Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM

73 posts, read 202,673 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving my $12.50 retail job in So Cal for an opportunity out in Williston ND. I'm going to be driving my new 2011 car/soon to be called home. I'm a guy in his mid 20s looking to role the dice with no strings attached. If your there now you can see me in the Wal-Mart parking lot either freezing or frozen to death within the next few weeks. Wish me luck!

Last edited by socalsfinest; 10-27-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

979 posts, read 3,663,473 times
socal...seriously, please be careful and make sure you know what you are doing. Make sure you try find housing while you are there...living in a car in North Dakota Fall-Winter is NOT like southern California. Be safe!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
good luck! If I wasn't with 3M, I'd be heading that way too. The climate here is no better then out there, but we don't have the housing shortages. I can't imagine living in my car, maybe a van at the smallest.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 PM

I hope I know what I'm doing. I've been asking myself the same question for the past 2 weeks. If I didn't go, what could of happened? All I know is I'll have quiet a story to tell.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM

454 posts, read 1,240,409 times
Make sure to report here on your progress. We love to hear your story!

Anyways, your biggest issue is going to be dealing with the winter/no housing. Obviously sleeping in your car when its below zero is not going to fly unless you have some plan to stay warm. If I were you what I would do is just find some place that will let you sleep inside where its climate controlled. I know the wal-mart is a 24 hour wal-mart so if its seriously fricken cold you can just go into the wal-mart and figure something out.

Once you find a job it should be easier, you can probably work something out with your employer. Everyone up there knows of the housing issue.

and what retail place pays 12.50/hr for labor? Seems like all the retail places I've seen only pay 8-10/hr and no dependable hours.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 PM

I will keep everyone updated. Supervisor at Best Buy

Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 PM

203 posts, read 601,220 times
Default Williston

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
I will keep everyone updated. Supervisor at Best Buy
Get a studly sleeping bag. Join a gym for showers, activities. You'll get bored in winter.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,156,270 times
On numerous occasions, I've slept in car on a road trip. It's not very pleasant sleeping, but reclining seats can make a big difference. I guess you can let the engine idle all night to keep heat going, but I never did. I would wrap myself up in a couple of warm blankets and then shut the engine off. Inevitably, the cold would wake me up during the night and I would start the car and let it run until the inside got toasty warm. Then shut the engine off. Eventually, morning comes.

I don't know if you would freeze to death without waking up. I think your body wakes you when it gets too cold - kind of like it telling you to do something about the situation.

I would definitely recommend taking a few warm blankets, several layers of clothes and a couple of pillows.
Living like this can get quite boring after a while. You definitely need to find daily activities to keep from going crazy. There's only so many times you'll want to walk around inside Walmart.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 AM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
forget blankets, I would get one of these

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TETON Sports Celsius XL -25-Degree Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag (http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Celsius-25-Degree-Flannel-Sleeping/product-reviews/B001TY3IC8/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1& sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending - broken link)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=259444

Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks guy for the help. I plan on getting a sleeping bag for extreme cold weather and ANYTIME gym is already calling my name. It's only a couple miles away from the local Wall-Mart. Well, I used to sleep on the floor for almost a year because of a transition I was going through so hopefully it's not to much different than my reclining seat. Under-armour will be my best friend up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston