Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times

Advertisements

Nice article in Minneapolis paper. Conditions are similar to Irag and Afghistan with weather, loneliness and workplace surprises, veterans are better able to tolerate the Bakken and thrive.

For veterans, North Dakota oil fields have become the next deployment | Star Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
About 2 years ago an old deployment buddy of mine separated from the military for work in Williston. He was only able to tolerate the environment for about a year. He told me that the money was superb but the conditions sucked big time. So he went back to Afghanistan for contract work as a civilian making about the same amount of money.

I could not believe he left a great paying job in the states for similar pay in a war zone.

We were deployed together twice(Iraq and Afghanistan). He was the type to complain daily about how much of a **** hole our deployment locations were. Always talked about how he could not wait to leave.

Oh well...I guess ND really is that bad.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-03-2014 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
Yeah, nice try von949...always someone trying to bash ND. I seriously don't believe your story. I have a feeling your "buddy" just couldn't handle the work...not the state. Guess his choice to go back to Afghanistan pretty much tells you North Dakota was the ONLY place he could get a job. Him leaving the United States just opened up a job for someone else. I wish him luck in Afghanistan though.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM

42 posts, read 66,825 times
I could only take four months of ND myself. Got tired of Wal*Mart running out of toilet paper…LOL

Naah…I just got a better paying job closer to home and I didn't enjoy living out of an RV. I hear that things are better up there now.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Yeah, nice try von949...always someone trying to bash ND. I seriously don't believe your story. I have a feeling your "buddy" just couldn't handle the work...not the state. Guess his choice to go back to Afghanistan pretty much tells you North Dakota was the ONLY place he could get a job. Him leaving the United States just opened up a job for someone else. I wish him luck in Afghanistan though.
Not bashing ND at all. I may even head that way after I separate. I am sure it was the hard physical work that played a part in my friend's decision to leave.

If I can get his permission, I will post my "buddy's" YouTube channel.

BTW, its good that you defend your state, I see so much bashing over in the Nevada forum, we could use someone like you.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
Thanks von949...meant no disrespect to your post. Yeah, I and many others get kind of tired of SOME people who come here for good paying jobs that are saving their homes and families back in their home states, but bash and trash North Dakota as often as they can. But in all honesty, some of us in North Dakota complain about the weather now and then... I'm cursing it today and will be again tomorrow! But for the most part, I think the majority new people moving here are just glad to be working. North Dakota is definitely not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston