U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use the sleeping quarters and shower trailers as described if they were available for $50
Yes I would use the facilities if they were are available 3 60.00%
No I would prefer an apartment 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM

18,696 posts, read 37,084,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If I am to go up there, I will first take a short vacation to the area and scout out first. Then go and home and make a final decision. But I am really interested in seeing the development. Williston must be a hot topic on college campuses amongst the urban adminstration, and planning faculty and majors.

Plus why do they need public sewage drains? Why not just go with private septic tanks? As for power how about wind and solar on every structure, or just diesel generators? You obviously have plenty of oil around.
Quote:
Yeh why not?
Septic tanks and drain fields are great, if you have a family of 6. They simply will not work when you have a business like a man camp with 500. It will not work for a commercial business either. There are laws and restrictions. Some places, because of the ground perk test, you are not authorized a septic system anyhow, even if it was for only 6 people.

Diesel Generator? You are kidding right? How about cost effectiveness? Thousands of dollars per day, where electric hookup would be 1/10 of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,531,853 times
Quote:
You obviously have plenty of oil around.
That fact is irrelevant. How much oil is being produced here matters not.

It has to be separated into it's components and refined.

One of the biggest ( money ) "manufactured products" exported by the US is refined petroleum products.

Venezuela and Iran are a couple of the largest importers of gasoline, for instance - even though they are a couple of the largest oil producers.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:37 AM

83 posts, read 243,783 times
Quote:
Plus why do they need public sewage drains? Why not just go with private septic tanks? As for power how about wind and solar on every structure, or just diesel generators? You obviously have plenty of oil around.
There's also the simple fact that the soil may not "perc" in that area to accept in-ground septic systems...

ElkHunter makes some excellent points too. Generator power would be cost prohibitive. Yes, there's a LOT of oil in the ground there, but you can't simply pour it into a generator fuel tank without it going to a refinery first. There's railcar after railcar of that product being shipped to New Brunswick, Canada to the Irving Oil refinery over on the eastern seaboard as we speak, among other locations nationwide...so it'll be a while before it's ready to pour into a fuel tank.

I can guarantee one thing's for sure after lerking and reading these posts here about all this oil field work and "boom" going on in N. Dakota... I personally decided that all the 6 figure jobs that are there are no where near worth the aggravation to live there during this big push. If I can't make it at HOME, I can't make it anywhere is my feeling. I did that relocation thing to a disaster relief/debris cleanup project back in 2005-06 in the south where it's warm...it was still a gigantic farse and whenever you cluster too many people into a smaller-than-planned-for area, you usually end up with a cluster-#@$K.

If these "big oil" companies want qualified help, workers, skilled labor, then let those necktie wearers create affordable housing for their own people. Why should a man uproot himself, travel a couple thousand miles headed to chase his dream of big money, only to find he'd spend 1/2 of it to live in these adverse conditions? Just my .02...what do I know.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 PM

360 posts, read 701,677 times
Quote:
If I am to go up there, I will first take a short vacation to the area and scout out first. Then go and home and make a final decision. But I am really interested in seeing the development. Williston must be a hot topic on college campuses amongst the urban adminstration, and planning faculty and majors.

Smart man.
Scout the area first and then make a decision.

As far as septic: A septic system built to accommodate hundreds of people’s waste would be an environmental disaster. While it would have been possible prior to the 1960s in some areas, there simply no way that it would fly in the US of today. Too many people would line to sue whatever municipality approved something that would (not might) leak into their drinking water.

Also, Williston is trying to be too cautious with this boom. They borrowed money to upgrade their sewage system but they are seemingly forgetting that their electric infrastructure can barely support the numbers of people who have arrived in the area. Solar panels would be useless for much of the year in North Dakota and their fragility might not withstand the brutal winters.

While China runs many of its large factories off of diesel generators (they have to as their electrical system is an unfunny joke) they also have staggering issues with air pollution and an almost insatiable thirst for diesel to fuel them. If North Dakota even tried something like this, the EPA would be all over them like a football team on a buffet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or