Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM

36 posts, read 98,805 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I have made the decision to send me to Williston to increase our income and try to get ahead a bit. I am an IT guy and am wondering if there are any IT jobs. According to my searches on the ND Job Services and Monster.com the answer seems to be no. I am willing to change careers but I am having a hard time finding anything that looks like a fit. I am 36 and not in Oilfield shape so that eliminates working on a rig. Am I looking in the wrong place? I am getting a bit discouraged. Any advice would be great. BTW, my sister lives in Williston and has offered me a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMike7 View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I have made the decision to send me to Williston to increase our income and try to get ahead a bit. I am an IT guy and am wondering if there are any IT jobs. According to my searches on the ND Job Services and Monster.com the answer seems to be no. I am willing to change careers but I am having a hard time finding anything that looks like a fit. I am 36 and not in Oilfield shape so that eliminates working on a rig. Am I looking in the wrong place? I am getting a bit discouraged. Any advice would be great. BTW, my sister lives in Williston and has offered me a place to live.
Unfortunately I dont know about IT stuff in Williston but I would feel that Fargo area would be better fitted with Microsoft there.... but who knows?

Dan

Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM

36 posts, read 98,805 times
Except my sister doesn't live in Fargo. Also wages aren't much better than where I live now. Anyone have an opinion on how a computer repair service would fair? At any rate, I wouldn't mind a change of career.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMike7 View Post
Hello all,

I would also second what another poster said. I doubt you'll find much in the Williston area, other than getting lucky. Bismarck, or better yet, Fargo, would be a better opportunity. Overall the tech wages seem very poor in North Dakota. South Dakota seems much better, especially around Sioux Falls. Still not as good as the East Coast or Bay area, but close enough to equal out for the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston