Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I think your best bet would be to show up in person at some of the restaurants in town. Gramma Sharons would be a good one to check out. I know that on several occasions they actually had to close because of a lack of help.

Applebees is another good one along with Pizza Hut. I've eaten at Applebees several times and it was standing room only for dinner.

Thanks HighPlanDrifter, I will stop an dapply at these places. I like to waitress at mom and pop restaurants as they seem more personal . If the restaurants are standing room only that is a very good sign to make good money in tips. I use to work at a small restaurant like that and made a lot of money. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 AM

325 posts, read 863,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Thanks HighPlanDrifter, I will stop an dapply at these places. I like to waitress at mom and pop restaurants as they seem more personal . If the restaurants are standing room only that is a very good sign to make good money in tips. I use to work at a small restaurant like that and made a lot of money. Thanks again.
I would think in a boom town tips would be the only way to measure this kind of job. I know its not just a blue collar town, but Seattle during its last "boom era" just a few years ago had bartenders making over six figures and waiters/waitresses making 60-70 grand a year in the higher end restaurants.

Even in Olympia, the state capitol, which is far more blue collar and the average income far less than Seattle, waitresses did pretty well.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM

231 posts, read 873,113 times
My niece is a bartender in Williston a few nights a week. $500 a night is not uncommon.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM

325 posts, read 863,229 times
Maybe I should do that. 5 nights a week and that is not a bad gig. Maybe talk one of the oil companies into creating a military style base, in the sense that it is completely self-contained (including bar) and open a bar.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
I would think in a boom town tips would be the only way to measure this kind of job. I know its not just a blue collar town, but Seattle during its last "boom era" just a few years ago had bartenders making over six figures and waiters/waitresses making 60-70 grand a year in the higher end restaurants.

Even in Olympia, the state capitol, which is far more blue collar and the average income far less than Seattle, waitresses did pretty well.
Ya I did this in Alaska and the tips were very good. It was not uncommon to get hundred dollar bills as a tip, that is why they made a t-shirt that said the Dutch Harbor dollar and it was a hundred, lol....Howver when it started going down the hundred turned back to the regular dollar.....

What I like about working in busy restaurants or bars though is the people you meet they come from everywhere, and time flies so it feels like you aren't working, lol.....

Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
A pizza delivery driver could also do well, however they would have to dodge all the big trucks. Heard a lot more accidents have been happening with the trucks lately. It could get really crazy with ice and snow on the roads and lots of people from out of state that have never driven in it.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM

88 posts, read 220,170 times
Mama,
You should take a look at the jobsnd.com site. Mercy medical has quite a few listings, there are also listings that are asking for an RN's who can travel around the area.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
A lot of people have been looking into the medical professions in the area as well. Williston has had an exponential increase in medical calls in 2011 compared to last year.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
there really aren't jobs in eastern n.d. minimum wage,

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
yep, read an article re: Mercy hospital there, short 101 employees. Same problem, no housing. One poster wrote yesterday that her rent is doubling to 2000 on 1st, w/ 2000 deposit required immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston