U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 AM

593 posts, read 736,157 times
For a combination of job opportunities and reasonable housing, Fargo is about as good as it gets. Retail and service jobs would be immeidately available, and then pursue your desired occupation within the region over the next year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 PM

7,953 posts, read 6,055,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
For a combination of job opportunities and reasonable housing, Fargo is about as good as it gets. Retail and service jobs would be immeidately available, and then pursue your desired occupation within the region over the next year.
This is good advice!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM

21 posts, read 19,770 times
UPDATE

To everyone that has responded to my post, thank you very much. I will try to respond to all your questions. If i leave anything out, let me know.

First of all I have found that being a woman does not hinder you finding a job here. I have seen women working in all areas (oil, road work, equipment operators, truck drivers) basically any and all jobs will hire women of all ages.

For those of you that prefer to work in retail or service professions, you will get hired on the spot at many places (Kmart, jcpennies, all fast food, Walmart day/graveyard). Wages range from 13 hr to 15 hr to start. Dairy queen even has a 300 sign on bonus, unheard of in California.

If your a hairdresser, you could find yourself booked up months in advance. Waitresses make great tips and all the hotels are hiring housekeepers. Most jobs offer f/t with benefits.

Why i came to ND: I was laid off just as the housing and economy crashed in CA. I recieved unemployment for the full 99 weeks and a month after my benifits stopped i finally found a job. The job was something i had experience doing, but the going wage was $15 hr now (in 2001 starting wage was $17 hr and i was at $22 when i was laid off). Six months later i was laid off again (last to be hired, first to go) due to San Bernardino County cutting back on funding for mental health services. I had to wait two months before i could file again (if i filed immediately i got $75 week, if i waited i got $375 week). I barely made it those months and i couldn't get even an interview. After filing I received 12 weeks of benefits. I ended up taking a caretaking job for $10 hr. The woman i took care of was on hospice and needed 24 hr care so i worked 12 hour shifts at night and looked for work during the day. Well, my client died after three months. That is when i decided to give up on the California job market and head to ND.

I researched my move for about six months before finally deciding to take a chance. It was not an easy decision. I grew up in California and hated leaving. People move here right, not the other way around. lol times are changing.

I can't tell you how discouraging it was to look for job ads in California. There just weren't any and when you did find something, good luck at getting an interview. It was like sending your resume into a black hole never getting a response of any kind. Most of the ads ended up being scams or some MLM scheme.

It was an amazing feeling when i opened the papers in North Dakota found opportunities galore. It was empowering to see the Employers placing large ads to try and attract applicants (even list why you should pick them to work for over other companies). It was nothing like in California, the workers have the edge here and you can feel it.

Now as for my social work field, I've decided not to apply for those jobs because they are limited on the hrs per week and housing is expensive for even a travel trailor. Well i came here to make money, period. And here in North Dakota overtime is where you make the bulk of your money. Most companies that give overtime are in construction and oil, but also retail in some cases. For those not looking for OT know that most places are hiring f/t with benefits. I have never seen this in Southern CA.

Regarding housing, i camped for one week then networked and made friends with someone willing to let me use their apt as a base while I looked for a job.

JOB SEARCH Update. NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK.... I hung out and talked to the guys (and one gal lol) everywhere i went. After a week I met someone who heard of an opening with a construction company building roads. He had just been hired and his new boss asked him if he knew of anyone that could operate a roller. He told me about it and explained what i would be doing. He introduced me to the boss today and I was hired on the spot (pending a clear background check). I start Thursday. I will be making $15 hr to start (raised to $20hr after training). I will be working 5 to 6 days a week (usually 6 during good weather) and 12-14 hrs a day. I was told that i shouldn't be surprised if i brought in $2k a week if weather holds out.

Ive never made that much in my entire career (overtime is usually frowned on in my field).

What's even better is that this company leaves when the weather turns bad. Once the winter hits we pack up and move to other states, next site is TX or FL probably in November if I want to go.

HOUSING Well the guy who referred me for the job told me his landlord has a fifth wheel trailer for rent about eight miles away in a small town near the job site. I move in Wednesday at 800 month. I only have to pay 400 to move in and the rest when i get my first paycheck.

Most housing is found networking through people at work or that you meet. Keep that in mind. I think it has been said on this site before by the senior members. Believe them they know what they're talking about.

I can't emphasis how important networking is, talk to the men (and women but mostly men lol). You find them eating at Applebee's, or at local drinking holes. Don't hesitate to let them know you're looking for work and they will steer you in the right direction if theyve heard anything.

If anyone wants to email me privately that's fine. I understand how hard it is to make this decision. I agree with the poster that we dont leave our home and families on a whim. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I'm glad I did so far.

If you are in nd already lets meet up.

Bye for now and sorry for the typos. Phones are not the easiest To post from

Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal__Kathy View Post
UPDATE

To everyone that has responded to my post, thank you very much. I will try to respond to all your questions. If i leave anything out, let me know.

First of all I have found that being a woman does not hinder you finding a job here. I have seen women working in all areas (oil, road work, equipment operators, truck drivers) basically any and all jobs will hire women of all ages.

For those of you that prefer to work in retail or service professions, you will get hired on the spot at many places (Kmart, jcpennies, all fast food, Walmart day/graveyard). Wages range from 13 hr to 15 hr to start. Dairy queen even has a 300 sign on bonus, unheard of in California.

If your a hairdresser, you could find yourself booked up months in advance. Waitresses make great tips and all the hotels are hiring housekeepers. Most jobs offer f/t with benefits.

Why i came to ND: I was laid off just as the housing and economy crashed in CA. I recieved unemployment for the full 99 weeks and a month after my benifits stopped i finally found a job. The job was something i had experience doing, but the going wage was $15 hr now (in 2001 starting wage was $17 hr and i was at $22 when i was laid off). Six months later i was laid off again (last to be hired, first to go) due to San Bernardino County cutting back on funding for mental health services. I had to wait two months before i could file again (if i filed immediately i got $75 week, if i waited i got $375 week). I barely made it those months and i couldn't get even an interview. After filing I received 12 weeks of benefits. I ended up taking a caretaking job for $10 hr. The woman i took care of was on hospice and needed 24 hr care so i worked 12 hour shifts at night and looked for work during the day. Well, my client died after three months. That is when i decided to give up on the California job market and head to ND.

I researched my move for about six months before finally deciding to take a chance. It was not an easy decision. I grew up in California and hated leaving. People move here right, not the other way around. lol times are changing.

I can't tell you how discouraging it was to look for job ads in California. There just weren't any and when you did find something, good luck at getting an interview. It was like sending your resume into a black hole never getting a response of any kind. Most of the ads ended up being scams or some MLM scheme.

It was an amazing feeling when i opened the papers in North Dakota found opportunities galore. It was empowering to see the Employers placing large ads to try and attract applicants (even list why you should pick them to work for over other companies). It was nothing like in California, the workers have the edge here and you can feel it.

Now as for my social work field, I've decided not to apply for those jobs because they are limited on the hrs per week and housing is expensive for even a travel trailor. Well i came here to make money, period. And here in North Dakota overtime is where you make the bulk of your money. Most companies that give overtime are in construction and oil, but also retail in some cases. For those not looking for OT know that most places are hiring f/t with benefits. I have never seen this in Southern CA.

Regarding housing, i camped for one week then networked and made friends with someone willing to let me use their apt as a base while I looked for a job.

JOB SEARCH Update. NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK.... I hung out and talked to the guys (and one gal lol) everywhere i went. After a week I met someone who heard of an opening with a construction company building roads. He had just been hired and his new boss asked him if he knew of anyone that could operate a roller. He told me about it and explained what i would be doing. He introduced me to the boss today and I was hired on the spot (pending a clear background check). I start Thursday. I will be making $15 hr to start (raised to $20hr after training). I will be working 5 to 6 days a week (usually 6 during good weather) and 12-14 hrs a day. I was told that i shouldn't be surprised if i brought in $2k a week if weather holds out.

Ive never made that much in my entire career (overtime is usually frowned on in my field).

What's even better is that this company leaves when the weather turns bad. Once the winter hits we pack up and move to other states, next site is TX or FL probably in November if I want to go.

HOUSING Well the guy who referred me for the job told me his landlord has a fifth wheel trailer for rent about eight miles away in a small town near the job site. I move in Wednesday at 800 month. I only have to pay 400 to move in and the rest when i get my first paycheck.

Most housing is found networking through people at work or that you meet. Keep that in mind. I think it has been said on this site before by the senior members. Believe them they know what they're talking about.

I can't emphasis how important networking is, talk to the men (and women but mostly men lol). You find them eating at Applebee's, or at local drinking holes. Don't hesitate to let them know you're looking for work and they will steer you in the right direction if theyve heard anything.

If anyone wants to email me privately that's fine. I understand how hard it is to make this decision. I agree with the poster that we dont leave our home and families on a whim. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I'm glad I did so far.

If you are in nd already lets meet up.

Bye for now and sorry for the typos. Phones are not the easiest To post from

Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

Great news Kathy. You are so right and so smart. Yes networking and talking face to face is by far the best way to go in the area. It is who you know. Ask folks, dont be shy. It is how you will advance.

Dan

Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM

26 posts, read 29,836 times
Bravo to you!!! Ive been wondering how things were going. Theres so much valuable info in your post Ive read it 3x, lol.

Did you find some areas with more jobs than others?

Keep updating us all when you can.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,235 times
Congratulations on finding a job and housing!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Congrats!! Make lots of money! Be safe!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM

140 posts, read 190,196 times
Glad this all worked out for you Kathy! Your posts have been so informative and interesting, thank you! Now enjoy the wonderful people of ND.....and of course those paychecks!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM

32 posts, read 31,886 times
Seems like Williston is the place for so called: "Rugged Individuals."

Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Here is my suggestion for the ladies discussing jobs. I would look into the office management, or H.R. positions that may be available, throughout N.D. There are several folks that have listed various job related websites. I would apply online then come for offered interviews. I understand some folks are desperate...I really do. But common sense must prevail even when you're desperate. You have got to have a stick house to be safe in the winter.
The Western half of N.D. has been experiencing a population explosion the likes of which has not been seen here before. There is no housing. (Although I did see Minot had rentals and for sale homes recently) There are folks living in multiple roommate situations even in small apartments and rec vehicles.
You cannot camp out, first it isn't safe, second when winter hits in just a couple months you will not survive the extreme conditions. There has been a local church trying to help homeless folks, but that cannot last indefinitely....

Williston is...was a small town...12,500 Now it has tripled....maybe even quadrupled in the last couple of years. I have met folks recently moving from Williston...They look shell shocked. I have heard some real horrible things about what is becoming "normal" there.
Please give yourselves the best chance you can....use all your gut instincts when attempting to relocate where the conditions are so bad locals, folks that have been there for generations.... are desperate to move...anywhere.

You ladies from Calif. you know what skidrow is...Williston and Dickinson have the same elements living there now...folks that were desperate..and cannot get home, or they didn't find a job, or they drink what they earn...As a social worker, you know about systems....some fail.

Give it a couple of years for housing to catch up. We are a state full of wonderful, caring people. Many of the new people are like that too. There is a bad element that has come to take advantage. Ask any guy working there if he would want his wife and family there by themselves.

There are much safer cities in North Dakota, many have jobs and more available and affordable housing. You could work for 10 an hr and live in Bismarck, Fargo or G.F. and any number of smaller cities in the Eastern half of N.D. You can't live in the oil related cities for less than 20-25...I had heard that some of the H.R. positions were starting in the 60's there in the boom areas...
Do the math, figure out your take home wages....read what the rents are. Make an informed and wise move. Be safe.

Last edited by JanND; 08-22-2012 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston