Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 AM

128 posts, read 344,861 times

Advertisements

How much is the grocery price like? and other questions
Quote:
I shop at all 3 food stores in Williston. Walmart I visit every 3 weeks or so and stock up on non-perishables or frozen items. Their prices are usually always better than anywhere else. I like Economart because of the quality of the beef (Angus) and Albertson's because of some products that are sold at Jewel Food Stores in the Chicago area (products that I've eaten for years) that are only sold at Albertson's here in Williston. The nice thing is that Albertson's honors the Jewel preferred card I shopped with in Chicago for years.

It's a pain to have to go to all 3 to shop, but I like what I like and put forth the extra effort to buy certain products.

Walmart can be a zoo to shop in (especially here in Williston with them being understaffed and shelves sometimes picked clean), but I'll buy over $100 worth of groceries and other things all with just one stop.
If they're understaffed is it possible to just show up one day from out of state and then get hired right away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Possibly, but why would you want to relocate to a strange area for the purpose of working at Walmart? The Walmart in Williston probably pays more than Walmarts elsewhere, but the cost of housing is also sky-high along with other aspects of the cost-of-living. Unless you already have a place you can live rent free (grandparents, etc.) then you'd probably be better off working at a Walmart someplace where the cost of housing isn't so prohibitive.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
I'm not sure what kind of background checks Walmart does, but I would think that if your background is clean and you present yourself in a clean, neat and professional manner you likely would get hired on the spot. There was a sign outside Walmart recently advertising $17 per hour and I confirmed that with one employee inside Walmart in casual conversation. He indicated that they are presently short nearly 200 people (both full and part time).

But, just as Bhaalspawn said housing is the big problem. I don't know if Walmart provides housing to employees (such as in a man camp), but if you can't locate something reasonable in cost (pretty unlikely) that hourly rate won't go very far. The only advantage would be to actually get yourself to Williston via a Walmart job then start looking for something paying better. But at least you'll be physically here and can carry out a job search much more successfully.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
There was a sign outside Walmart recently advertising $17 per hour and I confirmed that with one employee inside Walmart in casual conversation. He indicated that they are presently short nearly 200 people (both full and part time).
Holy cow! I had never imagined that Walmart would ever go that high anywhere, ever. The corporate execs must be sick at the thought of it.

Quote:
The only advantage would be to actually get yourself to Williston via a Walmart job then start looking for something paying better. But at least you'll be physically here and can carry out a job search much more successfully.
I was thinking that as well. It might help to provide a foothold on the area for someone who aspires to a higher paying job in the Bakken. But where exactly you live while you're at the Walmart, I have no idea.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Holy cow! I had never imagined that Walmart would ever go that high anywhere, ever. The corporate execs must be sick at the thought of it.

Walmart wouldn't hire people for $17/hr in Williston if they couldn't earn a profit there.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Walmart wouldn't hire people for $17/hr in Williston if they couldn't earn a profit there.
I'm sure the store makes plenty of money. A lot of people shop there including a significant amount of people from Montana. And yes, I'm sure the executives are sick about having to pay wages like that. If they could get away with it, I'm sure they would pay less than minimum wage.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM

113 posts, read 230,793 times
People stand in line at Walmart forever to pay for the items...Money isn't in shortage there.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Sure, Anything is possible...But you can freeze to death in N.D. w/out housing. Plan accordingly...

Another helpful video from....PoetSkinny, famous for his helpful oil field videos...an update w/ information about winter in North Dakota. Especially for readers that do not have housing lined up. North Dakota Oil Jobs Update (January 2012) - YouTube

Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM

24 posts, read 103,762 times
Default walmart and teenagers

I am taking my thre teenagers to williston just so I can take them away from the games and sick druggies friends and teach them to start making money on their own, have you heard anything about walmart hiring teenagers, pleas elet me know, thanks

Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
chopperpilot...Please be aware that the housing shortages are severe in Williston. Taking? as in moving them with you? I hope. Three teens, unless you are going to be available, Williston would not be a good atmosphere at all for three teens alone....it may even be worse than where you are already.
Walmart is paying good money, but you still need to have a place to live. As far as jobs, and hiring policies..check the Walmart websites for that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston