Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,648 times

Advertisements

Long story short: there is nothing for me here in Ohio and I want to move out of my parents' house this summer. After doing some research, it seems reasonably wise to go to North Dakota this summer in search of a job to support myself. I wouldn't have much money left by the time I get out there, but I know there are plenty of people in the Williston area who took the gamble and I'm sure I'll be fine with sleeping in a tent for awhile.

Anyway, I'll be 21 in a few weeks and I admittedly have no marketable skills... is it realistic to expect to land a job within a few days if I just packed my crap and drove out there? What kinds of opportunities would be available to me? From what I hear, Williston is practically a city in the making right now... so maybe if I'm in the right place at the right time I can get a paid apprenticeship in something like HVAC tech or some other trade.

I appreciate everyone's honest advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM

443 posts, read 806,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefeast View Post
Long story short: there is nothing for me here in Ohio and I want to move out of my parents' house this summer. After doing some research, it seems reasonably wise to go to North Dakota this summer in search of a job to support myself. I wouldn't have much money left by the time I get out there, but I know there are plenty of people in the Williston area who took the gamble and I'm sure I'll be fine with sleeping in a tent for awhile.

Anyway, I'll be 21 in a few weeks and I admittedly have no marketable skills... is it realistic to expect to land a job within a few days if I just packed my crap and drove out there? What kinds of opportunities would be available to me? From what I hear, Williston is practically a city in the making right now... so maybe if I'm in the right place at the right time I can get a paid apprenticeship in something like HVAC tech or some other trade.

I'd stay in Ohio. Ohio's economy set to see oil boom thanks to fracking - Dec. 20, 2011

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

192 posts, read 497,316 times
Well I'd start with NOT calling yourself "A young lad".

Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM

29 posts, read 66,380 times
what kind of work exp. do you have ?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times
If you are determined on getting there on limited resources, I'd get close to there but not there. These areas I live, Central MN have A LOT of jobs and even more people from here who work over there in ND. Someone here always knows somewhere there who got a job from someone here, LOL. At my husband prior job here there are a lot of young "lads" working with goals in getting to ND. Also you can start in Fargo or another larger city there.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM

34 posts, read 85,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefeast View Post

I assume you are not planning on moving to Williston BEFORE summer?

Let me give you some friendly advice. Don't wait until summer, but DO NOT come right now. Come up around the first of May. ND has a law that prevents 18 wheelers from running on the paved roads, loaded. I've been told that this law will expire, for the year, this week, or next...IT IS STILL JUST A RUMOR. You will hear a lot of rumors here. Us oilers...that's what we call ourselves... spend a lot of time standing around BSing. The most common phrase here is, "that's what I heard".

If that law isn't lifted this week, it could be as much as a month before it's lifted, and I haven't been able to find any concrete info on it. Tried calling the NDDOT, but was on hold for 20 mins before I gave up. Might try again tomorrow.

You can message me for more detailed info, if you like. Good luck.
lazarusman

Edited to add: By the way, DO NO COME TO WILLISTON NORTH DAKOTA WITHOUT ANY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must have a car/truck, so at least you have something to live in, (there is no free camping in, or around Williston, you will be run off by the police) money, so you have food and gas to survive on. Please heed my warnings. That goes for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston