U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use the sleeping quarters and shower trailers as described if they were available for $50
Yes I would use the facilities if they were are available 3 60.00%
No I would prefer an apartment 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 24,164 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a recently separated veteran and I was looking to go to Williston to alleviate the housing crises by starting a temporary housing business. I'm in the process of purchasing a 12 man trailer with private quarters that contains shelves and lockers along with access to a shower/restroom trailer. It would also have a common area with a kitchen. I plan to set up in an RV park that has access to power, sewage and water with a city permit. My question is as experienced truckers/oil field workers how likely would you use this temporary shelter? I was planning on charging $40-$50 a night with shower facilities included. After doing some research it's much cheaper than any hotel you would find in the area. I appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

David
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 AM

18,696 posts, read 37,069,612 times
In the oilfield, that's called a man camp, except you don't offer meals and maid service.

Have you considered the problem of parking? In any RV park, or mobile home park, each space is limited to having a maximum of 2 vehicles. In every RV park I have ever stayed in, there was a clause in their rules stating that each space could only have one family and they would charge extra for additional people. They did make exceptions when it was just two of us, my brother and I working construction, stayed in one trailer. They did not charge us extra for being multiple families.

Just something to consider. I also realize that there are mobile homes already shared by 2 or 3 guys. Matter of fact, my neighbor was in a mobile home in Williston, shared with 2 other guys. The third person that joined the group (my neighbor) had to park on the street, outside of the mobile home park.

Also, most RV parks, have a maximum size of rig rule set in place, so you might want to check into that. One park I was in out in SC, I had a 37 ft 5th wheel and I parked. A guy pulled in with a 43 ft rig and they sent him down the road to find a space elswhere. I realize that was in South Carolina, but having traveled the country for over 10 years, in a RV, I found that the rules set up in one, are almost word for word, the same in the next.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:02 AM

979 posts, read 3,435,256 times
To be honest, I don't think you will be able to follow through with your plan. Many have tried and have been shut down. As Elk Hunter already suggested, RV parks are limited to spaces, vehicles and number of people living in a unit. RV parks have to follow city and county ordinances, and the RV parks would never allow what you are planning to do in order to protect themselves from getting shut down. That is why there are man camps set up to house dozens to thousands of workers. You cannot buy land and set up your own man camp without a permit from Williams county.They currently are not permitting new licenses for man camps and are not even renewing permits for some man camps that are already established. The city of Williston and Williams county are trying to eliminate or cut back on man camps and transition into permanent housing. If you want to invest in say an apartment building and rent out to workers on a contract basis, that would be allowed, but not pulling in a 12 man trailer and renting it out to people in an RV park. You want to make sure you do your homework and check with both City and County ordinances before you try anything like you are suggesting. They are really coming down hard on anything to do with temporary housing. They have inspectors that actually go out and look for violations that do not follow ordinances and many temporary camps have been shut down and charged huge fines for violating ordinances. Do you homework is all I can suggest.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Thank you for the advice. It seems like it will be difficult to do. I did look through the city ordinances and I did see the moratorium on temporary housing but I thought that only referred to any built structure not mobile trailers.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:44 PM

I haven't invested any money yet and I'm just in the preliminary planning stages. After reading your posts and doing some of my own research on the ordinances I believe a better bet would be an apartment building. Do you think the the apartments would fill up quickly?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 PM

360 posts, read 701,170 times
You asked the same question about the Permian Basin and got the same answer. Frankly, the insurance costs and local municipal codes would make this idea impractical almost anywhere. The only place that you MIGHT be able to get away with it is if you renting space from a local farmer and parked your rig out there.

They might be interested in the extra income; but your tenants would have to make certain that they didn't interfere with the farmer's family or his livestock or the whole setup would have to go.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 AM

Yes it seems that unless I leave the county it's going to be tough to set it up.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 AM

7,340 posts, read 6,950,185 times
How many RV parks are there, and how many available spaces are there? I imagine by now they are filled up.

Will the county or lawmaking body decide to open up more RV parks, or grant more RV park licenses, so people can come in with trailers or what not to help alleviate the housing issue?

But honestly, if the oil companies can and are buying land or leasing the land to put up rigs and all the other structures needed for mineral extraction, they will need the workers who of course need shelter. So why are the oil companies not renting and buying land where they can put up enough shelters to house everyone too?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:26 AM

18,696 posts, read 37,069,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How many RV parks are there, and how many available spaces are there? I imagine by now they are filled up.

Will the county or lawmaking body decide to open up more RV parks, or grant more RV park licenses, so people can come in with trailers or what not to help alleviate the housing issue?

But honestly, if the oil companies can and are buying land or leasing the land to put up rigs and all the other structures needed for mineral extraction, they will need the workers who of course need shelter. So why are the oil companies not renting and buying land where they can put up enough shelters to house everyone too?
You've never been through an oil boom have you?

Most oil booms, hundreds, if not thousands of people move into an area. Homes are built, campgrounds spring up, convienience stores are thrown together and about then, the boom goes bust. New homes stand empty, stores are abandon and torn down. Williston has been burnt before. About 10 years ago, maybe a little longer, Williston went into a boom and was told it was a big one that would last for years. They built but it went bust anyhow. They were very Leary when this one got started.

The big oil company's bought up all the available housing. They bought up all the apartment space. They bought up all the motels in town. They bought up all of the mancamp space. The oil companies have the space needed to house their workers. It is the ancillary companies that are hurting. Some have bought space in mancamps.

Williston is not going to be burnt again. They have been very careful how to handle the boom. They have been guarded and have passed ordinances so that shacks are not thrown up. They have made sure that mancamps have not run wild with building. Instead they have planned growth. They have made sure that money poured into the town has went toward permanent structure so that the town grows proportionately. Fire stations, police, schools, and businesses have grown. As such, the housing today, is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago. Homes are being built, apartment houses, new streets, new schools, etc. Just because a few people think, panic. Doesn't mean that it has to ruin. a community and devastate the residents.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 PM

7,340 posts, read 6,950,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You've never been through an oil boom have you?

Most oil booms, hundreds, if not thousands of people move into an area. Homes are built, campgrounds spring up, convienience stores are thrown together and about then, the boom goes bust. New homes stand empty, stores are abandon and torn down. Williston has been burnt before. About 10 years ago, maybe a little longer, Williston went into a boom and was told it was a big one that would last for years. They built but it went bust anyhow. They were very Leary when this one got started.

The big oil company's bought up all the available housing. They bought up all the apartment space. They bought up all the motels in town. They bought up all of the mancamp space. The oil companies have the space needed to house their workers. It is the ancillary companies that are hurting. Some have bought space in mancamps.

Williston is not going to be burnt again. They have been very careful how to handle the boom. They have been guarded and have passed ordinances so that shacks are not thrown up. They have made sure that mancamps have not run wild with building. Instead they have planned growth. They have made sure that money poured into the town has went toward permanent structure so that the town grows proportionately. Fire stations, police, schools, and businesses have grown. As such, the housing today, is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago. Homes are being built, apartment houses, new streets, new schools, etc. Just because a few people think, panic. Doesn't mean that it has to ruin. a community and devastate the residents.
But when those hundreds and thousands of people arrive, is there already enough housing available? Why do I keep hearing about a shortage? Is this shortage not for the oil workers, but for everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or