Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times

Advertisements

Well have been back in Dutch Harbor, AK now for a few weeks and same ol same ol, internet horrible as usual, miss seeing everyone here on forum, LOL

Well hubby has been working hard in Williston minus a few days he said rained and no work, but he enjoys it and likes it there. His company is nice and is allowing some of them to bring families on their property via trailers. He is so excited for us to go there and the only expense would be the trailer but no monthly fee or anything. I am hesitant as we have moved so much I really want to be stationed by August somewhere due to schooling and all. As much research as I have done on Williston it wasn't for my kids or thinking it woyld be for schools. How are they there? Is this a good idea or not? I seriously would like to work there and take advantage of all the jobs but not sure if good with kids. Also feel a little worried of how long we could live in a trailer, for summer it sounds fun but how long am worried.

Another thing is he is working in construction and now that he is there working he gets all sorts of job offers. One I was shocked he didn't take. The company is gonna be there all winter doing other projects so we won't get kicked out but I thought he was going elsewhere in terms of jobwise. Any advice would be apprecitaed.

On another note and totally off topic here in Dutch Harbor there are rumors and gossip of oil drilling getting big. I mean not that big but Shell Oil is coming in next few wekks to drill this time and I met a guy from Watford City who came here via a welding company to wait for Shell to get here. Small world, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Well, I had a new client come to the office today and he and his wife are just this week relocating from Williston. He said he did not want to raise his small children in that atmosphere. He had been working for a large oil service company for the past 3 years. Decent place to live, pets the whole normal situation.
He said some pretty horrific things about crime that I am not gonna post it here.
The bottom line, he had a good paying job, but the cost of living and the horrific atmosphere he described that is Williston today has chased him out. He said it wasn't like this til last summer, busy, hectic but not so crime ridden that a female was afraid to go to the store or Walmart w/out her spouse.....So, taking kids, not sure I would. But if you are gonna be home w/ them it might be ok. They shortage of daycare is as bad as housing I have heard from many folks. Some real things to consider.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Keep in mind that the Williston city school district (District 1) does not cover that much area. If the RV park is in the country, the school district could be District #8 (which sends its high school age kids to Williston. Williams County has a number of school districts, so the assumption should not be made that a child living near Williston will go to Williston city schools. Williston schools ae generally very good, but with the rapid growth and high number of teacher hirings it could get spottier.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, I had a new client come to the office today and he and his wife are just this week relocating from Williston. He said he did not want to raise his small children in that atmosphere. He had been working for a large oil service company for the past 3 years. Decent place to live, pets the whole normal situation.
He said some pretty horrific things about crime that I am not gonna post it here.
The bottom line, he had a good paying job, but the cost of living and the horrific atmosphere he described that is Williston today has chased him out. He said it wasn't like this til last summer, busy, hectic but not so crime ridden that a female was afraid to go to the store or Walmart w/out her spouse.....So, taking kids, not sure I would. But if you are gonna be home w/ them it might be ok. They shortage of daycare is as bad as housing I have heard from many folks. Some real things to consider.
Thanks Jan. I am real hesitant over this as I am not looking for somewhere for my kids to be for a few years. More like the duration of their school years. And my youngest is 4. Even here where I am is a boom town before more so than now, and it can grow old real quick.

I am also taking into consideration my hubby works a lot and would be like not seeing him anyways. The one thing that appeals to me most is I can work really easy.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Keep in mind that the Williston city school district (District 1) does not cover that much area. If the RV park is in the country, the school district could be District #8 (which sends its high school age kids to Williston. Williams County has a number of school districts, so the assumption should not be made that a child living near Williston will go to Williston city schools. Williston schools ae generally very good, but with the rapid growth and high number of teacher hirings it could get spottier.
Decent schools is my top priority, and your right witht the growth it can change real fast. Well we will not be living in RV park but on company site, which is in Williston my hubby said he is close to downtown area. Do you know also if their is variety of activities for kids? And how is the sports? My daughter is active in dance group that is widespread through Minnesota and North Dakota, didn't see one in Williston though on web site.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,088 times
Why not locate to Bismarck, Jamestown or something like that. You would be much closer, cheaper rent, and much better lifestyle.

He can come visit on weekends or days off.

Here is an article from newspaper that just came out:

North Dakota oil patch bracing for influx of students (http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/north-dakota-oil-patch-bracing-for-influx-of-students/article_cf9fd2c4-9535-11e1-98d7-001a4bcf887a.html - broken link)

DICKINSON, N.D. — A study requested by the governor estimates that schools in western North Dakota's booming oil patch need to prepare for an influx of more than 3,000 students — more than half of them in Williston.

Read more: North Dakota oil patch bracing for influx of students (http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/north-dakota-oil-patch-bracing-for-influx-of-students/article_cf9fd2c4-9535-11e1-98d7-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1tqLFFNBz - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston