Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:30 AM

296 posts, read 625,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal__Kathy View Post
Well I'm still in ND and doing great.

I moved out of the fifth wheel and into a local residents converted basement apartment and I love it. My rent is cheap, but only because i got to know my landlord and he trusts me. He is in his 70's, and one of the best people I've ever met.

I worked the entire construction season in 2013 operating heavy equipment. I paid my rent for the apartment while i lived on the job site in a camper which was outside of williston, too far to commute from my apartment. The season ended in November for me. Rather than take layoff i got a job working for another dirt company building oil pads for Eog.

I did that for the winter and didn't need to take layoff until last week. I plan on going back to work for the same company as last year when the season starts up again. That will be determined when the road restrictions are lifted after the spring thaw. Heavy Equipment can then be transfered to the job site and we will start working again.

Last year i worked 7 days a week, from sun up to sun down. My largest check a week was about $2900. Its all about the overtime. I averaged during the winter 1k a week. but the hours were much less.

So in summary, I started at $15 hr with no experience operating a roller. And now I'm at $25 and hour with full medical benifits paid. I've been out here since july 2012.

Sorry for the brief update. Just wanted to check in and let everyone know i was still around.
Way to go Kathy! Glad to hear you're continuing to do well, and thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:05 PM

21 posts, read 40,406 times
Default challenges with Women and Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
SoCal Kathy!!! Awesome to see that you've done what you set out to do while here!! Thanks so much for the update....I also have a bit of concern in the back of my mind for the new folks, especially females...What can I say...It's the Mama in me....
And I so appreciate knowing ppl like you are ok!! Gads...I'll bet you'll have some stories to tell your friends!! Proud of you!!!
Since you mentioned it, I have to admit that being a female does bring its own challenges. Construction may be the last frontier for women's lib. Being a female has additional challenges working in the field. Some of the men aren't used to working with women, especially ones that do the same work as them. I operate heavy equipment and some men don't think i should be there. Luckily I had the support of others when situations arose.

I've had rumors spread, was sent home once only cause i was female, and harrassed by one forman who turned out to be a really bad guy in the end. I was even fired once by a supervisor that thought i shoudnt even be there. I was rehired a week later and paid for my time off, the supervisor was fired. And being good creates more resentment, i guess some guys egos are too fragile to work with a woman who can do the same job and better. I'm still always shocked but its getting easier to deal with each time it happens. My reactions are changing, working in a mans world can be a culture shock to say the least.

I do want to say that its harder to get a job as a female without a man to back you. Its hard to walk into a place and get hired being a singe female. They know that women bring some potential drama to the workplace even when they do nothing to cause it. Some of the men have a hard time with it and they are the ones that cause the trouble. It can be hard to avoid.

So if you are female and reading my story, I hope this helps clarify that it isn't easy being a woman in this field. I could get a job anywhere, this is just regarding to construction. I only stay in the field because i'm damn good at working dirt and i enjoy it. I catch on quick and will be an excellent finishing operator someday. I just have to compete with the boys for seat time. I would probably chose to do something else if i wasn't catching on as good as i am. There are lots of opportunities so don't let anything discourage you, especially the boys. LOL

Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,172 times
The best bet for housing is to bring yer own camper van with a bed, small fridge & sink, tv, cb, etc.
You don't need a big 30 ft gas guzzling 5 mpg RV.
Just an extended van that's tall enough to stand up in and all the above included.
With any luck you can park it on yer employers property and plug it in if they don't have use of a campground.
You can run a hose to an outside faucet for water, shower, etc.
Hopefully its quieter there than it would be in the truck stop.
In winter anyone with any sense gets the heck outta ND so frozen pipes/water/toilets are a non-issue.
And come spring yer back in bizness.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Well I'm still in ND and doing great.

I moved out of the fifth wheel and into a local residents converted basement apartment and I love it. My rent is cheap, but only because i got to know my landlord and he trusts me. He is in his 70's, and one of the best people I've ever met.

I worked the entire construction season in 2013 operating heavy equipment. I paid my rent for the apartment while i lived on the job site in a camper which was outside of williston, too far to commute from my apartment. The season ended in November for me. Rather than take layoff i got a job working for another dirt company building oil pads for Eog.

I did that for the winter and didn't need to take layoff until last week. I plan on going back to work for the same company as last year when the season starts up again. That will be determined when the road restrictions are lifted after the spring thaw. Heavy Equipment can then be transfered to the job site and we will start working again.

Last year i worked 7 days a week, from sun up to sun down. My largest check a week was about $2900. Its all about the overtime. I averaged during the winter 1k a week. but the hours were much less.

So in summary, I started at $15 hr with no experience operating a roller. And now I'm at $25 and hour with full medical benifits paid. I've been out here since july 2012.

Sorry for the brief update. Just wanted to check in and let everyone know i was still around.
Were you already licensed to operate such equipment before you arrived?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM

21 posts, read 40,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Were you already licensed to operate such equipment before you arrived?
No, I had no experience

Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 PM

103 posts, read 198,262 times
somehow I need to get on the road you are now on kathy. im having problems navigating the good jobs.

Last edited by DNYGRL; 04-08-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
No, I had no experience
Where did you obtain license? Are there lots of schools springing up in Williston or do these jobs not require it?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 AM
n0x

16 posts, read 19,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Radiantami...The talk bout jobs and opportunities are factual....the issues related to housing and in some cases safety concerns are a glitch. There are some jobs that offer housing, but I've been hearing that is slowing down because more apartments are becoming available. It would be something you should check out w/ each position or lead that you persue.
Walmart is paying 19.50 for overnight checkers....but considering the rents here can be 2000 and more, it is still a tough decision you'd have to make. There are jobs that women hold in mancamps and driving truck...there are several others. I'll send you a couple links.
Hey JanND, would it be possible to get those links, too? My story is similar to several of the ladies here who are looking to get employed after long times of lay-off and I've been thinking maybe this might be a ticket out. I like the idea of working hard for good $$, too. After 20 years of working 40 hours a week for barely cost of living, I like the idea of working hard and making enough to actually earn a decent living wage!

For the OP, what sources did you use to network w/ people when you first arrived? How did you initially begin to connect w/ people in the area? And a HUGE thanks for posting your info. I've been wanting to figure a way into a more rewarding job. I've had men in my family supporting families w/ 3+ members doing road work and construction but unless you're a computer engineer in silicon valley or some other job that requires 8 years of college, you can forget making that kind of money as a woman.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:43 PM
n0x

16 posts, read 19,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus50yrs View Post
Yay a female perspective! Im seriously considering the move but Im a 52 year old female with concerns about my age effecting job opportunities. What are your thoughts?
I wish you luck on finding right job soon!
Has anyone heard from this poster? Just curious if she made it out there and if she's doing ok?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Are there alot of entry level jobs in ND? If so what kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston