Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:08 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzy View Post
I'm female and planning to go to Williston for work in the fields so I find the information in these postings very disappointing. I will hide my gender on my resume and find a way to alter my voice for the phone interview. I will do whatever it takes.
well if you must disguise your voice use SpoofCard.com, Lol......

I think if a woman is very qualified and determined she will get a job. May be harder than men but will get it. I mean companies are aware they can get in trouble for that they may try to get around it, but cannot get around not hiring someone who is very qualified and hiring a male who is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
well if you must disguise your voice use SpoofCard.com, Lol......

I think if a woman is very qualified and determined she will get a job. May be harder than men but will get it. I mean companies are aware they can get in trouble for that they may try to get around it, but cannot get around not hiring someone who is very qualified and hiring a male who is not.
Well, depends. If she is competing against a man who was also 110 lbs then I would agree. If applying for a physical labor job and the guy with no experience is 200 lbs of muscle then I can tell you who will get the job and their is nothing a lawyer will be able to do about it. I guess it all depends on the job in question.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Well, depends. If she is competing against a man who was also 110 lbs then I would agree. If applying for a physical labor job and the guy with no experience is 200 lbs of muscle then I can tell you who will get the job and their is nothing a lawyer will be able to do about it. I guess it all depends on the job in question.
I am sure a company would use any excusel, it makes it easy for them cuz is not like a person is in thier office to see the hiring. But it can be done. I saw in Alaska many men dominated jobs where there were a few women doing what they did even smallish ones whom you wouldn't think. I know a girl crab fisherwoman who is very petite but very tough and determined. She said she got her 1st job being aggressive and ambitious but she did put up with a lot of tormenting from the crew. So it can be done, as a woman I just have to believe that, LOL.....

Last edited by laina1980; 10-29-2011 at 01:17 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
No reason why a woman can't do a truck driving job up there. After all, plenty drive 18 wheelers everywhere else.

Same for welding & tech jobs.

Rosie the Roughneck might be a different story though just because of the bulk strength difference for most.

BTW - Ladies, please don't take offense at the "stripper" link I posted above - it was in jest. But those women do have the right to take advantage of the boom too.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Lol, I never take offense to stripper suggestions, I see it like only some can actuaqlly do it and what I mean is in good way, have the guts to let thier inhibitions down. I use to be a taxi driver in Alaska and in a way was taking advantage of the situation. There was a saying there "the Dutch Harbor dollar" the dollar being a hungred dollar bill,lol..They tried to do the strip club thing but didn't work for some reason......

But 2,000 to 3,000 a night, plus the media attention. If I were a stripper I would be there already......

Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Lol, I never take offense to stripper suggestions, I see it like only some can actuaqlly do it and what I mean is in good way, have the guts to let thier inhibitions down. I use to be a taxi driver in Alaska and in a way was taking advantage of the situation. There was a saying there "the Dutch Harbor dollar" the dollar being a hungred dollar bill,lol..They tried to do the strip club thing but didn't work for some reason......

But 2,000 to 3,000 a night, plus the media attention. If I were a stripper I would be there already......
Before I was born, my Dad was stationed at Fort Richardson. He & Mom built a tiny house in Anchorage, where my middle brother was born in 1941. The family had to move back stateside after Pearl Harbor, and Dad wound up fighting in the Aleutian campaign (Attu, Kiska, Adak & others) through 1943 - he lived in a tent out in the snowfields for 7 months without a bath.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 36,394 times
As long as you can lift up to 100lbs steadily dont see why not. There are alot of warehouses for the oil industry with 2 weeks on 1 off starting at 14 thats around 60000 1st year with overtime.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 36,394 times
Previous post. that is based on 12 to 13 hour days with Halliburton.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Before I was born, my Dad was stationed at Fort Richardson. He & Mom built a tiny house in Anchorage, where my middle brother was born in 1941. The family had to move back stateside after Pearl Harbor, and Dad wound up fighting in the Aleutian campaign (Attu, Kiska, Adak & others) through 1943 - he lived in a tent out in the snowfields for 7 months without a bath.
Wow 7 months, and that was probably when the weather was horrible.....The combo islands of Dutch Harbor/Unalaska still have all the bunkers around and every few years the veterans or thier families come over and have ceremony. There is one really nice memorial center too. A couple years ago they converted the war hospital into a haunted house for Halloween and I never knew it was there! It was like so obvious and just didn't pay attention.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM

325 posts, read 863,157 times
I told my family I was going to North Dakota and my sister proceeded to tell her friend who was unemployed but supporting her parents and her own daughter. Based on notes I gleaned from this forum and sent to my sister, her friend took off for North Dakota. Originally she did not have housing and I told my sister she needed to secure that before leaving and she did. Also she rented a car as a backup plan in case it took her more than a few days to find a job and her housing fell through.

At any rate, she arrived in Williston on Tuesday and found a job with an oil company today. $25 an hour, 60-75 hours a week. The company also gave her housing. Waiting to hear the rest of the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston