Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:23 PM
n0x

16 posts, read 19,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Are there alot of entry level jobs in ND? If so what kind?
The OP had a few listed on her very first post. If you are looking to get directly into the oil field you could go with some of the bigger companies as frac hands. The pay is low but there are so many avenues for advancement and training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:47 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0x View Post
The OP had a few listed on her very first post. If you are looking to get directly into the oil field you could go with some of the bigger companies as frac hands. The pay is low but there are so many avenues for advancement and training.
What are the salary ranges?

Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM

21 posts, read 40,399 times
Default New Update

Well here is another update to my original post in 2012. Wow I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I will first give you all a brief summary of my work history since i got here.

I came from So California and did not know where i would end up or who i would work for. I expected I'd get a job as a waitress maybe. I arrived in Watford City and camped for three days. I met people online who were already here and they were great help. One let me use their apartment in dickenson for a couple days while i started searching for jobs. Another person gave me a job lead in the Stanley area so i headed up there to interview for a job as a roller operator on a county road project. I got the job and started two days later. A local resident had a 5th wheel available and let me stay there and waited for me to make my first check to get rent. I was housed and working within a week. Not everyone has the same experience as i did. I think what i did differently is I networked like crazy. On line at first, then at the local hangouts once i arrived. I talked to everyone, became part of the local community, that's what made the difference for me.

My first job was $15 hr operating a roller. I worked there till winter layoff in late Oct 2012. I found another job three days later at $22 hr. They put me in a scraper my first day building a rail bed. I worked there until layoff in December.

Winter i stayed in ND and worked at a local bar. I met all the locals and they kinda adopted me so i made it through the winter. I knew nothing about weather being from So Calif, so it was a learning experience to have to remember things like don't leave liquids of any kind in the car or they will freeze, always have food and blankets, pipes freezing, etc..

After winter the work season started back up and i went back to work in construction. I was a returning crew member so my wages went up to $24 hr plus i had medical coverage after 400 hrs of work. They also gave me $20 day per diem for housing. By then i had moved out of the 5th wheel and into a basement apartment. My landlord is a local old timer and is absolutely amazing. I've gotten to know everyone and feel very connected. I kept paying my apt during the 2013 work season even though i was living in a camper on the jobsite in Epping ND. I operated a Loader, dozer, skidsteer and scraper there. I even got to play on a Blade. At the end of the work season I was laid off and came back to my apartment.

Rather than take layoff i worked for a small company that built oil pads for EOG. I ran a scraper and worked through the winter with the frozen ground. I learned a lot from that job, my boss let me operate everything and taught me a lot.

I decided to send my resume to the Local 49 Union after seeing they were recruiting throughout ND. I received a call the next day and was placed on a job building a new rail track for BNSF. They happen to be working next to where i live, so i get to stay at my place and don't have a commute for now. Eventually we will progress further down the line and i will have to drive a little.

My total hourly pay now is $25.40 hr ($38.15 hr total including health/pension/benefit package)
I also will be going to MN this winter during layoff to attend the training center for union members. The union pays for the classes and provides a free hotel room while there. I will probably stay working union jobs for the next five years so i will vested in the pension.

So Thats the update. I am now a heavy equipment operator, far from my former job as a social worker.

Good luck to all of you!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal__Kathy View Post
Well here is another update to my original post in 2012. Wow I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I will first give you all a brief summary of my work history since i got here.

I came from So California and did not know where i would end up or who i would work for. I expected I'd get a job as a waitress maybe. I arrived in Watford City and camped for three days. I met people online who were already here and they were great help. One let me use their apartment in dickenson for a couple days while i started searching for jobs. Another person gave me a job lead in the Stanley area so i headed up there to interview for a job as a roller operator on a county road project. I got the job and started two days later. A local resident had a 5th wheel available and let me stay there and waited for me to make my first check to get rent. I was housed and working within a week. Not everyone has the same experience as i did. I think what i did differently is I networked like crazy. On line at first, then at the local hangouts once i arrived. I talked to everyone, became part of the local community, that's what made the difference for me.

My first job was $15 hr operating a roller. I worked there till winter layoff in late Oct 2012. I found another job three days later at $22 hr. They put me in a scraper my first day building a rail bed. I worked there until layoff in December.

Winter i stayed in ND and worked at a local bar. I met all the locals and they kinda adopted me so i made it through the winter. I knew nothing about weather being from So Calif, so it was a learning experience to have to remember things like don't leave liquids of any kind in the car or they will freeze, always have food and blankets, pipes freezing, etc..

After winter the work season started back up and i went back to work in construction. I was a returning crew member so my wages went up to $24 hr plus i had medical coverage after 400 hrs of work. They also gave me $20 day per diem for housing. By then i had moved out of the 5th wheel and into a basement apartment. My landlord is a local old timer and is absolutely amazing. I've gotten to know everyone and feel very connected. I kept paying my apt during the 2013 work season even though i was living in a camper on the jobsite in Epping ND. I operated a Loader, dozer, skidsteer and scraper there. I even got to play on a Blade. At the end of the work season I was laid off and came back to my apartment.

Rather than take layoff i worked for a small company that built oil pads for EOG. I ran a scraper and worked through the winter with the frozen ground. I learned a lot from that job, my boss let me operate everything and taught me a lot.

I decided to send my resume to the Local 49 Union after seeing they were recruiting throughout ND. I received a call the next day and was placed on a job building a new rail track for BNSF. They happen to be working next to where i live, so i get to stay at my place and don't have a commute for now. Eventually we will progress further down the line and i will have to drive a little.

My total hourly pay now is $25.40 hr ($38.15 hr total including health/pension/benefit package)
I also will be going to MN this winter during layoff to attend the training center for union members. The union pays for the classes and provides a free hotel room while there. I will probably stay working union jobs for the next five years so i will vested in the pension.

So Thats the update. I am now a heavy equipment operator, far from my former job as a social worker.

Good luck to all of you!
That is great news. Talk about job mobility going up the ladder. That wouldn't happen here as you would probably end up homeless like alot of people are since resources here are all used up and people here are mean and not friendly.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:03 PM
acw

72 posts, read 73,139 times
Kudos to So_cal Girl.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 PM

21 posts, read 40,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Thanks for the update. That's outstanding! It is always good to hear some feedback on results, good or bad. Too many times we have people asking questions ans once they find good, substantial work, we never hear from them again. maybe they are too busy, we can only hope.

If you could give one word of advice, for new comers, what would it be?
My Advice for newcomers

Appreciate the beauty of north dakota and respect the land and the people first. Too many people come from out of state and complain about how much they hate it here, they don't respect the opportunity ND is offering them and they just need to go home.

Regarding job search, know that you will be changing jobs several times within your first year here. So just take any job you can find and once youre settled you will meet people and eventually get the leads on better jobs. Doesn't matter if youre looking for entry level or skilled, its the same regardless. I've been here two years now and its always the same. People find a job, then find a better job, and then another better job.... eventually you will top out. Don't focus on finding the perfect job initially.

Also, factor in the cost of gas/fuel when you come up. Everything is pretty far from each other and 100 miles is not uncommon to drive for a job lead.

Network Network Network... start with bars and cafe's. Talk to people, thats how you find housing and jobs. BE RESPECTFUL and by a round. Doesn't take much to break the ice with people up here. Although in Watford City it may take a little longer, they have been overwhelmed by the boom and are more guarded than other places in my opinion.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
My Advice for newcomers

Appreciate the beauty of north dakota and respect the land and the people first. Too many people come from out of state and complain about how much they hate it here, they don't respect the opportunity ND is offering them and they just need to go home.

Regarding job search, know that you will be changing jobs several times within your first year here. So just take any job you can find and once youre settled you will meet people and eventually get the leads on better jobs. Doesn't matter if youre looking for entry level or skilled, its the same regardless. I've been here two years now and its always the same. People find a job, then find a better job, and then another better job.... eventually you will top out. Don't focus on finding the perfect job initially.

Also, factor in the cost of gas/fuel when you come up. Everything is pretty far from each other and 100 miles is not uncommon to drive for a job lead.

Network Network Network... start with bars and cafe's. Talk to people, thats how you find housing and jobs. BE RESPECTFUL and by a round. Doesn't take much to break the ice with people up here. Although in Watford City it may take a little longer, they have been overwhelmed by the boom and are more guarded than other places in my opinion.
THAT'S GREAT. sounds like people are friendly there unlike here.
So your adivice is take any job you can get?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,135 times
Quote:
My Advice for newcomers

Wow! What a great adventure you're having!!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 28,429 times
Kathy, I am sure thankful that you kept updating this post. It is real encouraging to women. I plan to come, not sure when, maybe middle of winter. I always wear a dress (no matter what the weather), so am not suited for outdoor work. I've lived in Idaho and other states, used to cold weather and snow, just not as cold as there. I wear sandals until the snow comes above them

I have high office skills. When I come, I will be living in my truck and looking for work. I hear they have put a stop to that, so you need to park without being detected. I really, really, need to have these questions answered. I might even come sooner. I'm thinking of starting out in Minot.

1) Where can a person get a shower? I heard there might be places for a $2 shower.
2) Where can a person park their truck for sleeping without getting run off?
3) Is there somewhere similar to Barnes & Noble where a person can hang out until late without getting run off? I can't stay in my truck all evening, before sleeping.
4) How does the extreme cold affect cell phones? Since I probably will be in the cold 8-10 hours a night, this is important.

I really appreciate any tips you can give. I have already started applying for jobs. I am trying to get my house ready to sell here. I have a good job here, that I will be leaving to come there.

TIA.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM

16 posts, read 30,085 times
If you're thinking of coming in the middle of winter, don't live in your truck. There's a good chance we won't get anymore updates from you if you do. The temps can get consistently forty below, and you're asking for trouble trying to live out of a vehicle at that level of cold. Find housing first, or come in the summer/fall so you can get housing before winter hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston