Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 11,762 times

Advertisements

I'm starting truck driving school on the 30th its an 168 hour course with all the endorsements. I also plan on getting a intro well cap cert as well before I set out after I get my cdl. I would really appreciate any info on how I can get a wireline job. I have military background in telecommunication and computer support. Also I'm not against other positions just wireline is my first choice, I'm a hard worker worked in warehouses before and workout frequently.

thanks alot in advance

a wiredawg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Welcome to the Forum. When on the screen showing all the threads, in the upper right there is a search button. Type in Wireline and you will find about 20 different threads over the last year, discussing wireline jobs, how to get them, where to find them, certs needed, certs not needed, etc...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,075 times
What ElkHunter said.

I will give you a couple tips though, you will only need your class B with some wireline companies. Some of them also offer training to get it. My husband worked as a wireline operator for 4 years with Schlumberger. He went in with his CDL permit and they did the rest. They sent him to a driving school in Oklahoma and he had to log a certain amount of hours with another driver. Once he hit that he tested and got his class B.

Wireline isn't bad, if you're good at it you can still work your way up without getting a degree in engineering. My husband has been offered on more than one occasion a "shooter" position (an engineer without the degree). He may actually got back and take up one of the offers in a few months. He likes doing wireline so we'll see.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Thank you much Elk I found some good reads with the fourm search. And Lisa what do you mean "if your good at it" can u elaborate on that please...... I seen the job apps I looked at and they want someone with computer exp which I have and some one good at math. As for as math I wouldn't say I'm great but I passed college algebra so far. Also could you ask your husband what type of math I should brush up on and what type of math skills are they looking for. I kno this is the same question but I want to be prepared so I would bet I'm going to have to take an math assement test so what type of math could I expect to see?? Thank-you Lisa for the much needed insight

Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,075 times
Yep, my husband worked an office type job before getting into the oilfield so he did know how to use a computer. As far as math, you will use algebra and a little trig (according to him). My husband has never been in college, however he has always been good with numbers. He never took an assessment test and when I hired for Schlumberger wireline (this was a few years ago) they also didn't require an assessment test to get the position. You'll have to get a physical though. I've never really heard of any of the companies making you take a math assessment though. You should be fine.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM

Thanks Lisa I feel a little better. As for an update on me I get my cdl permit on Thursday and graduate on the 28 if all goes well. I'll be heading out the following week so I want to start applying for jobs now. Does anybody know of a few good companies that will hire a driver with a couple of points.? Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston