Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

How is that emergency homeless shelter going. The group of Salvation Army, volunteers, churches and agencies that were assisting homeless folks, are they still doing it? Anybody know how it is going?? updates??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 AM

155 posts, read 421,171 times
There is no homeless shelter as far as i know. The city was talking about building one I think, I could be wrong though but pretty sure I saw it on the news here the other day in Bismarck.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJoker View Post
There is no homeless shelter as far as i know. The city was talking about building one I think, I could be wrong though but pretty sure I saw it on the news here the other day in Bismarck.
Ok, thanks. Knew there was something near Thanksgiving time about the locals trying to do something for the homeless during that cold snap. Must not have panned out.

Last edited by JanND; 01-11-2012 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 AM

454 posts, read 940,259 times
On the local news the other evening they stated that Williston's homeless shelter was 'bursting at the seams'. Up until hearing that on the news, I was unaware there was a homeless shelter in Williston. I am assuming what they have now is something that was temporarily thrown together by some churches or the Salvation Army, I do believe they have something in the works for a more long term solution.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 PM

52 posts, read 175,005 times
quote from the "inforum"

Officials plan for Williston homeless shelter | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

"WILLISTON, N.D. — Officials are planning for a temporary homeless shelter in the booming North Dakota Oil Patch city of Williston.

Upper Missouri Ministries director Nick Johnson says the effort began when two dozen representatives of churches and nonprofits discussed what to do when the weather turns frigid.

Upper Missouri Ministries has a camp facility in Epping that is being used temporarily as a shelter, mainly for families. Johnson says the goal is to have an emergency shelter in Williston that would provide a warm place to sleep. Cots and blankets are available from the state and Salvation Army. Officials just need to find a building to house them.

Officials also are looking for churches or nonprofits willing to open their doors for the night on a rotating schedule."

Old 01-12-2012, 04:40 AM

Thanks NDP & QL, I knew there was something. Thought (hoping) it had gone by the wayside since weather was so decent. It's a little like a catch-22. Doing something in an emergency will now turn into ongoing, and now folks will think, well I'll just relocate to Williston, no housing, I'll just stay at the shelter. I just know what a poor town Williston was and how many poor folks resided in Williston before this boom. I hate seeing what little resources there are going to waste, hopefully these are families and the long term residents booted out of their previous housing, etc. because of the boom. Not folks working the rigs. Williston is having real issues like a "border town" hoping things settle this summer. What do others think?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 AM

I think it will get worse this summer. some more housing will be built and ready, but many more people will move up for work.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
I'm thinking a lot of the people with kids don't consider themselves "homeless" since many have nice 5th wheelers, etc... especially if they still have homes in another state and are trying to work the job thing out as a family. But agree that there are some people who have taken a big leap of faith at the expense of their kids/family, by coming up with vans, older campers, etc... that can't handle the winters cold. I'm sure many thought it would be like an extended camping trip...and others are probably so desperate for work that they were willing to take the risks! Pretty sad...but at least these people are determined to work!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 AM

57 posts, read 101,261 times
They could put FEMA style homeless tents up in Dickinson but I'm sure the local land owners would want $5000 rent for each tent. A fancy name like Prarie Dog Town sounds nice.

Last edited by ndrelocation; 01-13-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
How is that emergency homeless shelter going. The group of Salvation Army, volunteers, churches and agencies that were assisting homeless folks, are they still doing it? Anybody know how it is going?? updates??

they have a homeless shelter now, 15 miles out of williston (for men only, no women or families). It is in the bible camp out there. salvation army can give you directions if you need it. $10 a week while you are looking for work, and they ask for a higher donation after you get a paycheck. just a big room with bunk beds, but it is heated, so there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston