Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 AM

405 posts, read 1,279,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Sounds kind of low, doesn't it? That's $1400 a week...

Again, that includes housing in a double wide mobile home he has there.
And from what I've seen housing is sky high in the area.
I'd probably pay $500 to $700 a week for a decent place from what I hear.
I could probably make more working for the oil companies 7 days/89 hrs a week.
But I won't have any life either and probably burn out.
I think its a good deal for starters.
Plus I've worked for him before so we know what to expect from each other.

Last edited by GM1258; 12-03-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Again, that includes housing in a double wide mobile home he has there.
Yeah, I saw that.

Still sounds low to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 PM

I can't complain too much.
If he was going to pay more I'd hafta shell out the difference on an overpriced apt or hotel.
I'd probably end up with less in the end.
Another thing to consider is that most of my experience is OTR and regional work (dry van, reefer, doubles).
I do have some experience with tri-axle vacuum trucks and hauling sand, hot asphalt, demolition, & paving.
And that's exactly what they're doing up there...roadwork, DOT, and the railroad.
I don't have any experience in the oilfields except for just shy of a year working the Marcellus Shale in PA.
Not near enough for those mega outfits up there.
And like I was sayin, I'm not up to workin 7 days/99 hrs a week for a month or two at a stretch.
So while the money isn't top dollar it's good well enough for what I need.
And I like the 5 on/2 off schedule, housing arrangements, and a crew I'm already familiar with.
And he's willing to pay me in CASH!

Last edited by GM1258; 12-03-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM

142 posts, read 417,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Sounds kind of low, doesn't it? That's $1400 a week...
With housing not so terrible but often once people get out here and see how much more can be made they rethink their original deal. There are still several major players in the trucking industry in the Bakken that offer affordable housing, most paying much more than $20 an hour.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Upnorth View Post
With housing not so terrible but often once people get out here and see how much more can be made they rethink their original deal. There are still several major players in the trucking industry in the Bakken that offer affordable housing, most paying much more than $20 an hour.

Again, most of those oil companies wanna run you 7 days/89 hrs a week for a month straight.
If I ran a schedule like that I could certainly make more doing just about anything -- if I didn't
drop from exhaustion first.
And some of these mega players wanna bill you something for yer housing.
So while you might make more than $20 an hour with those guys yer housing comes out of that too.
And it remains to be seen what affordable housing is in Williston.
Looking at some other threads re: housing on here I see apts and houses going for
$2k to $3k a month with utilities respectively. That's a bit much.
Working 70 plus hrs a week I'd hafta earn another 7 or 8 bucks an hour to pay for that (w/OT).
Its not what you earn -- but what you keep.
And I'll take $20 hr, a free double wide, and a 5 day on/2 day off schedule any day.

Last edited by GM1258; 12-05-2013 at 12:57 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I'm going to bet once you're up there a few weeks you'll probably see that you're underpaid.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM

65 posts, read 117,362 times
The Williston DOT licensing branch has been pretty quiet lately with no customer that I know of waiting more than 10 minutes the past week. Now's the time to transfer your license or take your "written" (computerized these days) tests. I've heard Dickinson has had some quieter days too. Perhaps there will be a mini rush after the holidays. The busiest hour has been that 1-2pm period. A new examiner will be added this month so wait times during the the spring blitz should be improved. The joint closes Thursdays and sets up what amounts to a mobile licensing center at the library in Watford City the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month and up in Crosby the 2nd Thursday. If you're transferring a license from out of state then you must bring a state/county certified birth certificate, passport, or non-spousal military ID. We've had to turn away a number of people who failed to bring one of those documents. If you don't have a birth certificate in possession then visit vitalrec dot com and see how to obtain one. If your license is suspended in another state then you must also clear that up as the PDPS will find those hits.

There has been a lot of interest in HazMat endorsements lately. If you have a year or more left on your TSA cert then we can indeed get that transferred after you pass the endorsement written test. If you're completely new to HazMat then go to the TSA HazMat website to see what you need to do. That's where it all starts. Good luck out there.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM

155 posts, read 421,122 times
How far out booked up are you guys for driving tests cdl wise?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 PM

65 posts, read 117,362 times
About five to six weeks BUT there are frequent cancellations and no-shows so it is quite possible to get in sooner.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
Default company sponsored cdl training | company paid cdl training

For transferring a CDL endorsements to north Dakota, the following required documents are,
when you become a resident of north dakoda you need to start organizing your documents to apply for a new cdl in north Dakota. The document needed is a medical examination copy signed by a licensed physician, social security card as well as your birth certificate or passport. The process fee for a transfer cdl and the knowledge test is $57, while a transfer with a knowledge and skills exam require a $87.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston