Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal.chaser View Post
Good Question on the mail,,,is there mail delivery at the rv parks.....?
Not from what I've seen, but I think that would depend from park to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
...or the man camps?
Again, not sure. I would call and ask the camps.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitline View Post
Just wondering...are there any Mennonite churches in/near/around the Williston area?
I haven't seen any. Google pulls one up in Medicine Lake, MT which is just over an hour away from Williston.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpingMom View Post
Thank you OP for taking the time to provide first hand info. Some of my younger family members are considering trying for jobs in ND. I'd appreciate some answers, please -

1. Williston is the town covered on the news, but is it the only boom town choice for the $20 & + hr jobs?
I'm not sure. I know if you're looking for a lower cost of living, a decent wage, but not as much money places like Bismarck, Fargo, and Grand Forks still have really good local economies. They're all cheaper than western North Dakota, but the jobs out there don't pay as much.

If you're really wanting one of the higher paying positions, you're going to want to come to western North Dakota (Williston, Dickinson, Ray, Watford City, Belfield, etc.).

Quote:
2. Housing -
A. What are folks doing once they get there? Are there hotels to stay in or are those full too? I'm thinking several can room together in a hotel until a place to live is found.
Hotels are typically full. It's a night to night thing, but most of them will chuckle if you call in asking about booking a room. The Vegas is the seediest hotel and also seems to have the most vacancies (not surprising). That being said, it can get difficult even getting into there.

Quote:
B. What about close towns such as Epping, Springbrook, etc. Is there housing there?
Nope. If it's in western North Dakota or even eastern Montana you're going to have a rough time finding housing. People are starting to move to Bismarck/Jamestown/Riverdale or Billings and just driving here and sleeping in their cars while they work. Basically there's nowhere to live within 100 miles of Williston.

Quote:
3. Cost of living - what can they expect for housing & food costs?
A lot. We spend about $600 a month to feed a family of 3 and I love to cook and I also bake a LOT. We're not big on eating out.

Housing... lol. Think of New York City or Bay Area California prices. That's what you'll pay here but the place you're living is a lot less nicer and without all the things a city has.

Quote:
4. Do the blue collar jobs operate all winter, or shut down? Don't want to be without a job once get there!
They operate year round.

Quote:
5. Vehicle - we live in Indiana, so we are familiar with cold weather. However, obviously not as cold as ND. Do your vehicles need "special" equipment to operate during the coldest nites & days - such as, special batteries, battery warmers, engine warmers, etc.
Depends on the age of your vehicle. Most newer vehicles will be OK. That being said, my husband and I have always made sure that we have an engine block heater on our vehicle even though it's new. A cheaper option is an oil pan heater that sticks on with a magnet, you can get them off amazon or ebay.

Quote:
6. Is there one central number to call for available jobs/companies info?

Thanks for your help. I'd like to get as much info as possible so they will make an informed decision.
You can always go through job services, but chances are they'll forward you to their website. You can create an account and view a lot of open positions there, it's www.findjobsnd.com.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Phew!

I really hope this becomes a central place for those looking to move here where they can ask their questions (even if they've already been answered) or just find out more about the area.

The ND forum has just gotten a LOT of traffic and it seems like we get a lot of posts basically asking the same thing. Instead of having them spread all over the place, I just thought it would be nice to have a lot of the answers and questions in one central post.

It's fun and I really do enjoy doing this, others are more than welcome to chime in with their own experiences or answers as well!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
The mods should make this thread a sticky so it's right at the top...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 PM

325 posts, read 863,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Obviously if you search the forum they will find the answers but I believe the intention of the OP was to create a thread that answered all the common questions repeatedly asked in other threads. Like a one stop question spot. International man- all you ever do is tell people to search the forums. How bout a little help here guy- i search and search and sometimes 40 threads will come up in response to my search and the first 25 will have nothing to do with what im looking for....just a little thought
Well apparently you have a reading comprehension problem if you think that is all I ever do, so I will ignore that silly comment.

I have run forums and websites for many years and still run one now so I do know the territory. Many new folks do not take the time to search a forum when they first arrive. It is painfully obvious. It is just easier to dive in and start asking questions. It is human nature.

However in the last few days there have been a lot of redundant questions which have been recently answered, so much so that folks other than myself have essentially said the same thing with greater frequency than me. Now I could look up how many times I have said it, but your criticism is so far off base I have no desire to make the effort.

At any rate I haven't been here long, but when I first joined I read through a lot of the material, and 99% of my questions were answered just by reading. It wasn't that hard. It didn't take very long, even though I had to read through a bunch of stuff that wasn't necessarily applicable to my situation, although it did add to my overall knowledge base. There is a ton of knowledge available just by reading the front page alone, without searching specifically for anything.

So if you have searched and didn't find what you were looking for, simply come here and say so, and then ask your question. No one will begrudge you that. And if someone says search the site, instead of some off the wall criticism, tell them you did and you couldn't find what you were looking for. Someone may answer your question or point you to a thread that has the answer.

Simple enough.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 PM

325 posts, read 863,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Good idea

Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Maybe it's time to make a sub-forum here for Williston or the Oil Patch. There's almost no non-oil ND discussion.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
Well apparently you have a reading comprehension problem if you think that is all I ever do, so I will ignore that silly comment.

I have run forums and websites for many years and still run one now so I do know the territory. Many new folks do not take the time to search a forum when they first arrive. It is painfully obvious. It is just easier to dive in and start asking questions. It is human nature.

However in the last few days there have been a lot of redundant questions which have been recently answered, so much so that folks other than myself have essentially said the same thing with greater frequency than me. Now I could look up how many times I have said it, but your criticism is so far off base I have no desire to make the effort.

At any rate I haven't been here long, but when I first joined I read through a lot of the material, and 99% of my questions were answered just by reading. It wasn't that hard. It didn't take very long, even though I had to read through a bunch of stuff that wasn't necessarily applicable to my situation, although it did add to my overall knowledge base. There is a ton of knowledge available just by reading the front page alone, without searching specifically for anything.

So if you have searched and didn't find what you were looking for, simply come here and say so, and then ask your question. No one will begrudge you that. And if someone says search the site, instead of some off the wall criticism, tell them you did and you couldn't find what you were looking for. Someone may answer your question or point you to a thread that has the answer.

Simple enough.
No need to be snarky. But the OP CLEARLY states that this thread is where people can ask the questions that have been posted a hundred times so they are all in one place so as to cut down on some of the redundancy (but probably not). If you dont feel like answering for the millionth time, just dont say anything and give someone who doesnt mind answering the oppurtunity to answer. Also new people join daily, some who are asking and some who are answering. You never know, you might put someone off this thread when someone new with valuable information may come along after you and answer the question better than the previous posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston