long trip up here that might help. He can spend that week interviewing, have him try and apply online as much as possible. Then he can come home while they run background checks, drug screens, etc. BEFORE he leaves, if he needs to take a drug screen make sure he gets it done. It varies company by company but some of them are only set up to do drug screens here.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM

lisan23, thanks so much. I just went to The Shopper and was amazed at how many jobs are there, even non oil related. The pay for basic jobs too seems good. Of course saw the disappointment in rentals. Do you live there? Well the important first step would be my husband getting job there. I will look into those companies, thanks. It seems he will have to go there to apply, it seems best. It seems a lot ask for CDL my husband is gonna be studying for permit for that, is that normal to have it before applying?

Thanks so much for all your input.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 AM

I do live here, my husband signed onto a lease before one of his co-workers moved from the apartment so we could get into it. Once here it's easier to network and find places, but even then finding a place for a family is not easy.

If he gets his CDL permit I know Schlumberger would seriously consider him, they will even put him through driving training/school in order for him to get his full blown CDL, and he will be working the entire time. I'm sure several other companies have similar setups, but having his permit will definitely help him out.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM

He decided to definetely get permit first. He going to be taking a weekend course for it and study on own as much as he can too. Thanks, I think is better to have something too. Ya, I understand the way housing is I use to live in a fishing island in Alaska and is somewhat simliar in that it is a booming(or was) fishing town and housing is so scarce. I use to hunt people down if I knew they were gonna move to grab thier place, lol....So may be the same way ha? I also saw people live in other places around there but still seems pretty far.....

Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Schlumberger, Pioneer, Oasis, Baker Hughes, QUail Tools, CSI Inspection, Thomas Tools, the list goes on and on. There are a TON of companies up here.

Depends on what you're looking for. My own husband got a job doing wireline with no actual physical job experience prior. That was over 4 years ago, he's now a tool hand w/Baker. There are plenty of jobs even if you have no experience, it really just depends on how hard you're willing to work.

Depends on the company. I know that sometimes Halliburton will allow you to bring family, but for the most part due to the housing shortage most companies have really started restricting housing to employees only. Finding housing for a family is close to impossible for a reasonable price. If you're willing to spend a lot of money, though, you can find a place eventually.

SOS Staffing has an office in Williston, I actually used to work in their office. At most times we had a minimum of 80 open positions. They hired all oil field related positions, including for Schlumberger, pay was between $12-$15/hr and averaging at least 60 hrs per week if not more. Pay may have been increased since then, I have no idea.

Honestly... none. Each has their benefits and their downfalls. My husband was with Schlumberger for a long time before leaving, it was a good launching pad for his career, but not everyone agrees to that.

I would check The Shopper (The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!) as well. I know Cal Frac is also hiring right now too. Forgot them.

Applying is different with each company, however it does take time. The biggest thing, I think, is that they NEED to know that you are serious about coming here. If your husband can make a short week long trip up here that might help. He can spend that week interviewing, have him try and apply online as much as possible. Then he can come home while they run background checks, drug screens, etc. BEFORE he leaves, if he needs to take a drug screen make sure he gets it done. It varies company by company but some of them are only set up to do drug screens here.

What about BAD CREDIT?? You know that most of these background checks include credit and if you have past due debt you get disqualified automatically.

Is it really that easy?? Just sign up with a staffing agency and you can get a job like that ?? I am 5'6" & 140LBS but on the wrong side of 30 (older than that age) which seems to lead to alot of 'soft discrimination'

Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
What about BAD CREDIT?? You know that most of these background checks include credit and if you have past due debt you get disqualified automatically.

Is it really that easy?? Just sign up with a staffing agency and you can get a job like that ?? I am 5'6" & 140LBS but on the wrong side of 30 (older than that age) which seems to lead to alot of 'soft discrimination'
They don't do credit checks for most positions. Bad credit doesn't matter unless you're applying for a position in which you'll be handling money on a regular basis. A lot of the people up here do not have good credit because of the recession (many have been laid off and without work for quite awhile). Most of these background checks DO NOT include your credit and even if they did, they must not care about past due debt because a lot of people who have been in really crappy financial positions have gotten work up here.

Yes, it really is that easy. That being said, I have seen some "soft discrimination" against those who are older. It bothers me and it bothered me when I worked at the staffing agency because I was able to personally hire some older workers that turned out to be great employees. Try hard and have a GOOD attitude and you'll find work up here though. But you kind of come off as not believing and not really wanting to find a job up here (your comment about credit scores and then your comments about your age seem like excuses to me). Change your attitude and you'll find something.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM

81 posts, read 202,751 times
Im going to be in williston on sep 23. I have a felony that is non violent and not drug related, happened 4 years ago. How difficult will it be to get an oil job with that. Are there felons working in the oil field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston