Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been catching my self up with the forum topics, and everyone has helped me alot.
However, I am planning on attending Williston state college and want to take something to help me with the job market up there relating to something in oil. These are the choices

1.Diesel Technology = 2 years
2.Welding Technology = 2 years
3. Petroleum Production Technology: Service Rig = 6 months
4. skip them all and try to do a CDL class

I prefer to be a wire line operator, but I will take anything that could lead to a good paying salary.
Out of all which will be a good choice or lead to something good in the future. Any advice will be helpful, I just don't want to invest into something and I don't get a job or a low paying job.

extra info. I have secure housing for right now waiting 4 me up there, I just want to make sure that I can get a good paying job. Also is wire-line operators still in demand and is there room for growth like the other job titles.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I have a different take. If you were my son, I'd tell you since you have the hardest part covered....housing...I'd suggest that you go right to work applying for the various positions. I am a firm believer that hands on experience gets you further than school, plus you are earning right away. Also, I've heard that several of the companies will pay for rig training courses, which more or less ensures their hands act safely. I'd certainly look into this first before spending money and committing to school unless you have to.Your choice, but this is my suggestion.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM

73 posts, read 175,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkndll604 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been catching my self up with the forum topics, and everyone has helped me alot.
However, I am planning on attending Williston state college and want to take something to help me with the job market up there relating to something in oil. These are the choices

1.Diesel Technology = 2 years
2.Welding Technology = 2 years
3. Petroleum Production Technology: Service Rig = 6 months
4. skip them all and try to do a CDL class

I prefer to be a wire line operator, but I will take anything that could lead to a good paying salary.
Out of all which will be a good choice or lead to something good in the future. Any advice will be helpful, I just don't want to invest into something and I don't get a job or a low paying job.

extra info. I have secure housing for right now waiting 4 me up there, I just want to make sure that I can get a good paying job. Also is wire-line operators still in demand and is there room for growth like the other job titles.
Thanks
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Hi,
I want to commend you on wanting to seek an education that will help you work into a decent paying job. A lot of young people look at two years and feel that is too long to wait. I always feel an education is something that can not be taken from you no matter what and will give you something to fall back on if need be.
That being said: I do not know what the oil companies need for training but I can tell you that diesel mechanics are in great demand in ND with ND being an agricultural state. A buddy of my son actually was sent to school free for two years from our local Ag dealer for Diesel Mechanics and now that he is graduated he is guaranteed a job with good pay, has to work for them for x number of years, or he can chosoe to not work for them and pay the schooling back. That degree would be something you could use elsewhere besides the oil fields if you chose.

Also, a good degree for someone to look into right now is engery. People are all set on the oil but ND and other states have some large coal and a gasification plants that do start people with high salaries.

A Power or Process degree from Bismarck State College is a two year degree. Tuition for the two year program runs about $9000.00 My son just graduated in May with a Power Plant degree from BSC and immediately was hired to intern for a gasification plant which turned to full time. He then was asked to interview at several power plants and accepted the postion at one. Pay is $21.00 to $25.00 an hour starting, with full benefits(health insurance, vision insurance, health and vacation pay, 401 K, life insurance etc..) They move up the ladder quite quickly with on the job training and he will receive an $11.00 bump in pay shortly. They also reimburse at some locations for college tuition, a certain percentage will be reimbursed each year for the first two years up to 50 percent. So that $9000.00 tuition will be cut in half.

The energy positions are in high demand right now,not just in ND but WY, IA and other states as well. The people working in the energy jobs are retireing and they are now hiring and will be for several years. An example is the gasification plant where my son worked prior is accepting 12 new interns this coming summer, if they work out will be hired on full time at $25.00 an hour. BSC has a brand new state of the art energy center for teaching, they have dorms and financial aide is available, its a nice small campus similiar to Williston State in size.

Also Wind Energy is big right now in ND and other states. Devils Lake State College has a great two year wind energy program with a high percentage of its graduates being hired right out of college. A friend of my son was hired) right after graduation) with a wind energy company(He has a Process Plant Degree from BSC)- so these degrees to carry over to other energy jobs.

Wind energy jobs also pay quite well. Devils Lake State College is also a small campus, with dorms and financial aide available. The tuition there would be similiar to Williston or Bismarck colleges.

Just thought I would toss a few more ideas out there for you as you seem like someone who wants to get a degree to get a good job.

Good luck in whatever you do and if you need any additional information feel free to PM me.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM

18 posts, read 39,126 times
Does your son get housing paid for?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Great leads. I would encourage anyone to check on reciprocity and N.D. state resident requirements for some of those college and agency programs mentioned. UND is also starting new energy programs. Lots of options possible.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena52 View Post
Does your son get housing paid for?

No, the power, gas and wind tower companies do not pay housing. But these jobs are not temp jobs so they will be able to keep them for a lifetime. The workers who work these jobs are retireing after being at them for 30 or 40 yrs or so...

Housing is an issue at some places they are located because of oil near the area, but not nearly as bad as the Bakken area. In other areas housing is not an issue at all. Right now he rents.Rent is not too bad compared to other areas of the state.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM

18 posts, read 39,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgrrl View Post
No, the power, gas and wind tower companies do not pay housing. But these jobs are not temp jobs so they will be able to keep them for a lifetime. The workers who work these jobs are retireing after being at them for 30 or 40 yrs or so...

Housing is an issue at some places they are located because of oil near the area, but not nearly as bad as the Bakken area. In other areas housing is not an issue at all. Right now he rents.Rent is not too bad compared to other areas of the state.
Thanks for response! I totally agree that he did the right thing! Ive been in this industry for 9 yrs, and you are right the jobs, pay, and benfits are great! Reason i ask about the Bakkan is?" Why wouldnt these companies not be paying for housing and stipends, when their future depends on people like us, I have a great resume and 9 yrs experiance. I want to move closer to home, but why would a person like me do that when rent is $2500 a month for a house?? The drilling and travellers will some day be gone, take the money and run from this cold place us natives call home?, but they will need permanent people like us to keep things running????? I would rather be in ND or MT than living the life i have for the last 9 yrs, living in texas, oklahoma, wyoming, utah, colorado, and california! They need to be taking care of housing for the people that will still be here working when the rush is over!!!! Good luck to your son, he will make a very good living for himself, and I hope things change cause he will leave the state for lower cost of living, and that cost of living is also keeping experianced guys like me, away from moving back to where i want to be!!!! Also wanted to say the pay for these positions is even a little lower in ND! Go figure????

Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM

HI,

The cost of living is not the same as the bakken where he lives, yes the rent is higher then it used to be in ND but it is still nothing like the bakken. They are not oil related so no, no housing is offered. I have known people who have worked with energy for years and never have they offered housing incentives. The pay is usually good enough- especially for ND standards- that they never had to worry about it. People get a degree for the jobs and stay in these jobs.The only reason for turnover right now is people are starting to retire.The turn over has nothing to do with the oil in ND at the moment. They are not worried about offering housing as their workers still are able to find it, though rentals not totally easy as it would have been before.

Right now he pays $750 for a two bedroom apartment with a garage. The same place he is now renting used to rent for $450.00 a month before the start of his intership an oil company went into the small town and bought up 400 rental units causing the renters to leave and scramble to find additonal houseing.
I do agree, I hope rent does not continue to go up or he could end up moving out of state, WY already offered him a job.

I am not sure what you have for a degree or what you have been working doing before, but have you ever considered living in a diff part of the state away from the Bakken? Rent is cheaper. Fargo for instance has become one of the cheaper places in the state to rent. The smaller towns also offer cheaper rent and inexpensive homes to purchase.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Great leads. I would encourage anyone to check on reciprocity and N.D. state resident requirements for some of those college and agency programs mentioned. UND is also starting new energy programs. Lots of options possible.

I should have mentioned the tuition numbers I gave for BSC is based on my son being an instate student. The schools in ND do offer reciprocity for the boardering states. Out of state tuition is higher, but still in my opinion well worth having a degree you can get a good job once you finish school.

Calling the respective schools would be a good idea to find out more specific information or a lot of information can be found online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston