U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,366 times

Advertisements

I've read the majority of the other posts but I wanted to post my own unique situation.

I'm about to turn 27, no health issues. I'm 5'7 and 150 and can easily handle heavy lifting.

I have a non-violent felony from late 2002 and a couple of traffic tickets from 2003 (I'm sure they're on my record somewhere, I was an idiot around age 18-19), no jail time, everything finished with and paid off.

I was born in Alaska and I currently live in Colorado so I know what the weather is like, and it's not a particular concern for me.

I've read some things that say the local taverns and strip clubs are actually good places to get jobs/find employers. Is this true, or a clever yarn being spun to add romance to the boom, a la Spaghetti Westerns?

Will I be stuck paying the price for something that happened over 9 years ago?

Is it difficult for a single guy with no kids to find a heated closet that he can stuff himself in or something?

Would I be better off submitting/attempting to contact potential employers in advance via internet, etc.?

Is there anything else in particular I should know?

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,236,611 times
I know one of the posters on here had a hard time getting on with Halliburton (I think) for a non-violent felony from several years ago. The large national companies (like Halliburton, Schlumberger, etc.) are going to have more strict rules on who can and cannot work for them. That being said, you still have a lot of smaller companies that are not going to care as much. You should have no problem finding a job, it may just take a little extra effort.

It is difficult for anyone to find housing. Your marital status or having kids doesn't really matter. The majority of the people up here don't bring their families with them if they have one, so most homeless people up here are men with no wife or kids.

Most of the larger companies will have their applications available online that you can submit them. You could do that before coming up here, however you will not be taken seriously unless you are actually here. Most employers get thousands of applications from people out of state, however until you're up here and they know you will show up to start working they won't really consider you.

As for anything else... it's cold. Come with the right kind of clothes, boots, etc. as purchasing them once you are here may be more difficult than you think.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM

249 posts, read 407,678 times
Went to Baker Hughes, H&P and Marathon Oil in Dickinson as well as Weatherford.... NONE take apps locally there... Have to apply online ONLY.... which sucks... I'm here ready to work!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM

581 posts, read 1,569,014 times
Those are all huge companies. If you want to knock on a door and get hired you must think local. Find some locally owned companies in the area. Good place to start then you can apply for the big boys and wait for their excruciating process. Some mom and pop shops supply housing. It might be a camper in their backyard but it's a start.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 PM

19 posts, read 35,350 times
thats interesting! it also sucks

Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM

224 posts, read 515,618 times
Go apply at Raven Drilling.

352 1st. st. E.
Dickinson

They are taking local apps

I have no idea if they are a good company, I just saw their ad online.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM

581 posts, read 1,569,014 times
Or go to job service in Dickinson. They'll know who takes a month to get hired and who takes a day.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM

249 posts, read 407,678 times
Went to the Job Service in Dickinson... nice guy, Keith there, but couldn't help me a whole lot, gave me some tips on some companies.... Told me BJ Service is looking for 250 guys but when there... it seems they have been bought by Baker Hughes because when I went there the girl in the office said... "Can't help ya... ya gotta apply online..."

As for Raven... tried to find their %$#@$ office but couldn't... it would appear to me it's downtown, but I couldn't find it for the life of me.... and I learned map reading in the Army... LOL

Does anyone know where they are, physically, so I can stop by there tomorrow on my way to Williston?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 AM

224 posts, read 515,618 times
Raven Drilling appears to be in an office building of some sort.

325 1st. st. E. Suite E Dickinson, ND - Google Maps

Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM

19 posts, read 35,350 times
golfer. baker hughes had a job fair in orlando, yesterday. got offered a position working 14 on and 7 off. some guys went to pa, some went to nd,some to ok and i went to rock springs wy. hope you get on somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston