U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM

55 posts, read 75,291 times
Be safe.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM

689 posts, read 817,137 times
socal, take care be careful driving up. Stay positive and persistent and you will find a great job...

Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM

73 posts, read 125,430 times
If I had an rv or even a suburban I'd bet setup nicely. Unfortunately, I don't so I gotta make do with the passener seat of my car. It's cold out but I can hang.......for now.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
If I had an rv or even a suburban I'd bet setup nicely. Unfortunately, I don't so I gotta make do with the passener seat of my car. It's cold out but I can hang.......for now.
Just be careful and when you have that big paycheck(ok many) you will be able to buy the rv or suv. Just do what you can to stay warm, I know is not advised, but you can turn your heater on occassionally to warm up.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnapperhead View Post
I want to move to North Dakota but dont like cold weather, should I move?
I think what matters more than if you don't like it is if you can adapt in it. If you find yourself pretty adaptable in unfamiliar scenarios you may be able to adapt there. However if you really just don't like cold or get cold easy it may not be good, everyone is different. My mom use to hate cold and had a foot problem when exposed to cold. She still went to AK and overcame her problem cause she was open to it.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,038,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnapperhead View Post
I want to move to North Dakota but dont like cold weather, should I move?
Nope dont move here. I have seen too many people who hate the cold and thought they could adapt and it was just too much. There are those that can adjust and those that cant adjust, if you are one who cant adjust, why bother being miserable.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM

I don't know about adapting. I believe you can work in the elements with the proper gear but living outside in the parking lot is another story. For example, I met a few guys who live in the windy city and they are freezing their tails off. I hear grumbling from a few locals about how they displease their labor jobs and looking for other work. I'm upbeat about things and pondering when I can travel to new locations within the patch that aren't so "well known" to the flawks of people arriving here.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:26 AM

98 posts, read 109,738 times
Quote:
I don't know about adapting. I believe you can work in the elements with the proper gear but living outside in the parking lot is another story. For example, I met a few guys who live in the windy city and they are freezing their tails off. I hear grumbling from a few locals about how they displease their labor jobs and looking for other work. I'm upbeat about things and pondering when I can travel to new locations within the patch that aren't so "well known" to the flawks of people arriving here.
No offense socal, but I believe that you are mistaking an idea for a plan. There are several "major" (read: larger than Williston-sized) cities within traveling distance from the oil fields. Relocating to them first, finding one or more jobs, acclimating yourself to the area and then trying to move to the "oil patch" is a plan. Putting in two weeks notice and driving up to a place where you have no experience is an idea; and not a very well-formed one at that.

Without any local contacts, without detailed knowledge of the area, without substantial savings and without a place to stay, you are simply going to arrive in an area that is ill-equipped to handle your presence and where you yourself will be ill-equipped to succeed. This isn't a "recipe" for success in anyone's book.

Unless you are already up there (and even then) you may wish to simple slow down, find one or more lower-paying jobs in a nearby area (within a 6-hour radius) until you have a sizable amount of money saved. Learn all that you can about the area and the oil business and attempt to locate housing suitable housing before you relocate. That way you'll have a plan that you can change to suit the realities on the ground.

I'm certain that people that care about you have expressed similar concerns and have suggested similar strategies. Perhaps you should heed those concerns, as they are likely based upon years of experience and sound judgment. If you don't think that people who are older than you aren't more experienced in life, then perhaps that's another area where well-formed ideas are lacking.

Not trying to discourage you or disparage you; I have just seen too many people rush into something without planning their moves beforehand. And I have seen almost all of them fail.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,884,464 times
Quote:
I'm leaving my $12.50 retail job in So Cal for an opportunity out in Williston ND. I'm going to be driving my new 2011 car/soon to be called home. I'm a guy in his mid 20s looking to role the dice with no strings attached. If your there now you can see me in the Wal-Mart parking lot either freezing or frozen to death within the next few weeks. Wish me luck!
I wish you the best of luck. Make sure you layer up.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM

I got myself working in a man camp. I have 44 hours of OT with free room and 3 meals a day. Thank you all that were willing to help and have helped me out. I hope whoever is currently gets a job because it was real windy and cold last night. Thanks for everyone who believed in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston