Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM

34 posts, read 85,628 times

Advertisements

I did a search and didn't find the specific info I was looking for.

I am planning on moving up to the Williston area, (I already know there is no housing) and I'd like to know what the cost of living is. I know rent is outrageously high, but I'd like to know the current price of regular unleaded gas, 2% milk, 90% lean hamburger, and a loaf of bread. (These are good products to use as a "barometer" for the cost of living.)

I have read that there are shortages in the grocery stores, there. Is this common place? Should I fill up my camper with 3+ months worth of food before I move there, or will I be able to still buy enough food to survive?

I've read a lot about oilfield jobs, but I'm more interested in warehouse jobs. How many warehouses are there in the Williston Area? Does anyone know what they pay, and what the overtime situation is?

I'm looking to move there within the next couple of weeks, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
The cheapest I've seen gas in town yesterday was $3.39 for regular. It's been at that price for a couple of weeks.

Regular generic milk is going for 3 to 4 dollars per gallon at Walmart. Land O Lakes milk (I guess a premium grade milk) is about $4.59 per gallon.

I can't quite remember the bread price, but I think a loaf of Wonder bread at Walmart is around $2.80.

From what I've seen, the shortages that existed at Walmart seem to have somewhat eased. I think Walmart finally broke down and hired more people at higher wages. I've noticed that there are now more cashier lines open, but that could be because of Christmas shopping.

I buy hamburger meat for meatloaf at Economart and it's 98% lean. I think the price was $4.89 per pound if I remember right. I buy all my meat at Economart. Their beef is all Angus meat. The filet mignons are $18 per pound, but their taste, tenderness and texture is to die for. Cube steaks are $4.99 per pound.

There are 3 food stores in town. Walmart (it's a supercenter), Economart and Albertson's.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 PM

Thanks, it does help. Not too much higher than here in KC.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
I have family and relatives living in Williston. There is not a food shortage at the grocery stores...the problems they run into are the shelves are not always stocked because people clean the shelves off faster than they can put the new stock out. For the most part, they bring the boxes out onto the floor and customers kind of just help themselves...but that is what happens during a boom. But you definately don't have to buy for 3 months in advance because of a shortage...but maybe for the convenience of having to push your way through the crowds at the stores? lol As far as milk prices...aren't milk prices regulated by the government? I thought dairy products can't go above a certain price? But maybe that regulation no longer exists? Just curious.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
I have family and relatives living in Williston. There is not a food shortage at the grocery stores...the problems they run into are the shelves are not always stocked because people clean the shelves off faster than they can put the new stock out. For the most part, they bring the boxes out onto the floor and customers kind of just help themselves...but that is what happens during a boom. But you definately don't have to buy for 3 months in advance because of a shortage...but maybe for the convenience of having to push your way through the crowds at the stores? lol As far as milk prices...aren't milk prices regulated by the government? I thought dairy products can't go above a certain price? But maybe that regulation no longer exists? Just curious.

yes I agree, it is more of an elbow to elbow shopping experience at Wally now than it used to be, still cannot get used to seeing so many men in one store, LOL...and most stuff is just left on the pallets in the aisle so kinda self serve, then you have to figure out the price.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post

Well it's good to know that there isn't a food shortage.

I do believe that milk is "gov controlled" but it's done by region, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:35 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusman View Post
Well it's good to know that there isn't a food shortage.

I do believe that milk is "gov controlled" but it's done by region, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info.
Milk is regulated. But what you pay at the pump is not regulated.

Raw milk and raw milk distribution is regulated. Price to the farmer is regulated based on what that milk is getting. However, I don't think the milk you get at Wal-Mart is made or processed in North Dakota. If it is produced in North Dakota, the price is not regulated, however, what you pay trickles down proportionately to the farmer.

But what the price is behind the big glass door, is not regulated as far as a cap on the price. At least, that's the way I read it. I just read several papers from the North Dakota Milk Regulatory Board.

It's too bad. It should be capped at a particular price or a percentage of what it costs to produce. Milk here in Sheridan Wyoming, Wal-Mart brand, is $2.77 a gallon for whole milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston