Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM

125 posts, read 260,058 times

Advertisements

This was kind of interesting, talking about the ratio of men to women in Williston and how the women get hit on constantly by the men. I would think that would get old pretty fast, and could be scary at times:

Commentary: North Dakota's oil boom has put pressure on women | StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
I honestly haven't had much of a problem. I have NEVER been approached like that in WalMart, but I often have my own kid or my friends kids with me and I think that it works as a wonderful deterrent lol.

I have to say though that I have had one "creeper" moment. I went to J Dub's with a friend for just a couple drinks. We arrived and her husbands co-workers and boss were there so we went over to say hi. We sat down and chatted for a bit. I mentioned I was married, had a kid, etc. One of the guys mentioned he was engaged then asked if we were into swinging or if I was interested in some alone time with another guy. I was pretty grossed out and let him know that I was not interested. He was still making passes at me until my friend (who knew the guy was an adamant Christian) told everyone I was an atheist. After that he was turned off and went on about how religious he was.

I had to go home and tell my husband, the best part is how he went on and on about Jesus and the bible... yet he wanted me to cheat on my husband with him.

However for all the years I've been here I think I've done pretty well at flying under the radar!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
I guess I'm very curious about this writer who said she met a guy at Wal-Mart who then called her later that night to invite her on a date...she declined....and he called her 2 more times. Well geeeeeeezzzzzz Louizzzze.... I guess you might get called by a guy if you give him your phone number. Nothing like sending mixed messages when you give out your number to a guy you just met at Wal-Mart? Or am I missing something here?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
I guess I'm very curious about this writer who said she met a guy at Wal-Mart who then called her later that night to invite her on a date...she declined....and he called her 2 more times. Well geeeeeeezzzzzz Louizzzze.... I guess you might get called by a guy if you give him your phone number. Nothing like sending mixed messages when you give out your number to a guy you just met at Wal-Mart? Or am I missing something here?
Wondered the same thing. But then once she mentioned getting texts from the three guys mentioned at the end of the article, I figure she must've made her number available for interviewing purposes...I guess? Honestly I'm still not sure why anyone mentioned in the story would've needed to have her number...obviously doing so did provide her with some material for her story

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Oh I agree. She gave her number out... what did she expect?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM

125 posts, read 260,058 times
Yeah I kind of wondered why these guys had her phone number too, maybe she had a business card so they would know she was a reporter working on a story? Not too sensible though.

I thought lisan23's story about someone saying she was an atheist to get a guy to stop hitting on her was funny. I always thought the way to turn guys off would be to pretend to be a totally loopy Jesus freak instead! :-)

I never checked the Alaska forum to see if there were any similar threads to this one, I've always heard about the high ratio of men to women there, perhaps it's like how Williston is described in this article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: