Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 AM

52 posts, read 131,291 times

Advertisements

Then don't come to Williston. Wish I'd have picked that up before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmeister Smith View Post
Then don't come to Williston. Wish I'd have picked that up before.

I have a class B with air brakes. I think I better get a calls A with tanker and triple/doubles endorsement.

Jasper

Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
It makes sense to get every thing you can at home before going to Williston. Think about it, there are thousands of people flocking to Williston and then realizing they need to get it done. The drivers license office is probably packed with folks and where do you borrow a rig to test with unless an employer is willing to take you on in hopes of being able to pass everything. Most of them are trying to keep every rig they have producing money, not setting in the yard idle so new hires can learn with.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM

55 posts, read 123,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I have a class B with air brakes. I think I better get a calls A with tanker and triple/doubles endorsement.

Jasper
There are jobs there for a class B with benefits and hazmat,you need hazmat....

What people want at least the ones I called is experience,at least 2 years driving experience,,even a greenhorn like me that has years of otr and no oilfield.....

That'll prolly bite me come time to start throwin chains.....LOL...Meaning outa shape......LOL

Mike

Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It makes sense to get every thing you can at home before going to Williston. Think about it, there are thousands of people flocking to Williston and then realizing they need to get it done. The drivers license office is probably packed with folks and where do you borrow a rig to test with unless an employer is willing to take you on in hopes of being able to pass everything. Most of them are trying to keep every rig they have producing money, not setting in the yard idle so new hires can learn with.
That's one of the reasons why most new CDL holders go through formal schooling to learn how to drive a semi. Unless you know someone with an 18 wheeler who's willing to let you learn hands-on on their rig, it's going to be tough. Plus, many insurance companies won't cover a driver who doesn't possess the proper license class to drive the vehicle.

When I went through CDL school, not only do you learn to drive on the school's equipment, but they provide the truck for you to pass the state test. Years ago, people learned to drive semis 'on the fly' or on a friend's truck or lived in rural areas where getting things done like this were easier, but these days it's not as easy - like most things today being more complicated than they used to be.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM

55 posts, read 123,408 times
Not too mention insurance,,being insureable especially with hazmat.....

Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
I can get a class A without going through the school as I know someone with a rig. However, I wouldn't have the experience driving a big rig just enough to pass the test. I do have several years of Class B rig driving and hoping that helps.

Jasper

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM

249 posts, read 645,260 times
If you have a permit...it's a leg up for the companies that will provide the rest of the training... at least they'll know you can pass the written... so not as much a risk as someone who hasn't even gotten that far...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 AM

287 posts, read 688,671 times
im getting my full class a CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsement for 1800 through a school here in chicago but i will need training if a company wants to hire me. theres no way i will drive a semi without some sort of training specially on winter time

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times
You guys are KILLIN ME!!!!

Not even a month ago this did not seem to be a problem, what is really going on? I was under impression a permit would be sufficient and since there were so many job openings, it would be ok. Now not only the permit is not sufficient but you need a actual CDL w/ al the endorsments and experience? Please tell me my hubby will show up there w/ a permit only and has a chance to get a job, ANYWHERE......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston