Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 PM

113 posts, read 230,809 times

Advertisements

I'm getting bites in construction...Maybe those with CDLs if inclined look into operating equipment and driving in the construction trade or oil site prep/cleanup.....just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehogs View Post
I was in Williston for 10+ days recently, and wanted to give everyone a report on the jobs situation at the moment. As I just arrived back home a few days ago, this is current information.

1) Housing is very hard to find. Affordable housing is impossible to find. Unless you find an oil job that gets you into a man camp, you are going to either be (1) effectively homeless (2) paying a very inflated rate for an RV/camper spot or (3) paying a ridiculous amount for actual housing.

2) Hiring at most or all of the large oil companies has slowed down significantly recently. While they are still hiring for some positions, these are very difficult to obtain without specialized skills or prior oilfield experience. Do not expect to ride into town and get a high paying oil job without a CDL, prior oilfield experience, etc.

3) Please do not listen to people who arrived in town months or even years ago. The situation, as it currently stands, has changed significantly since then. The oil companies are no longer hiring "anyone who can walk and talk."

4) There are lots of other jobs in town (Wal Mart, fast food, some construction etc.), but no one is moving to Williston to make $9.00 - 14.00 dollars an hour for 40 hours a week. You will not be able to afford housing making this amount. Some construction jobs pay more, but still (in most cases) not nearly enough for housing.
Then I have a question. Are there any jobs for cartographers in the area?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Check the "Community" thread. Lots of web links, and names of companies. Don't forget to include any/all work related experience....beyond your tech skills....labor, supervision, whatever transferable. Must be a need for your skills & expertise, but it looks like multiple skills is the seller these days for most big companies.
Just searched for you....here is a pretty good link for the Bakken area http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=cartogr...ampaign=Query1

Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Check the "Community" thread. Lots of web links, and names of companies. Don't forget to include any/all work related experience....beyond your tech skills....labor, supervision, whatever transferable. Must be a need for your skills & expertise, but it looks like multiple skills is the seller these days for most big companies.
Just searched for you....here is a pretty good link for the Bakken area Cartography Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Thank you. I was asking because I currently live in Georgia, which has one of the highest unemployment rates in the USA. Even if there is a need for my skill set, not many people want to hire right now.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM

142 posts, read 417,410 times
According to my husband who hauls water in the "patch", many of the trucking/CDL jobs are currently being filled by people who have logging truck driving experience vs. OTR experience.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Yeah, that's what "qualified" my husband. Very little DOT-logged experience but almost 20 years of short hauls with cattle pots, grain trucks and county road work...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
my boyfriend wants to go to ND because he heard of this big boom out there, and me being the woman I am looking at it different, one because of housing situation and what I have read about the winter. I am just doing some research for myself right now, so if anyone can answer a couple of questions I would appreciate it very much.

What type of jobs are out there for women, beside fast food, hotel, walmart. I have like over 20yrs in the customer service field. some warehouse.

Is there anything for an 11 year old child to do while they are out there, I just dont seem it is fair to have him in a trailer while we work.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
I heard on the radio today and yesterday that they are having a "Bakken" job fair at the Airport International Inn, in Williston on April 26th. It said to come prepared with resume in hand in case you get hired on the spot. It said they various oil filed related companies will be on hand. The add also said sponsored by Clear Channel. (which I do not believe they even have a presence in Williston). Anyone else heard this radio add?
I see Savage Bakken Petroleum Services and WATCO Terminal and Port services are having job fairs from 4-23 through 4-27 at the Williston job service.

Williston Area Chamber of Commerce - Calendar (http://www.willistonchamber.net/CommunityCalendar.aspx - broken link)

Maybe someone else has something on the International Inn Bakken job fair.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
I heard on the radio today and yesterday that they are having a "Bakken" job fair at the Airport International Inn, in Williston on April 26th. It said to come prepared with resume in hand in case you get hired on the spot. It said they various oil filed related companies will be on hand. The add also said sponsored by Clear Channel. (which I do not believe they even have a presence in Williston). Anyone else heard this radio add?
I see Savage Bakken Petroleum Services and WATCO Terminal and Port services are having job fairs from 4-23 through 4-27 at the Williston job service.

Williston Area Chamber of Commerce - Calendar (http://www.willistonchamber.net/CommunityCalendar.aspx - broken link)

Maybe someone else has something on the International Inn Bakken job fair.
I can't go. I'm still in class in Georgia. I probably won't graduate from college until July this year. I'm exploring the possibility of going to North Dakota after I graduate because I know so many people who graduated from college where I live and some of them are unemployed or working bad jobs. I keep say "you have to leave if you want to do something". Some people are adamant about staying in the Atlanta area. I talked to someone about the possibility of going to North Dakota for a job. The response I got: "Are you sure you want to do that? It's different, everything is. There aren't many Blacks living in North Dakota"? I looked at it as "If I can get a job and make some decent money up there, I'll do what I have to do".

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheinida View Post
my boyfriend wants to go to ND because he heard of this big boom out there, and me being the woman I am looking at it different, one because of housing situation and what I have read about the winter. I am just doing some research for myself right now, so if anyone can answer a couple of questions I would appreciate it very much.

What type of jobs are out there for women, beside fast food, hotel, walmart. I have like over 20yrs in the customer service field. some warehouse.

Is there anything for an 11 year old child to do while they are out there, I just dont seem it is fair to have him in a trailer while we work.
I would not bring a child to live in a trailer, it is not a good idea, unless you have a sitter. Which I hear the daycare's are in very short supply also. Most women are staying behind, because of housing situation. And they are now banning RV's unless you are in an RV lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston