U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM

5,156 posts, read 2,028,458 times

Advertisements

There is going to be initial prejudice against a woman in an oil field job. Not because she is a woman, but what men have heard from women in their life is complaining about it being too hot, too cold, I'm tired, I have a headache etc. Show up for work, expect to do everything them men do without asking for help/consideration cause "I'm a women". But if you can do the job as well as a man, my guess is they will welcome you. However, they have a saying in ND. "40 below wind chill keeps the riff-raff out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM

5,087 posts, read 3,438,421 times
Looks like the strippers are doin' pretty good around there - up to $2,000/night:

America's Boomtown: Strippers can make $3,000 a night - Oct. 25, 2011

Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
dzy

13 posts, read 79,031 times
Not interested in stripping. I think the disinterest might be mutual. I am however highly technically qualified. Previous position was mgr, engineering systems for a fortune 100 co, but have done plenty of manual labor too, as well as being a top-tier precision/prototype machinist. Accustomed to making more than 100k annually, I'm not planning on settling for "women's work". Not looking for trouble, just want to work hard and get paid.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 16,266 times
Default Strippers? Why not have equal opportunities?

Thank you all for the plethora of information on North Dakota. I think I have secured a position in my current field of construction management in the area. I do have a thought to share for a comment I read regarding employment in Williston, ND from a source you can read which made regardes to "Strippers" as a career for woman!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM
dzy

Congrats Crow79! Looks like it took 3 days? That is great news!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Hey DZY,

Look in the housing industry for future employment opportunities. If the oil field isn't for ladies then housing is, right? They are in a housing crunch and I would think that is the next if not the first market to tap on.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Why stripping?! When a man is looking for advice for employment the first thing I know is not to ask him to take his clothes off. Just curious, is that the first train of thought when a woman wants to find a secure and lucrative way to earn money to support her family? We are in 2011, right?....

Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,973,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow79 View Post
Why stripping?! When a man is looking for advice for employment the first thing I know is not to ask him to take his clothes off. Just curious, is that the first train of thought when a woman wants to find a secure and lucrative way to earn money to support her family? We are in 2011, right?....
Hey, don't take offense. If the ladies were willing to pay me $3000 a night the full Monty it would be. Unfortunately I think the local women would probably be more willing to pay $3000 just so I keep my clothes own, but I'm just saying..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 PM
dzy

@crow79 - Do the construction industry jobs pay 100k +? If so, then I'm qualified. I've single-handedly re-wired, re-plumbed, re-reroofed several historic era homes in So. Cal. Not as much framing, but I know the building codes. Finish carpentry too....But are the salaries as good? My understanding is that it is the o.t. in the oilfields that bumps up the salaries. As much o.t. in construction?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM

325 posts, read 562,155 times
When I worked in contruction during the boom/bubble, I got all the overtime hours I wanted. I basically worked 7/16's until they made me take one day a week off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston