Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM

72,923 posts, read 62,482,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would not bring a child to live in a trailer, it is not a good idea, unless you have a sitter. Which I hear the daycare's are in very short supply also. Most women are staying behind, because of housing situation. And they are now banning RV's unless you are in an RV lot.
I just thought of something. It's risky, but I have thought of the idea that a person could start their own construction business building housing for workers coming up to North Dakota. A big caveot is that it's risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,179,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can't go. I'm still in class in Georgia. I probably won't graduate from college until July this year. I'm exploring the possibility of going to North Dakota after I graduate because I know so many people who graduated from college where I live and some of them are unemployed or working bad jobs. I keep say "you have to leave if you want to do something". Some people are adamant about staying in the Atlanta area. I talked to someone about the possibility of going to North Dakota for a job. The response I got: "Are you sure you want to do that? It's different, everything is. There aren't many Blacks living in North Dakota"? I looked at it as "If I can get a job and make some decent money up there, I'll do what I have to do".
You won't have a problem being black in N.D. Here is one of the forum's favorite oilfield thread posters. He has helped so many folks by sharing his experience and knowledge. I found out mths ago that he only lasted a year, couldn't put up w/ the extreme cold. He has some real good info...Watch these
Video's re: Oil Field jobs: Update from Ex-Oil Field Worker, #1-8, and multiple oil related videos...Good Info!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
You won't have a problem being black in N.D. Here is one of the forum's favorite oilfield thread posters. He has helped so many folks by sharing his experience and knowledge. I found out mths ago that he only lasted a year, couldn't put up w/ the extreme cold. He has some real good info...Watch these
Video's re: Oil Field jobs: Update from Ex-Oil Field Worker, #1-8, and multiple oil related videos...Good Info!
Never said I would have problems being Black in ND. I would be more concerned with housing and basically getting up there. I'll put up with the cold if it means I get money. Safety could be another issue. From what one person said, the possibility of running into some rough people.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-19-2012 at 10:47 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 AM

625 posts, read 1,880,048 times
You could live somewhere else & he comes there on his days/off. Here in Valley City, there's been several houses sold in the past few weeks to families of oilfield workers. There was a story the night b-4 last on one of the Fargo TV station's news about how the oilfield is starting to affect us here in Valley City. Guess there's also been homes sold to folks from out there just want away from the oilfield & all the hassles, so they sold their homes there & moved here and found new jobs. I know the John Deere plant is crying for welders and workers for several other job descriptions, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheinida View Post
my boyfriend wants to go to ND because he heard of this big boom out there, and me being the woman I am looking at it different, one because of housing situation and what I have read about the winter. I am just doing some research for myself right now, so if anyone can answer a couple of questions I would appreciate it very much.

What type of jobs are out there for women, beside fast food, hotel, walmart. I have like over 20yrs in the customer service field. some warehouse.

Is there anything for an 11 year old child to do while they are out there, I just dont seem it is fair to have him in a trailer while we work.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,179,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Never said I would have problems being Black in ND. I would be more concerned with housing and basically getting up there. I'll put up with the cold if it means I get money. Safety could be another issue. From what one person said, the possibility of running into some rough people.
Sorry, mistook your post I guess. Rereading....Guess your friends were worried, not you.
Yes, there is the strong possibility of running into rough people....there are many folks here now that normally wouldn't even consider driving through N.D. previously. Many live in their vehicles, trucks, in RV's, multiple folks to a rental property....it is not a normal living situation in lots of cases. Although so many folks on here seem like the type that would live like that regardless to save a buck. Read the many threads w/ headings that fit your concerns....Good luck.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry, mistook your post I guess. Rereading....Guess your friends were worried, not you.
Yes, there is the strong possibility of running into rough people....there are many folks here now that normally wouldn't even consider driving through N.D. previously. Many live in their vehicles, trucks, in RV's, multiple folks to a rental property....it is not a normal living situation in lots of cases. Although so many folks on here seem like the type that would live like that regardless to save a buck. Read the many threads w/ headings that fit your concerns....Good luck.
There are two things I worry about: Finding housing, and wondering about if I will run into some rough people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston